miniREVIEW | Silverthorne: The Intel® Atom™ processor

Introduction:

Silverthorne_right_resize2.jpg

Silverthorne

On March 2, 2008, Intel announced the new processor (code-named Silverthorne) to be used in ultra-mobile PCs/Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) which will supersede Intel A100. The processor is a 47 million transistor, 25 mm2, sub-3W IA processor which allows ~2500 chips to fit on a single 300 mm diameter wafer, allowing for extremely economical production.

A 1.8 GHz Atom processor's single thread performance is equivalent to its predecessor Intel A100 but should outperform it on applications that can leverage simultaneous multithreading, SSE3, and EM64T x64 extensions. It has a 0.6W to 2.5 TDP rating that can dip down to .01W when idle but that does not include the power consumption of the chipset. It features a 2-issue simultaneous multithreading, 16 stage in-order pipeline with 32KB iL1 and 24KB dL1 caches, integer and floating point execution units, x86 front end, a 512KB L2 cache and a 533MT/s front-side bus. The design is manufactured in 9M 45nm High-k metal-gate CMOS and housed in a 441-ball µFCBGA package."

-Wikipedia

In short: A 45nm processor, 47 million transistors, 26mm² in area, 2.5W TDP and a whole lotta power savings!

Package:

After a long wait, i finally got the Atom from Delta Peripherals

DSC01249_resize.JPG

DSC01254_resize.JPG

Not much that you should expect in such a small package

• Intel Atom+D945GCLF
  • 1x SATA 1xATA connectors
  • Back I/O Panel
  • Driver CD
DSC01261_resize.JPG

Specifications:

Form factor |Mini-ITX / micro-ATX compatible (6.75 inches by 6.75 inches [171.45 millimeters by 171.45 millimeters])

Processor |Integrated Intel® Atom™ processor with a 533 MHz system bus @ 1.6GHz

Memory |One 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets (Support for DDR2 533/667 MHz Upto 2Gb)

Chipset |Intel® 945GC and ICH7

Audio |Realtek* ALC662 audio code (2+2 channel HD audio)

Video |Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

I/O Control |SMSC* LPC47M997 based Legacy I/O controller for serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports

Lan Support |10/100 Mbits/sec LAN subsystem using the Realtek* LAN adapter device

Peripheral interfaces |Six USB 2.0 ports

|Two SATA ports (3.0 GB/s)

|One parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support

|One serial port

|One parallel port

|PS/2* keyboard and mouse ports

Expansion capabilities |One PCI Conventional* bus connector

[BREAK=Board Layout]

Layout:

Pretty small but powerful. Something amazing is that the cpu is passively cooled while the 945 Chipset has been given active cooling. Not something you generally come across.

DSC01273_resize.JPG
DSC01276_resize.JPG

Back Panel I/O

DSC01267_resize.JPG

A one rupee coin in comparison with the Atom Heatsink

(that's the only solid state capacitor onboard.)

DSC01285_resize.JPG

20-pin main power connector instead of the 24-pin

DSC01288_resize.JPG

One IDE and 2 sata connectors capable of connecting upto 4 Drives

DSC01294_resize.JPG
DSC01297_resize.JPG

The southbridge

DSC01298_resize.JPG

2 fan headers, one being used by the chipset.

(but it doesn't seem like the cpu even needs one)

DSC01306_resize.JPG

Expansion options are very limited with one PCI slot

PCI express, would be "asking for too much", although it can be of great use for HTPC's

DSC01311_resize.JPG

Board in comparison with a cd case

DSC01318_resize.JPG

[BREAK=Bios and Hardware]

Bios & Hardware:

Its same as what you generally expect from an Intel board. The only disadvantage, not being able to overclock from BIOS.

Hardware Setup:

• Intel Atom (1.6GHz)+ D945GCLF
  • 1Gb Corsair Value Select @ 667 Mhz
  • 80 Gb Seagate HDD
  • Dell SP2208WFP (1680x1050 via analog cable) *cant help it, I don't have a smaller monitor..:ashamed:
  • LG IDE DVD-RW Drive

• Generic Cabinet and PSU

Windows XP with SP2

Installing:

Right from the time it says copying files, till its ready for use.

Time taken for Installation: 25m, 15s

Windows installed with no issues. Drivers had to be installed, the generic ones don't work well.

The GPU was running the graphic interface at 800x600 without the driver being installed. After installation it could manage 1680x1050.

No lag is seen during normal usage, works well with most applications running(office, messengers, A/V, Firefox and media players).

CPU-z

cpuz1.jpg
cpuz2.jpg

cpuz3.jpg

[BREAK=Tests]

Tests

I wished I had a system to compare this with, nevertheless i tried to get some results to give you some idea of its performance.

Super-Pi -1M

1m,33.484s

Stress Test and Temps:

43C was the max it would touch.

Cinebench R10

(default settings)

Open GL standard Test:273

Single CPU Render Test:547

Multiple GPU Render Test:835

Unigraphics NX4 :p

Well believe it or not, this CAD/CAM software runs smooth as silk.

I'm not saying that it can do all possible stuff, but beginners modelling can be done pretty easily.

Creating the model was a cake walk, but rendering with textures/matetials using RayTraced/FFA took 18.2sec (which is quite bearable as rendering is not what you would do all the time).

[BREAK=GPU]

GPU

The CPU seems to have done whats it says, but a performance drop is seen due to the 945 chipset. The IGP does not perform in line with the CPU.

Its quite primitive, from the standpoint of the CPU

GTA San Andreas

Just for the fun of it, At first I tried running it at 1680x1050

It loaded the game, but really sucked. The game was moving frame by frame.

I then tried it at resulotions 800x600 and 640x480.

It wasn't all that great, but playable. The image quality was pathetic.

|

800x600|640x480
Looking at the GPU performance i gave up the idea of trying Need For Speed Most Wanted and running 1080p videos.:ashamed:

[BREAK=Vista?]

Now comes the interesting question.

Will it run Windows Vista with all its bells and whistles?

Installing Windows Vista Ultimate

Right from the time it says copying files, till its ready for use.

Time taken for Installation: ~26mins

Installation+Initial Benchmarking Tests: 37mins

Now that its installed, the drivers are required before conducting the next benchmark test.

Before installing the drivers, I got a lowest rating of 2.3.

here's what I get now:

rating.jpg

Its quite obvious that the GPU is not meant for any kind of gaming.

But is it capable of eye-candy?

Atleast the sidebar and Windows flip work smoothly. (at 1680x1050:hap2:)

task_resize.jpg

So as long as you stick to using it for office work, some music, a couple of videos and internet. It should work great. (I don't recommend Vista though)

[BREAK=Conclusion]

Knowing that you can get a Celeron+nForce610 combo for almost the same rate, its difficult to convince people to buy this, as it doesnt have the advantage of the nvidia chipset. But this combo comes in a total different category. Its main purpose being compact, having almost no moving parts, and low power consumption.

As I mentioned the GPU/CHIPSET is pathetic, but it gives the option of other desktop features, like having SATA drives and other stuff. The 945 Chipset itself consumes more power than the processor, so until a better chipset comes out, its application in laptops will be the only best option. As for desktops its limited to NAS Drives, Car PC's, Office PC's.

The most suited Operating system would be Windows XP, which works flawlessly(as long as you dont play the new 3D games and watch HD videos).

As for linux, I'd say throw any distro, it will run just fine.

Pro's

• Compact.
  • Efficient and low power consumption.
  • Price (Rs.3350/-@ Deltapage.com)
  • Almost no moving parts (by using flash disks and passive cooling)
Con's
  • 945 Chipset
  • A PCI-e Slot could make a great HTPC
  • Poor 3D performance
Other Thought's:

RAID and Gigabit LAN would be an added bonus.

Well this was my first review, please throw in your comments.. whatever it may be.!:)

-regards

thnx DarkStar!

@racy1

I dont have a watt meter to note the actual power.

About noise n heat, its almost silent, as i said not many moving parts and a very small fan.

The TDP of the CPU is 2.5W, (in comparison with a quad which is 95W) is verry low and the chipset doesnt get that hot either(touched both while running).

spynic said:
thnx DarkStar!
@racy1
I dont have a watt meter to note the actual power.
About noise n heat, its almost silent, as i said not many moving parts and a very small fan.
The TDP of the CPU is 2.5W, (in comparison with a quad which is 95W) is verry low and the chipset doesnt get that hot either(touched both while running).

Thanxx for the info buddy.... one more thing.... do they have any other ATOM board combo as well & a case to go with it....

spynic said:
i dont think u get any other board here, but a gigabyte board is available, u may hav to look for it.
about the case, it fits in any case. But if ur looking for something small, there are some cases used for cars avail at iride.in

EDIT:
Cases & Enclosures | iRide Technologies
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-GC230D(Atom) (rev. 1.0)
Great Info ... repped... :) :)

That Gigabyte mobo does look great.. another one I found is from MSI... Its apparently called WIND board & is available in Japan currently... its not the same board which will come with WIND desktop PC but a completely different board with 2 RAM slots & fully passively cooled design.... :hap2: :hap2:

MSI Website

MSI Unveils Energy-Efficient Wind Board Motherboard - GoodCleanTech

MSI Wind Board

Looks like the ATOM bases mobos will come in coming months & will make a good alternative for 24/7 download rig... :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

vNerd said:
Now if they only were to add a decent graphics system to it, that can run 1080p, I would get rid of my main rig and the EeePC. :D

I think in its current iteration the ATOM platform is still not mature enough to be called an energy efficient system 'coz of the dated 945GC chipset & inability to play 1080p...

Maybe in its next chipset upgrade Intel might come up with a more energy efficient chipset exclusively designed for ATOM & a UVD like hardware decoder for VC-1 & 1080p...

racy1 said:
I think in its current iteration the ATOM platform is still not mature enough to be called an energy efficient system 'coz of the dated 945GC chipset & inability to play 1080p...

Maybe in its next chipset upgrade Intel might come up with a more energy efficient chipset exclusively designed for ATOM & a UVD like hardware decoder for VC-1 & 1080p...

yes this is true, the 945 chipset eats up 35W of power, they need a better chipset with preferably a 4x or 8x PCI-ex line too.

vNerd said:
Now if they only were to add a decent graphics system to it, that can run 1080p, I would get rid of my main rig and the EeePC. :D

it wud be awesome to see an efficient chipset for this..may be in the coming months..

This board will further help cut costs for people who want an ultra cheap configuration.....although I wish if there's a case as small as this :p.

Amazing work spynic...reps

The Sorcerer said:
This board will further help cut costs for people who want an ultra cheap configuration.....although I wish if there's a case as small as this :p.
Amazing work spynic...reps

mini-ITX is still a new platform for current market standards but once consumer interests shoots up we can hope to see good cases for the platform...

AMEN!!! :D

Back