Microsoft: Next step for Windows 7 is a release candidate

Windows engineering exec confirms move straight to RC from beta, but no dates given

"The head of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows development confirmed that Windows 7 will take the unusual path of moving straight from a single beta, which was launched earlier this month, to a release candidate. Sinofsky fleshed out the plan today and hinted that just as there would be no Beta 2, the company would also not provide a RC2 build. In other words, there may be only one released build of Windows 7 before it ships, possibly much sooner than even some of the most aggressive rumors about Windows 7. How much different can Windows 7 really be with such a shortened beta cycle?"

No beta 2, No RC2, Beta -> RC -> RTM :)

Slashdot | Windows 7 To Skip Straight To a Release Candidate

Engineering Windows 7 : Our Next Engineering Milestone

Microsoft: Next step for Windows 7 is a release candidate

I hope its not unfinished OS :no:

Ah so they formally announced!

Knew it from Neowin for quite a while.

Unlike the case of vista whose engine was rebuilt, M$ is not reinventing the wheel this time with Win 7. They are adding more functionality to Vista SP1. So even the beta is quite rock solid and stable.

I remember the days when I downloaded Longhorn 4074 on dialup. I pretty much expected Vista to be quite the resource hog with those terrible memory leaks even in RC2. But now, Vista SP1 is a very robust and stable OS.

The "peek" thingy and the redesigned start menu, the library in explorer are so good that I am considering to format my vista sp1 partition for good.

I hope they continue to add more of such innovative functionality instead of repeating the Mojave experiment.

Just installed Windows 7. If this remains as good as it is now (if not better), it is defintely going to be on my buy list :D

Well said... stole my words :p
..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
Ah so they formally announced!
Knew it from Neowin for quite a while.

Unlike the case of vista whose engine was rebuilt, M$ is not reinventing the wheel this time with Win 7. They are adding more functionality to Vista SP1. So even the beta is quite rock solid and stable.

I remember the days when I downloaded Longhorn 4074 on dialup. I pretty much expected Vista to be quite the resource hog with those terrible memory leaks even in RC2. But now, Vista SP1 is a very robust and stable OS.

The "peek" thingy and the redesigned start menu, the library in explorer are so good that I am considering to format my vista sp1 partition for good.
I hope they continue to add more of such innovative functionality instead of repeating the Mojave experiment.

Buy the final version ;)
Sei said:
Just installed Windows 7. If this remains as good as it is now (if not better), it is defintely going to be on my buy list :D

And why should we need a beta 2?
The feature list is already complete and the OS has been developed.

Whatever bugs are there, will be fixed in this test cycle.

RC will be a bug fixed beta release, from where only the few bugs detected will be fixed. And then RTMed.

Dont see why people seem to be making a fuss or a big news out of this.

Microsoft’s Swedish partner blog further posted that Windows 7 RC could be released in the first week of April.The blog post states that the RTM version of Windows 7 would be released in the third quarter of this year.Here is what the blog post reads-

Code:
RTM, and business launch as it looks right now Q3 2009. The cut of all internal guesses here in the office right now is October 3 at 11.10

I don't think it is good news. Though Windows 7 is okay for the most of it. Those who have run GTA IV on it can easily say how bad the performance is compared to Vista leave alone XP.

Other games run fine though, although XP is still better. At least with 2GB RAM.

^ GTA4 is a crappy port. You cannot judge the OS based on its performance in one game alone, that also such a crappy port. Though XP may shine right now, it won't be long before Vista and Windows 7 start showing better results.

Hmm, we'll have to wait for final release of Win 7, to see the real power of it :).

I hope we'll find Seven better than vista. My words, XP still shines :yeah:

rite said:
I don't think it is good news. Though Windows 7 is okay for the most of it. Those who have run GTA IV on it can easily say how bad the performance is compared to Vista leave alone XP.
Other games run fine though, although XP is still better. At least with 2GB RAM.

So you are saying that it is the OS which squeezes the performance out of the games?

Thank god you are not a blogger or a reviewer :rofl:
Did you never wonder when you read the changelog for the graphics drivers? The performance improvements they deliver just by updating the drivers? Did you not read the reviews of GTA IV when it came out? The crappy performance issues it had?
The graphic drivers for Windows 7 are in their alpha stages currently, and your GTA IV wasnt even coded properly for XP or Vista, so leave alone 7.
Rahulrulez said:
Hmm, we'll have to wait for final release of Win 7, to see the real power of it :).

I hope we'll find Seven better than vista. My words, XP still shines :yeah:

If for you the time it takes for an OS to boot up is all that matters, then its not XP which shines, its Windows 9x which do.
To see the real performance of an OS, you need to take into account the real world benchmarking.
Take 20 images and audio files. Edit the metadata and the EXIF info on them according to your liking and then say which OS is faster.
Navigate to folders 5 6 levels deep and then move around across different levels of hierarchy and then comment which OS is faster.
Really man, dont understand on what basis you guys consider the speed of an OS. How fast the OS is or How fast can you do your job when using it?

alsiladka said:
So you are saying that it is the OS which squeezes the performance out of the games?

Thank god you are not a blogger or a reviewer :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

alsiladka said:
If for you the time it takes for an OS to boot up is all that matters, then its not XP which shines, its Windows 9x which do.

Well, i think in this department Windows 7 shines since it boots like in an instant. :eek:hyeah:

alsiladka said:
To see the real performance of an OS, you need to take into account the real world benchmarking.
Take 20 images and audio files. Edit the metadata and the EXIF info on them according to your liking and then say which OS is faster.
Navigate to folders 5 6 levels deep and then move around across different levels of hierarchy and then comment which OS is faster.
Really man, dont understand on what basis you guys consider the speed of an OS. How fast the OS is or How fast can you do your job when using it?

Exactly, a OS is not used only for the performance in games but for gamers it is only consideration for choosing a OS. :)

And as alsiladka said, Win 7 is better. To add Win 7 has lots of things to get ur work done easily and fast with less clicks on the mouse...:p

Win 7 will definitely be faster than XP considering it's responsiveness in general usage when drivers mature. Just wait and watch...:)

IIRC they said there was some "legal issue" when they thought about distributing the beta through torrent... the MS lawyers are very touchy about these things :D

For example, IANAL, but, they have "redistributable" and "non redistributable" clauses in their download agreements/EULAs etc... in effect, in bittorrent, every user is redistributing the bits to each other and not MS to you. I'm guessing that makes the lawyers nervous :D Of course they could tweak their licenses to include torrents so it is possible they can offer it...

MS Research Labs have a project which is an anonymous file sharing protocol or something. So in that case, i won't come to know from whom i am getting the bits of the files from.

During the current beta download fiasco, i had read about it somewhere. The blogger was speaking about how this was the perfect opportunity for MS to try out that research project.

Then they do not know Nasa is using BitTorrent for their “visible earth”project and WOW and other mmo publishers use p2p to distribute new patches...

Back