Microsoft Word like free software

teche

Adept
Microsoft Word on my Computer has been playing up of late & I seem to have lost its product key. Suggest me some good software in place of MS Word which is free & easy to use...

I've used both Open Office and Libre Office. Libre office is better in terms of speed and compatibility with microsoft word files - especially the formatting. Open office had a bad habit of loosing the formatting when importing doc or docx files. Margins would be changed, no proper paragraph justification, etc. If you edited a file at home and opened it in word at office it would look drastically different than what you had last seen it to be. Libre office is pretty much almost same as word.

Google Docs seems to maintain the best formatting according to me. You could also try the Word Web App, its free.

Google Docs ftw :) I use Office 2013 (when Offline) + Google Docs (Docs I need to submit Online). Best combination ever :D

Besides LibreOffice, and OpenOffice, which are both quite good.. if you are looking for lighter alternatives, you can go for :

Softmaker Office Free : SoftMaker FreeOffice :: A full-featured office suite offered as a free download

It is the free version of the 2012 commercial version, and is quite light. I have tried the 2008 free version, and can say this suite is quite good.

Another excellent free one that is getting good response is Kingsoft Office free : Free Office Software, Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012

It is also a lightweight office suite, and compatibility with MS Office is also excellent.

If you are looking for standalone word processors, take a look at this review :

Best Free Word Processor

I have personally used Abiword from above, and found it to be quite good.

Back