Microscan aka Vovinet FTTH Fiber

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
My residential society in Pune apparently has FTTH service from Microscan ISP now. It is or was also known as Vovinet.

I wanted to ask if anyone else here has their connection and what is your feedback?

I'm probably going to take their currently top 200 mbps plan for 90 days to try it out myself.

Cost is 3300 plus GST and it gets better with their longer term offerings of 6 and 12 months.

I'm not from Pune but the pricing seems to be a blatant rip-off. For reference I have an act fibernet plan for 200 mbps and it costs me around 1500 (with taxes) which is literally half your quoted price. The conclusion I'm trying to reach is there's no way it should cost anywhere near 3.3k and suggest you to be a bit careful when comparing prices.

Fair point on the price part... I was comparing with the major ISPs plans.

This is currently just for 90 days and I can simply discontinue when it's done.

I'll be comparing against my current 300mbps BSNL FTTH connection.

Fingers crossed in the coming few months we also get the other top ISPs like Airtel Jio and Tata Sky.

Just to be clear is it 3300 for 90 days? That comes to around 1100 per month which sounds okay. If it were 3300 per month then I'd avoid it

Yup 3300 plus GST for 90 days for 200 mbps unlimited.

I'm yet to find out things like FUP and international bandwidth...

Just got the connection activated this afternoon.

Some quick initial checks and yes it looks like the quality is poor... meaning I see the same results some guys have mentioned on my IBF forum thread.

Getting full 200 mbps up and down only on local speed test and international download speed seems to be capped to 80 mbps with many locations going only up to 50 mbps. Upload is a disgrace mostly even under 10 mbps.

Ran ping to 8.8.8.8 during all this with no packet loss.

But of course today is a Saturday... will keep checking over the coming days too.

Is there anything specific you want me to check?

I have yet to check torrents and single thread connection downloads and traceroutes etc but don't have much hope haha

Tata offers domestic connections now?

Might want to try running a jitter test. From your description, sounds like it'll do poorly, but still.

Tata offers domestic connections now?

Might want to try running a jitter test. From your description, sounds like it'll do poorly, but still.

Yes there's the Tata Sky branded fiber broadband but not as widespread as the top 2 airtel and jio.

Jitter test is the same as the difference between loaded and unloaded latency on fast.com right? In that case IIRC it was fine. But how do I check Jitter to international servers?

Not exactly. Check the question mark on fast.com for an explanation of loads and unloaded. Jitter is the amount your latency varies between packets. For gaming, it's important to have low jitter.

There's a few speed tests that test jitter as well.

OK after pestering the Microscan people for the past few days I'm embarrased to say the upload speed issue was ONLY happening on Chrome on Win11 while testing against the local servers. When the tech guy visited my place today I just by chance tried Edge browser and we saw proper full 500 mbps up and down speedtest result!

What confuses me is that Chrome is showing good upload speeds to one particular international server and also if I add my BSNL 300 mbps connection. I at first thought Microsoft/Win11 was sneakily throttling non Edge browsers (even Firefox shows the speed issue behaviour) but I don't know why/how it shows good up/down speeds if I combine my 2 connections for total 800 mbps up and down! Anyone has any ideas?

Anyways, next steps is to engage with the Microscan folks to get them to do the following.

1. Start providing IPv6
  2. Launch even faster plans like 750 and 1 gbps - LOL probably will take another year.
  3. Troubleshoot the international speed issues as discussed in this thread: https://broadbandforum.co/threads/s...-bandwidth-providers-for-smaller-isps.210544/
  4. Provide actual speeds 10% higher than the plan like BSNL and Airtel do, so 100 mbps plan should get 110 at least :)
  5. Any other suggestions you guys have?

These guys seem to be genuinely interested in listening to customer feedback so I'm hopeful good progress can be made and this ISP could be a major player against even the top tier ones like Airtel/Jio :D

Last edited:
Back