Microsoft's new Windows 11 Recall is a privacy nightmare

At this point, people should just start moving their workflow towards MacOS and Linux, and instead only use Windows for gaming and other insignificant tasks. There is no point fighting anymore, because every time MS is pushed back with their security and privacy concerns, they come back with something even more intrusive. Satellite Nutrella has been the bane of this company, destroying Windows Phone, destroying Xbox, and now destroying Windows. He's only there to please the shareholders, not make great products.

I was just using Windows 7 yesterday on my old PC and the difference is staggering. There's almost zero bloat, everything is accessible in just one click, the UI is made for desktop use instead to catering to desktop/touch interfaces, and the stability is immense. Can't believe now that this was the last good OS that MS released, and that too under the leadership of Steve Ballmer. Amazing.

^^ As a shareholder, I am happy with what Microsoft is doing. Ballmer was good but he did not have what it takes to take the company into the new era of cloud based computing. TBH, Satya did to MS what Steve Jobs did to Apple in his second innings. If Ballmer continued for another 5 years or so, MS would never have recovered and this is a fact that many acknowledge. Xbox One was a dud, Windows Phone was not able to get traction, MS was struggling in the enterprise without proper direction, Windows 8 was extremely disappointing. Satya stopped cash bleeding divisions, concentrated on pushing for major enterprise revamp. He took MS back to its roots (enterprise software). You should see how many companies are now sold into MS Azure services (Azure cloud, Azure devops and what not). This is major cash cow and it shows in company earnings. See how the share is growing in last decade.

1717393475852.png

As a geek, I am not at all happy with what MS is doing. I hate it to the core that they abandoned Windows Phone. I really hate Windows 11's UI and UX as well. But this does not bother me much as I am now very well into Apple ecosystem. Xbox division is shooting in the dark and is on ventilator. Now that MS core business is rock solid, I really hope they start to concentrate on Windows. I do not have any hopes on Xbox hardware division anyways.

Last edited:
Now that MS core business is rock solid, I really hope they start to concentrate on Windows.
This is ironical though because if MS core business aka enterprise segment is rock solid then it has even less reason to focus on consumer segment & more reason to use consumer segment as guinea pig to test their experimental features which is obvious in how different the core of windows LTSC or even enterprise is nowadays from regular home version.
If you’ve ever used computers for anything other gaming, you know this feature is not meant for that.

Heck, even with just gaming, I can imagine this helping out with big RPGs such as if I need to remember the areas that I gave up exploring because I wasn’t sufficiently equipped or levelled up or some place that I saw an interesting object just by describing it.
You are describing a minority of pc users not to mention that gamers are one of the most active community of users when it comes to "debloating/tweaking" windows to maximise gaming performance & are usually the first to disable any such extra feature like cortana/co-pilot etc.

Your views are too limited if you think this is a password manager replacement which is far from the thing it is trying to do here.
You skipped the web browsing history replacement which is what most typical ppl would use such a feature for.

If you’ve ever used computers for anything other gaming, you know this feature is not meant for that.

Heck, even with just gaming, I can imagine this helping out with big RPGs such as if I need to remember the areas that I gave up exploring because I wasn’t sufficiently equipped or levelled up or some place that I saw an interesting object just by describing it.

Your views are too limited if you think this is a password manager replacement which is far from the thing it is trying to do here.
man if you really think that you need an LLM for help remembering an area you gave up on instead of stumbling on it naturally then I dont know what to say to you.

That aside, have you looked at the privacy concerns over the long term instead of potential help in the short term? we are already data mined like crazy, influenced by propaganda disguised as ads, and what not?

Also Microsoft does not have a good track of sticking to their terms or respecting our privacy? if they could get away with it, they 100% would, what makes you think the company that completely resets your privacy settings with each update, pushes even more ads/bloatware with every windows update would respect your privacy?
At this point, people should just start moving their workflow towards MacOS and Linux,
More like Linux, Apple is just as bad
What are the differences amongst winaro, o&o10 and msmgtoolkit? + @altair21
essentially the same thing, msmg will create a disk image for you with all the components you selected stripped out, winaero and O&o10 (first time I heard of it, I looked it up) are essentially rgistry tweaks to disable microsoft telemetry etc

Msmg will create a disk image for you which you can then install, the others work on existing windows installations to disable telemetry etc which you can achieve via registry tweaks but they do it for you along with a nice GUI

Last edited:
You are describing a minority of pc users not to mention that gamers are one of the most active community of users when it comes to "debloating/tweaking" windows to maximise gaming performance & are usually the first to disable any such extra feature like cortana/co-pilot etc.

Sure, there'll be more people willing to risk debloating or tweaking but that's still dwarfed by the number of people who use their PCs as is, including the ones in the gaming community. And the vast majority don't have the luxury of having a separate rig for gaming vs work/productivity. Most people will accept whatever MS is going to provide, whether you like it or not.

You skipped the web browsing history replacement which is what most typical ppl would use such a feature for.

That'd be fine except it's not just mere web browsing we're talking about here, it's pretty much being able to zip across all the points in time from your computing timeline. And this is just v1 to provide this basic experience—I imagine when devs are allowed to integrate into Recall, it could be a lot more useful than just going back and taking a peek.

man if you really think that you need an LLM for help remembering an area you gave up on instead of stumbling on it naturally then I dont know what to say to you.

You can keep the gatekeeping thought philosophies to yourself. Maybe you also crib about similar marquee features already provided in the PS5.

That aside, have you looked at the privacy concerns over the long term instead of potential help in the short term? we are already data mined like crazy, influenced by propaganda disguised as ads, and what not?

If you read my comment properly, you'd know my stance on this and I've even included the article that points out the more pressing concern of the hour. Instead, you and many others go off on "oh no, M$ is phoning home all this data!" which at this point, is simply untrue. The reality is this sort of feature will be commonplace in the coming months since it's feasible now, whether you like it or not.

Also Microsoft does not have a good track of sticking to their terms or respecting our privacy? if they could get away with it, they 100% would, what makes you think the company that completely resets your privacy settings with each update, pushes even more ads/bloatware with every windows update would respect your privacy?

And did I say they were? All I'm saying is it's pure bullshit to claim MS is siphoning off this data when at this moment, this is a local-only implementation and they've clarified and shown off the implementation multiple times already to press and other folks (again, read the article). And if you've followed MS and their run-ins with govts before, you'd know they're not dumb enough to do something like this especially when EU is cracking down on it left and right.

Some are paranoid, some reckless, some blissfully ignorant and some couldn't care less. Guys, use the OS you like, however you like it. If you want, use something like NTLite and remove windows components on the installation image itself or use it as is.

Take care.

I think people already know this here but I have always run Windows 10 IOT Enterprise LTSC (No bloatware, (almost) no telemetry, no crap, No cortana, No AI, No Sh*t nothing), and, Windows 11 IOT Enterprise LTSC was released (to OEM) just a few weeks back. No Copilot, (almost) no telemetry, longest support, no unnecessary updates. My Windows 10 IOT Ent LTSC is running rock solid, I am now setting up 11 IOT ltsc on one of my systems. After I moved to LTSC, Home/Pro/Enterprise editions looked like adware to me.

I think people already know this here but I have always run Windows 10 IOT Enterprise LTSC (No bloatware, (almost) no telemetry, no crap, No cortana, No AI, No Sh*t nothing), and, Windows 11 IOT Enterprise LTSC was released (to OEM) just a few weeks back. No Copilot, (almost) no telemetry, longest support, no unnecessary updates. My Windows 10 IOT Ent LTSC is running rock solid, I am now setting up 11 IOT ltsc on one of my systems.
do games/wsl2 work on it fine? any compatibility issues considering it's for embedded systems?

do games/wsl2 work on it fine? any compatibility issues considering it's for embedded systems?
All windows version work the same way, no matter the edition. I have nerver had any issues with it in terms of games and normal softwares. However some enterprise software installers have trouble recognizing the build number of LTSC editions but that's just the installer, no issues with the software themselves.

^^^ It is still x86-64 right?
Yup you can google it out. Windows IOT Enterprise LTSC and Enterprise LTSC are interchangeable post install (Identical except for licensing and support). The main difference is Win 10 IOT Ent LTSC is supported till 2032 while non IOT till 2027-28.

Official reason for two identical systems is the cost of license, IOT one costs way more and is not available to buy for normal people.

All windows version work the same way, no matter the edition. I have nerver had any issues with it in terms of games and normal softwares. However some enterprise software installers have trouble recognizing the build number of LTSC editions but that's just the installer, no issues with the software themselves.
ah nice, I assumed some functionality might be stripped out to get it to run on IoT even if telemetry/ai is turned off too

LTSC does not come with the Windows Store by default. But you can get that back by following the steps here -

I did read that it got pushed into 11 LTSC with the last update. If you are installing it, please check and report back.
Win 11 IOT Ent LTSC and Ent LTSC got pushed Copilot Progressive Web App, it looks like a normal full-fledged Copilot but it's just a web app, easily removable. Also no TPM/UEFI/4GB RAM requirement for Win 11 IOT Ent LTSC, so if you guys want to install Win11 in an old machine without hacks, go for it.

I'll grab from massgrave lol, they have released an IOT iso

EDIT: I'm dumb
Yup massgrave has also explained the pros and cons of bot IOT Ent LTSC and Ent LTSC. Go through it and grab whichever you like. Just FYI, Win 11 LTSC is only released to OEMs, mass too has a warning/info on the same.

Yup massgrave has also explained the pros and cons of bot IOT Ent LTSC and Ent LTSC. Go through it and grab whichever you like. Just FYI, Win 11 LTSC is only released to OEMs, mass too has a warning/info on the same.
that shouldnt be an issue right? if its drivers related, I'll anyways be manually installing them

Back