User Guides Microsoft Messenger Removal !

Unofficial Windows Messenger Removal - Method I

Note: If SP1 is installed this tip is pointless. Use Add/Remove Programs to remove Messenger

To add Messenger to the Add/Remove Programs feature accessible via Control Panel
Navigate to C:\Windows\inf
(If your Windows directory is different, substitute the proper drive letter)
Open sysoc.inf
Find the line that reads
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
Change it to read
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Windows Messenger will now appear in Add/Remove Windows Components section of Add/Remove Programs accessible through Control Panel.

Unofficial Windows Messenger Removal - Method II

My Best and Favorite way to remove this junk :clap:

Click [Start] [Run] and in the [Open] box type or copy/paste the following command RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Click [OK]
:cool2:

Unofficial Windows Messenger Removal - Method III

This is my favorite method for fooling Windows XP :rolleyes: into not being able to launch Messenger. The default location for Windows Messenger is C:\Program Files\Messenger. When XP wants to fire up Messenger it will try and access the files at the default location. To prevent Messenger from loading, just rename the Messenger folder to something new; MessengerDisabled has worked for me. If you want to use Messenger at some point down the road, simply rename the folder to Messenger and you're back in business.

Okies ! Now get back and remove Windows Messer oops.... Windows Messenger :tongue: :clap:

Back