Mini-Review of Nokia E63

MrHappiness

Disciple
So lots of E series reviews on TE. Here's my penny too.

What I have
I recently (2 weeks back) got a Nokia E63. It’s the red (almost crimson) model. Now the E63 is a low-price newer sibling of the enormously popular E71. Here is a real tiny review. Could go into details of anything particular if someone’s interested.

Pros
+++++++ Full Qwerty amazingly-designed keyboard
++++ Tons of features – Almost an E71 – S60 goodness
+++ Price (street price around 12.5k?)
+++ Ergonomics – Feels great in the hand
+++ Very responsive UI
++ Looks glossy and yet avoids taking smudges
++ Quite high battery life – Supposedly even better than E71
++ Good audio
+ Very neat back panel opening method
+ 3.5mm audio jack
Cons
---- Camera performance quite poor + No autofocus
--- No dedicated volume switch
- No GPS/Accelerometer as in E71

Who is it for? It fits the bill, but do you?
It’s a smartphone and not everyone would want one. But sometimes definitions– such as smartphones are for business chappies in black suits – are broadened. As it happened for me. I never thought I would ever use a smartphone, but since I got this one as a gift I took to it, and boy am I loving it. Overall it is a great phone. Its most suited for those who want a great messaging phone. With its full QWERTY keyboard, sending text messages or email is a sweet task. Plus it comes with all the multimedia possibilities that there ever is. Not to mention that you can drink deep from the well of S60ness. So if you are looking for a classy and yet very affordable phone with messaging being a priority, I guess you should definitely give the E63 some serious thought.
Hmmm. Well having said all that, remember I am no expert on mobile phones!

--
PS
#1 This is my first post outside the Introduction Lounge (=Be generous!)
#2 I do not have a camera apart from the one in the phone and neither do I have two mirrors. (=If you need visual goodness JFGI)

cbotadra said:
hey nice short and sweet review...by the way who is giving u for 9k?..
i will take 12 pieces from you for 9k..
:eek:hyeah:

Yeah I was indeed doubtful of the price. Hearsay I tell you. Upon my flaunting the phone, it was a friendly jibe from a dealer who said he had find me one for 9k.

Hmmm. Din't know it was as high as 12.5k though. Anyways let me update the post and keep things sane.

Nice review,

I'll be buying one soon and need to know if it has office applications like word, excel and powerpoint. If it does, then are they editors or just viewers??

Thanks.
CC

^ Hey coolcowboy. Yes it does have what is called Quickoffice, that lets to create/edit office docs - document, worksheet and presentation. Just gave it a trial run now and is surprisingly easy to use. Hope that helps.

MrHappiness said:
^ Hey coolcowboy. Yes it does have what is called Quickoffice, that lets to create/edit office docs - document, worksheet and presentation. Just gave it a trial run now and is surprisingly easy to use. Hope that helps.

Is it a trial version or full version?

Edit: Got the answer

Seems to be an QWERTY version of E51. And the poor camera is to be expected as its an E series phone. But for the price, an unbeatable business phone

MrHappiness said:
Cons
---- Camera performance quite poor

But, does it not have a 3.5 mpx camera? Is a 3.5 mpx camera not considered good these days ?? :)

Or, let me put it this way, I have been using an N70 which has a 2 mpx camera, would an E71's camera be better than it ?

CC

^ Ah! Indeed its got the 2 MP cam.. as against the 3.x in E71.

I earlier had a K750i with a 2MP cam and it produced images that looked superior.

geek ashish said:
Mega pixel can not indicate the quality of camera pics.
eg 2 MP cam of SE K750i produced better pics than 5MP cam of N95.

now now, that is just a bit too much of exaggeration. while k750i had a very good camera, it is not even near to the picture quality of n95

Back