Aug 1, 2009
Requirements very simple.

It's for a girl :p

Usage restricted to
1) Reading / browsing
2) Movies / Songs
3) Average gaming - no high end stuff
4) Programming

Needs to be 'future proof' enough not to have to upgrade proc or RAM for may be next 3 years atleast. Screen preferably 15".

Good service backup.

Good to have:
1) Colored tops preferred.
2) Multi card readers
3) Web cam

Willing to buy online (eBay specifically for discounts) or Delhi or Chennai.

Budget - 30K, can be stretched to 40K [ stick to the lower end please :) ]

Those are the requirements of the person who wants it.

Now my notes :D
I am personally not comfortable suggesting a Samsung or an MSI as I have no idea about them myself, though I read great stuff about the CR400X and some of the new Samsung models. I also think a model without an OS would be good, and would allow to stretch the configuration for 30K.

agantuk

Skilled
Aug 1, 2009
I have heard / read that Dell uses a lot of cheap quality material inside. Is that true?

I believe there was recently a case where a businessman lodged a case on Dell for over charging for their laptops for the quality of material used.

desiibond

Skilled
Jan 19, 2009
ajab.ghajab said:
I have heard / read that Dell uses a lot of cheap quality material inside. Is that true?

I believe there was recently a case where a businessman lodged a case on Dell for over charging for their laptops for the quality of material used.

Dell is only behind ASUS/Sony/Apple/Toshiba in reliability and failure rate (only 18% of Dell laptops die after 3yr period). And you know sony,Apple and Toshiba laptops are lot more costlier than Dell's.

Secondly, Dell did lot of price cuts and placed themselves very well in mid range. You can get a Dell Inspiron for as low as 28k. If you compare lappys from Compaq and Acer, Dell has much better overall quality and support too is better.

agantuk

Skilled
Aug 1, 2009
Isn't Dell Vostro a business laptop series? I also see the starting price is around 38K, which I think is too much on the higher side for the kind of use it would be subjected to.

Regarding Acer, I read at many places on this forum that it has a high failure rate as compared to the others. Is that true?

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Oct 7, 2009
Top Gear Test Track
i think the best option for you, considering the laptop is meant for a girl-is to go for a sony vaio. the older core 2 duo vaios are available for around 31-32k and will serve her basic requirements . they look good and that would appeal to her. good looking gadgets are more important than actual performance.

agantuk

Skilled
Aug 1, 2009
I have zeroed in on the following models. Both are priced at 33K and have the same specs:

i3-330M/2.13GHz/3MB L3/320GB/15.6"/DOS/DVDRW/BT

Compaq Presario CQ62-104TU
Dell Inspiron 1564

george101

Disciple
Jun 22, 2009
get a sony vaio VPCEB14, available in black and white and only costs 37250!

VPCEB14EN : E Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor 2.13 GHz

• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic (64-bit)

• 15.5 (39.37 cm) wide (WXGA: 1366 x 768) VAIO Display

• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 Graphics

• Instant web browsing: Quick Web Access button

• Isolation keyboard with 19mm full key pitch and numeric keypad

desiibond

Skilled
Jan 19, 2009
ajab.ghajab said:
Aren't they both the same in terms of service? Why only Dell then? :)

nah. Build quality and reliability is better for Dell laptops. But yes, Sony is among the best in reliability.

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Oct 7, 2009
Top Gear Test Track
buy any sony vaio she doesn't need the latest core i3 laptop any core 2 duo model will do and the older vaios are cheap now and the look stunningly beautiful! girls dig apple / sony laptops.

silverbyte

Disciple
Aug 19, 2008
ajab.ghajab said:
3 yrs complete cover is worth 8.5 K :O That's 25% of the laptop's cost. Is it worth it?

Yes it is well, well worth it. Dell has the most amazing after sales service that I have seen - the only reason why I buy Dell rather than Thinkpads.

Also, if you know someone whose company is buying equipment from Dell, a simple email from his company account will get you a good discount on CompleteCover (on home-range not on business-range laptops)