Microsoft Deprecates OracleClient: Time to Consider Moving to ODP.NET

madhuraj

Disciple
Dear Friends,

Microsoft recently announced that it will deprecate Microsoft System.Data.OracleClient. For existing Microsoft OracleClient developers, especially those that haven't taken a look at the Oracle Data Provider for .NET (ODP.NET) in some time, this is a good time to look at ODP.NET again for new development or to migrate existing Oracle .NET applications. In recent years, ODP.NET has added lots of new features -- such as performance tuning, user-defined types, advanced queuing, RAC connection pooling, and supporting multiple ODP.NET client versions simultaneously on the same machine.

Alex Keh, who is the product manager for ODP.NET, has put together a special new webhome for developers using OracleClient...its called ODP.NET for Microsoft OracleClient Developers. This web page provides good information about why developers choose to migrate from ODP.NET from Microsoft OracleClient. Alex told me that the page will also provide a step-by-step Microsoft OracleClient to ODP.NET migration tutorial in the near future, which should be extremely useful. If you have questions about what this deprecation means for your company, please contact Alex over at alex.keh [at] oracle [dot] com or post to the ODP.NET Forum (OTN registration required).

Source: Christian Shay - Oracle and .NET

thanks for heads up ... can u post link to ODP.NET tutorial plz? feeling very lazy to search

I wanna write small program to dump large random data in my 10g RAC setup for testing purpose :)

Back