Security Software Microsoft Security Essentials Final available now

Microsoft has finally released the much awaited free security software which it claims will protect computers against viruses, spyware and other malicious codes. "With Microsoft Security Essentials, consumers can get high-quality protection that is easy to get and easy to use, and it won't get in their way. Consumers have told us that they want the protection of real-time security software but we know that too many are either unwilling or unable to pay for it, and so end up unprotected," said Amy Barzdukas, General Manager for Consumer Security, Microsoft.

Almost 90 percent of the computers in the world use Microsoft windows and through this software Microsoft wants to provide free protection to these computers. Microsoft said the software would be available on the website to anyone who wanted to use it. There is no registration required but the only condition involved is that the system should be using genuine windows operating system. This free software is called as Security Essentials and is designed to run behind the scenes, defending machines against infection by malicious computer codes.

"Microsoft is helping to reduce some of the barriers that constrain consumers from running (anti-virus software)," said IDC Security Analyst Jon Crotty. "Microsoft is focused on the challenges that prevent consumers from running up-to-date anti-virus software today, particularly in emerging markets where there is a growing prevalence of malware."

However, there are many rival security companies which are raising concern over the defending capabilities of this software. Symantec says that this free software is lightweight and isn't tuned for new forms of attack being used by hackers. "From a security perspective, this Microsoft tool offers reduced defenses at a critical point in the battle against cyber crime. Unique malware and social engineering tricks fly under the radar of traditional signature-based technology alone - which is what is employed by free security tools such as Microsoft's," said Symantec.

There is also a concern that this software can be used as a platform by Malware writers to spread their content to larger audience.

SORRY IF REPOST

LINK

The interface is pretty simple and intuitive.
I have just installed this today on my Win7 install. ArsTechnica had good things to say about this. However its effectiveness in the field will be measured only after its tried for some time.

shr1k said:
According to http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034682817 it compares favourables with the usual freeware suspects (Avast, Avira)

Has anyone here tried it out? On a relatively mid-range config, preferably?

I have been using it on my machine which has Vista OS. Security essentials is not a resource hog at all, updates are released 3-4 times a day. Tested its detection rate against a few trojans which I deliberately brought from a local cyber cafe (via pendrive).

+1 to that. Its the ideal solution for someone who doesnt need a full fledged security suite with firewall, etc.

octave said:
I have been using it on my machine which has Vista OS. Security essentials is not a resource hog at all, updates are released 3-4 times a day. Tested its detection rate against a few trojans which I deliberately brought from a local cyber cafe (via pendrive).

Would you folks say it's okay to replace Avast with this? I have an old-ish laptop, and imo avast runs a bit slowly and takes up way too much memory while scanning (realtime).

This does have real-time scanning, right? I'd prefer not using software that I have to schedule to run at intervals...

Would you folks say it's okay to replace Avast with this? I have an old-ish laptop, and imo avast runs a bit slowly and takes up way too much memory while scanning (realtime).

This does have real-time scanning, right? I'd prefer not using software that I have to schedule to run at intervals...

I uninstalled Avira which is by far the best freeware solution according to the tests, for MS SE. Its pretty lightweight, however I have noticed slight lags in 2 places, on boot up - around 5 sec more, and on browsing for folder from uTorrent - around 3 sec. This on Windows 7. Nothing major and can live with it, the thought is Windows know their system best and how to protect it. However Avira worked fabulously for me for a long long time.

shr1k said:

It has real time scanning. No need to uninstall avast just install MSE and disable avast realtime scan and see how it goes. If it works well then fine, else you can still disable MSE's realtime scanning and use avast instead.

Has MS removed MSE downloads for India or what?..:S
The page says
Not available in your country or region
You appear to be in a country or region where Microsoft Security Essentials is not available. Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Security Essentials.
Every link from microsoft for MSE goes there. Am I missing something?..

Noticed that a while back too, however I found grabbing it from download sites (like softpedia) and running it posed no issues.

Edit: You can clear your cookies, and select the US locale and download it as well.

shr1k said:

I would say dump Avast and use Avira PE.

MS SE is not light on resources on XP. I tried it on a few systems with a fresh install of XP and after boot-up the OS reported roughly ~250MB of memory in use. Win7/Vista users though seem to report it not being too heavy on resources, so no idea if this is just an OS thing.

Crazy_Eddy said:
select the US locale and download it as well.
Yeah..Finally I choose US locale from FF and downloaded it..
And before downloading, when it asked to select country from the list, India was not present there..selected USA..

Back