Micromax Canvas HD A116 - contacts issue

axis.meister

Disciple
:confused: Why is this thread dead? I am sure there must be some Canvas HD owners on TE.

I got mine last month and I love it :cat: Everything works fine except the Navigation, but that is a known issue with the stock 4.1.2 ROM.
Still running on the stock Android 4.1.2 Jellybean ROM, rooted it almost as soon as I got it, but haven't flashed recovery yet. Planning to do that and flash some custom ROM but am worried about losing contacts and messages. Had to jump through a lot of hoops to get all my contacts from my old Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic to this phone. Then there was the issue of duplicate contacts that I had to merge, dont want to do that again after flashing.

Also I could not find any way to get my old messages from my Nokia to the Canvas HD (is it even possible), so I have still kept my Nokia 5800 around(also because I love my 5800XM and can't let go of it).

Calling all Canvas HD users on TE, have any of you upgraded to 4.2.2? If yes, how? Would love to know your experiences; any known bugs/warnings about 4.2.2.
As for Custom ROM users, would love to know your experiences with different ROMs and some pointers to choosing the right ROM. Jellydemon looks good, so does the Touchwiz ROM.

Hope this thread thrives, the Canvas HD is claimed to be the fastest selling phone yet. Strange that there is not much discussion about it here on TE.

:android::android::android:

@axis.meister make a vcf file for your contacts and add them on your android.

if you have all your contacts on android , sync them to your google account or take a contact backup using easy backup app

Last edited by a moderator:
@Superbad Thats what I finally did.. I must have messed something up doing that because I have a lot of contacts that are now saved to phone, not to gmail contact list. but I can manage that.

The more important issue is the message syncing. I use System Tuner to make backups of Apps and have tried restoring them. It works without an issue, only thing is Messaging is a system app, that means after I flash to stock/custom JB 4.2.2, the version of the messaging app could be different (higher) so I would have to restore my backup from JB4.1.2 on it. And I am not even sure if I would get all messages back after that.

:confused:

Also I could not find any way to get my old messages from my Nokia to the Canvas HD (is it even possible), so I have still kept my Nokia 5800 around(also because I love my 5800XM and can't let go of it).

:android::android::android:

I transferred my messages from my Sony dumb phone to my android, so you should be able to transfer your messages from your Nokia.

I think I used MyPhoneExplorer to make a backup of my messages and then transferred them to my android. I'm not sure if I used another program to format them correctly. However, my point is, that you can transfer all your contacts and messages.

Also, your sms backups are stored in an XML file, so syncing them across different versions shouldn't be a problem.

To avoid duplicate contacts, transfer all your contacts to google, and delete all the local contacts. Save new contacts to your google account.

@axis.meister
Few questions.
1- Hows is Dual SIM on phone ? When you are talking on SIM 1 & someone calls on SIM 2 what the person calling on SIM 2 will hear ? Switch off/Ring/out of reach
2 - hows services of Micromax ? Do you find enough service centers ?
3 - Any bad things you noticed ? Planning to purchase for family.

@Superbad Thats what I finally did.. I must have messed something up doing that because I have a lot of contacts that are now saved to phone, not to gmail contact list. but I can manage that.

The more important issue is the message syncing. I use System Tuner to make backups of Apps and have tried restoring them. It works without an issue, only thing is Messaging is a system app, that means after I flash to stock/custom JB 4.2.2, the version of the messaging app could be different (higher) so I would have to restore my backup from JB4.1.2 on it. And I am not even sure if I would get all messages back after that.

easy backup has an option of saving your messages as well as your apps too.

try it. and report.

I have updated to 4.2 officially from the Micromax service centre in Grant Road Mumbai.

I had bricked my phone. They fixed it and updated the OS.

Got back my phone in 2 hours.

Also it is the fastest selling phone for the layman who does not care about the difference between a mediatek quad-core and a Snapdragon one.

And no only one sim can be used for calls. In galaxy grand both sims can be used at once. You can keep one call from one sim on hold and answer a call on the other sim in galaxy grand.

Oops I am also using the canvas HD but didn't know about the Dual active thing on galaxy grand
May be I would have them bought that

Not saying that am not happy with canvas but that feature is a truly useful one
Anyways canvas HD rocks till it doesn't die, and this is coming from a note2 user

I don't miss the note at all[DOUBLEPOST=1374080715][/DOUBLEPOST]I am on4.2.2 custom Rom stark hd

Thanks to @ch@ts and @Superbad for your suggestions, I will certainly try them out. Didn't know MyPhoneexplorer still existed :) remember using it long back with my 5800xm.

@Praks I don't use both SIM slots and haven't visited the service center yet, so can't add anything more to what @prateekS has said.

I haven't noticed anything specifically bad about the phone, except the GPS issue with 4.1.2 and the fact that the flip cover provided with the Canvas HD just doesn't fit correctly on the volume +/- button side. I have a couple of friends who own Canvas HDs and one of them has the same issue, while the other doesn't. I have finally just discarded the flip cover and am using it with the original battery cover and it fits fine.

One side note which you could chose to ignore is the sound quality. Both the speaker and the earphone-out, sound is okay but not particularly impressive. I said you could ignore it, because this is coming from a Nokia 5800XM user (before that Sony Ericsson w700i and w810i). I dare say, that the 5800XM has the best speakers ever on a phone, also pair it with good quality earphones and it is absolutely mindblowing. So I always tend to compare it with that and it doesn't match up.

Yep speakers are really bad
I many a times felt I struggle to hear as the earpiece sounds so tinny and low volume
Even the Mic is not great

But still the overall Android performance isgreat

Yep speakers are really bad
I many a times felt I struggle to hear as the earpiece sounds so tinny and low volume
Even the Mic is not great

But still the overall Android performance isgreat

Yup Android performance is great, battery life is good and Display is excellent.

As for sound, it is not that bad; I don't have any issues with the in-call performance. Earpiece is decently loud and I haven't heard any complaints about my voice being low from anyone either. It is only the music - sound quality that is not something to write home about. But it is still decent, and actually positively impressive in the mids, it is just the bass and the highs that it lets me down. I have noticed this when listening to the same song with the same earphones on the Canvas HD and my 5800XM so I know it is the DAC that is at fault and not the earphones.

@Superbad Easy Backup is awesome!!I am also taking backups using Helium, System Tuner and other apps but this one is the one I will use first to restore. Direct backup to dropbox, gmail or Google Drive is awesome!!! Thanks a ton for recommending it.

@ayaskant12 how is stark ROM? Any known issues? and can you please post link to the thread. I checked on XDA and only found the stark v3.5 which is JB v4.2.1 based not v4.2.2 as you mentioned. Please post the 4.2.2 link.

Sorry for the wrong info
It's actually 4.2.1 only

Stark room is good enough
Don't see any huge difference than stick rom apart from it being rooted

I updated because I was irritated by long times taken by yes proximity sensor after a call
But the problem persists even with the custom rom!![DOUBLEPOST=1374172042][/DOUBLEPOST]Ignore the spellings
TouchPal at work

Yes sir ! I have been to a Samsung service centre. My s3 had a WiFi problem after the official update to 4.1.2 . It was a software error. Where if I flashed 4.1.1 the WiFi was OK . But when I updated to 4.1.2 the WiFi would not catch on . They kept my phone for a day and replaced the mother board . One working day . I bought the phone in Sept 12 . And now my board shows hardware id of Dec 12 . :) . I also poses a galaxy note and galaxy grand And galaxy y and Samsung Monte . All I use currently .

Yes sir ! I have been to a Samsung service centre. My s3 had a WiFi problem after the official update to 4.1.2 . It was a software error. Where if I flashed 4.1.1 the WiFi was OK . But when I updated to 4.1.2 the WiFi would not catch on . They kept my phone for a day and replaced the mother board . One working day . I bought the phone in Sept 12 . And now my board shows hardware id of Dec 12 . :) . I also poses a galaxy note and galaxy grand And galaxy y and Samsung Monte . All I use currently .

Wow, 5 top smartphones.. What do you do for living ?

I am a phone addict . I buy and collect . I have more than 20 phones. . CDMA gsm et all . Its just a craze. . I am an addict . :D . I promised my wife that no more phones . Last one was micromax a110 for rough use . S3 is very delicate . I work in I.T . First phone was a Nokia that I bought in France. .8210 . :) BTW nothing beats the quality of Nokia hands down . I have the Nokia c7 too . Its miles ahead in quality compared to my s3. . But symbian is too sluggish .

Motherboard I'd??
How did you know the Id?
Any app for that??

Thing is software error is a small issue
I had a hardware issue and they kept the phone for20 days and gave me a new one after going through consumer court threats

Anyways many a times it's the service centre attitude
In the same city also it may vary from one to another

And S3 is a premium set
Canvas HD has1/2of the price with similar performance(please don't shout at me but my S3 used to take 7secs to open my contacts list

Yes there is an app in play store to check weither the s3 has the bad memory chip . Mine did and after they gave me back my phone it did not .

I still dont get why people compare Micromax after-sales-services with Samsung or Nokia or Sony... these are well established giants of the mobile industry. Micromax is new and it is well known that their after-sales is not reliable. If you want better after-sales-services, spend more and get Samsung/Sony/HTC. Or if you are like me and are going to experiment with the phone and dont give a damn about warranty/ASS then go for Micromax.

Back