PC Peripherals Memory Probs?

deejay said:
@ QF,

my second suggestion would have been to insert the offending module in different ram slots on ur m/b and try.
But since you have manually checked the rams independently and found the zion module as faulty

hopefully the "replaced" module from ur dealer will "work" properly. incase it does not you can post here for further diagnosis.

I don't know whether my comments are welcomed anymore...:S

Still my experience...

1. If they return the same ram back, i'll test it in all the available slots of mobo for a certain period of time...(see dejay's second suggestion..i'll try it as the first thing..as i find this simple step most often cures otherwise serious looking problems..don't ask me why..but it happens...

So test it in all slots till bsod happens..

2. If U find (I sincerely hope so) a slot that does not give bsod, I'll try to put the other ram in another slot which will run it in "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE". Ther r too many complications when u attempt to run rams from two different vendors in dual channel mode..or I may use only one ram...just to be on the safe side.(if Single channel mode is not possible)..maybe i'll go for one 512 ram, if u can exchange the zion and get a 512....(or try 512 and a 256, now sure it will run in single channel only...)

And if everything else fails....

Maybe, maybe, its time for a new mobo....

PS: The memory error results produced by memtest86 maynot exactly indicate that the ram is faulty...but in many cases... a faulty motherboard...or...psu...(as one of my friend's recently realised after an almost similar problem with his newly assembled pc...first he changed both his HDD, then both his memory and finally his intel mobo...not remembering the exact model..) I will also suggest gold memory test (Only if memtest86 gives errors during testing..), if u can get hold of a copy of it...

It's much more advanced...but its not free...

The GoldMemory is a diagnostic utility enabling thoroughly testing mistakeless

functions of memory subsystem of PC on process architecture x86 basis.

Special algorithms are used, which are very effective and do not directly

depend on actual type of memories or chipset used.

These algorithms simulate very complicated operations connected with intensive use of the

whole memory subsystem.

Separate modifications of algorithms mentioned are able to detect errors which

appear as result of wrong function of hardware

- wrong memory modules,motherboard,cache memory,chipset,CPU.

These tests are also able to detect possible mutual noncompatibility of mentioned components

or errors based on the wrong parameters setting memory subsystem

(setting chipset set in BIOS SETUP).

My two cents....

And Deejay does his goodwork again...do u work in pc maintenance???...I'm just a home pc user...:no:

Guys, kindly stick to the topic here. bad m/b, or stability of the system in general, is not the problem faced by QF.

it is just that his zion ram was not compatible with his m/b. (for any number of reasons). he has returned it and let us wait for his observations after he receives the module back. lets not "jump the gun" so to speak.

@ barbiegirl, no i do not "work" in any IT related project. uptil now my only financial involment in IT is one-way only as follows. spend ...upgrade ....spend ....upgrade .......Till infinity.

but i may consider starting a "Call Centre" in future. a 250 ~ 500 seater perhaps.

Barbiegirl said:
@Masky, See the quote....in my previous post...
If u were smart enuf... u shud hve known it was the reason..

"IT'S NOT USED" :cool2:

No hard feelings..pls...

No offense really ...But I'll diplomatically choose to ignore the second of your comments :no: ...."IT'S NOT USED" is different from "it's not a common application used today". My visit to the Corsair forums followed your comments if you look at the timestamps of my posts.

windiag aka Windows Memory Diagnostics aka WMD- nice acronym deejay - is referred to by many people though I'm not particularly aware of its history - never have had a RAM dying on me. I noticed a fleeting negative comment from someone in the net about this tool and windows reserved space....but nothing officially...so, some technical info on why/if it may not be trustworthy will be useful...

Came across this review, recent I believe, from pcstats.com where windiag's existence is acknowledged:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1565&page=3

So, is this tool still being actively supported by MS (not that it should be taken to imply that MS gave up on it once) ? And have you had Windows XP pop-ups suggesting that you should run this tool if there happens to be memory errors ?

From what I gather from deejay's post, that this tool is OK !

Simply this: if windiag, assuming that it is still actively supported by MS, reports that there are errors with my RAM BUT memtest doesn't say so, and there are no reserved space goofs or such, then will my local vendor still refuse to accept my RMA ?

As deejay asked you all,i kindly ask you all again to please stay on topic.
This thread is to help & not who/what is better,everyone his/her own opnion.

Thank you.

Staying on the topic :
1. Yes it is possible that Win98 may not show up memory errors but Win XP may.Why?Simply coz Win 98 uses a lot less memory than Win XP.U can't use more than 512mb in Win 98 but with XP u can use a whole lot more.
2. Simplest way to convince a dealer is to show him errors.What better than a simple floppy/cd of memtest/Winmem...
3. Dual channel is always tricky.
As u say both are hynix ,please confirm if the IC is the same i.e. D43,D5 or D4.Both D5 and d43 should work well @ 400 3-3-3-8(or even 2.5-3-3-7).The D4 chips are of lower quality and default to 3-4-4-9.It could be that the zion uses D4 chips(will be marked xxxxxxxx-d4) and so can't work with ur existing ram which may be d43 or d5.
4.Try to create that boot-cd,test each module individually.If they both pass ,then there is an incompatibility and u need to try lower timings and replace one.
If one fails,u know what to do.
5.I do not feel ur mobo is fault.

Stalkersoftware said:
If 1 of them is double sidded and the other is not. It could cause problems........................or is it only on 1 side?
@stalker
chips are on one side only.

@others
Thanks for the replies yet again..Another thanx to all for letting me know so much about memory. I've tried the modules on all slots, individually, jointly everything. So, none of the slots are faulty since the other hynix ram is working just fine. Now from all your comments, I feel its the mismatch in timings tats causing those BSODs. Hopefully, i'll get a replacement today (if the ram is indeed faulty) or they'll return me the same module. I'll try out the suggestions one by one:
1. Set the SPD to manual from BIOS.
2. If still get BSOD, do a memtest for 2+ hours.
and confirm the prob.

My feeling is tat the first one will solve this problem. I hope its not a mobo problem or else i'll have to say bbye to PC and internet for 2 months,,,u know intel replacement policy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stalkersoftware said:
Well this might not help but, you could try and update your bios.
What version of the bios is the board using? Make sure you have p24.
I'm using P21 now..
if u insist, i'll try tat as well :) thanx.

QuickFire said:
@stalker

My feeling is tat the first one will solve this problem. I hope its not a mobo problem or else i'll have to say bbye to PC and internet for 2 months,,,u know intel replacement policy ;)
Qf,

You really talk funny sometimes.:huh: :ashamed:
as long as deejay is here , & if ur m/b is screwed, u will be have to say bbye to internet for as long as it takes for the courier co. to transport goods from mumbai to ur place. + ur assembling time.:D
I always keep a spare. I got a totally unused i865 PE chipset m/b lying as spare. which i will gladly lend it to you.(provided you do not mod or o/c it & promise to return it intact);)
ps: I have to keep the admins in good spirits.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha, kewl offer from Deejay ;)

but i really dont think that its a MOBO problem, it is definetly the latency that is causing it, why and how is expertly explained by our hardware guru at TE, deejay ;)

Staying on topic...

1. the microsoft memory diagnostic utility: U will be really lucky atleast if u can boot into that boot floppy.....forget 'bout the testing part....period.

2. Why shud Qf compromise (or relax) on his memory settings...when he is under warranty for both memory and mobo and can replace either if found faulty...

3. And as I pointed out, the gold memory test can exactly pin point where the fault lies, whether it is memory, mobo or processor or..whatever.. memtest86 cannot pinpoint that.

My advice to Qf will be to run memtest 86, and if it gives errors, then get a copy of gold memory, run it and find out which component is causing the errors...and get a replacement using the gold memory test results...I know intel accepts gold memory results...as my friend got a replacement for his mobo based on it...

Just my thoughts...If not needed, just ignore it...

PS: this thread is giving some new insights..which is really informative to all..

Barbiegirl said:
1. the microsoft memory diagnostic utility: U will be really lucky atleast if u can boot into that boot floppy.....forget 'bout the testing part....period.

Gotta agree with ya there. I tried 2-3 times but when its booting from the floppy it abruptly stops and gives me a Disk I/O error. so I quit trying on it..

Sorry mods, just gimme a li'lll freedom to be off topic...........

Thanks masky....:)

I can't really help it when ppl talk theory..........:eek:hyeah:

TheMask said:
Gotta agree with ya there. I tried 2-3 times but when its booting from the floppy it abruptly stops and gives me a Disk I/O error. so I quit trying on it..

OK ! the only reason as I understand from the posts above as to why people should not be using this tool and that I should give it a shot myself is simply because "one will have problems booting it from a floppy"...hmmmm...kind of anti-climactic...I was expecting something more along the lines of why memtest is superior to windiag on various accounts and would have been very appreciative of such details...

Anyways, shall we keep the egos aside and keep the discussion technical for the benefit of everyone...PLEASE !

FWIW, Windiag aka WMD appears to work for me without a hitch !

Here's what I did so that people may have an idea of what to do and anticipate:

(Disclaimer: I'm not an MS employee and in fact, is anti-MS on occasions when it comes to OpenGL :) - so don't want to be seen as pimping their product when I've no vested interests. )

Grabbed mtinst.exe and created a bootable floppy and set the bios to boot from floppy and kicked her off....

The program kicked off without a hitch. There are a total of 6 tests - LRAND, Stride6, WMATS+, WINVC, INVC, and MATS+ which are repeatedly executed in each "pass". I ran the tests for 6 passes, each pass consisting of those 6 tests, for a period of 20 mins. approx on an A64 3200+, ABIT AV8 skt 939 VIA mobo, 2 x 512 KVR in dual channel mode.

Since the tests ran off the bios, there wasn't an easy way to grab a screenie - so let me give a vivid and verbose description of the gory details:

You have the pass info. printed on the right top corner as in "Pass: 1 Test: 1 of 6". Typically tests 5 and 6 in each pass are relatively more time consuming. At any time you've 3 of the "succeeded" tests highlighted in green and the active test highlighted in blue. There are 3 animated progress bars titled "pass progress", "test progress", and "range progress" indicating the extent of the current test.

At any particular instant you've the option to pause the test or exit. I stopped after 6 tests and no memory errors were detected. Ad verbatim:

"No errors have been found. The memory diagnostic will continue running until the (X) key is pressed or the machine is powered off"

Hope this helps !

deejay said:
Qf,

You really talk funny sometimes.:huh: :ashamed:
as long as deejay is here , & if ur m/b is screwed, u will be have to say bbye to internet for as long as it takes for the courier co. to transport goods from mumbai to ur place. + ur assembling time.:D
I always keep a spare. I got a totally unused i865 PE chipset m/b lying as spare. which i will gladly lend it to you.(provided you do not mod or o/c it & promise to return it intact);)
ps: I have to keep the admins in good spirits.;)
thanx for the offer deejay. now i'm in good spirit ;)
but i still hope my mobo is in perfect shape..
Barbiegirl said:
2. Why shud Qf compromise (or relax) on his memory settings...when he is under warranty for both memory and mobo and can replace either if found faulty...
good point there. rest assured i wont compromise on that. after deejay's offer, i wont even think abt compromising :p

btw, this is a good informative thread. rated it.

Footnote:
1. Haven't got back my module today. They say they'll return it tomm.
2. Updated my BIOS to P24. :)

Back