Storage Solutions Memory card error...HELP!!

Hey guys...I wanted to transfer pics from my SD card to my laptop, through a card reader, but I am getting memory card error...same on the camera too...it was working fine on the camera until yesterday and now this mess...I am going nuts..help needed guys...

Would you be kind enough to educate us with:

1. Camera Make & Model

2. Card Reader Make & Model

3. Card Make, Capacity

4. What did you do (sach sach batana)

1. Camera Make & Model
It's Canon S3 IS

2. Card Reader Make & Model
Some local brand.

3. Card Make, Capacity
Just says Mini Drive, its 4GB.

4. What did you do (sach sach batana)
I inserted the card in the card reader, connected it to my laptop and was able to view the folders and also some thumbnails of some pics in a folder. Thats it. It just got stuck there. I removed the card reader and re-connected. But then I started getting a msg about the card not being formated and if I wanted to format the card. I obviously clicked NO.
Then tried checking the pics in the camera and there it says 'Memory Card Error':(

Tried CardRecovery software but nothing returned....I cannot afford to lose those photos.

1. Try with another card reader. Most laptops now also have built in card readers. Check with friends and neighbours.

2. Did the card/ reader become very hot? This can cause issue.

3. Does your card have the write protect tab on one side? Enable it and try, then disable and try again.

4. use a tool like r-studio ntfs to scan the card fully and dump recoverable data to your hdd.

axeman said:
1. Try with another card reader. Most laptops now also have built in card readers. Check with friends and neighbours.
Tried this already on my friends laptop. Its asking me to format the card.
axeman said:
2. Did the card/ reader become very hot? This can cause issue.
Not sure. Maybe a little.
axeman said:
3. Does your card have the write protect tab on one side? Enable it and try, then disable and try again.
Tried and failed.
axeman said:
4. use a tool like r-studio ntfs to scan the card fully and dump recoverable data to your hdd.
Will let you know about how it goes. But NTFS?

Yeah, R Studio FAT is also available, but R Studio NTFS has given me better results.

Alternate utilities are also there like Getdataback etc.

I tried Recover My Photos, and it recovered 93files so far...but when I try and open them, it says 'No preview available'

axeman said:
Yeah, R Studio FAT is also available, but R Studio NTFS has given me better results.

Alternate utilities are also there like Getdataback etc.
Not sure if I am doing it right, but R Studio doesnt seem to help...its looks complicated. Mind helping me get around it?

Getdataback for NTFS is not helping either and I am not able to download the same for FAT.

I desperately need to recover those photos.

R-Studio

Choose the device name

Right Click - Scan

Wait for completion

Right Click - Open drive files

Tick Mark Relevant Files

Right Click - Recover

^^ It recovered some files with weird extension...renamed the same to .jpg but it wont open, says 'No preview available'

EDIT: The files with weird file extension, that I mentioned above, are of about 2GB. It also recovered some .jpg files but when I try to preview them it says that they are corrupt and each file also has a red 'x' on their icons, in the files list. When I try to recover the same .jpg files, it says the files have bad sectors.
Now what?

Some screenshots:
badsectors.jpg

previewdv.jpg

filelistk.jpg

Looking at the screenshots:

1. Card may have gone for a toss. (I/O Error's)

2. You need to tickmark on ROOT, then go for recovery of files.

Memory card error...HELP!! [SOLVED]

axeman said:
2. You need to tickmark on ROOT, then go for recovery of files.

Did that..it recovers some 2GB files...a total of 70GB was mentioned in the recovery list...

EDIT: After trying about 8-9softwares and intense Google search the software that came to the rescue is 'Photo Rescue':hap2:

Photos have been recovered and so are the videos...

Thank for all you advices and help.

Back