MNP: Vodafone to Airtel or Jio?

I migrated from Vi to Airtel as that would get my DTH, Broadband and Mobile from a single provider. easier to manage bills.

Bumping again. As I had mentioned before, I can only use Vi with my 6S, this is going to change with a new phone coming soon. So now again same query, airtel or Jio? It will be prepaid.

Airtel customer service is absolute worst. One of my SIM started getting no service despite having validity/recharge. As I am based out of India at the moment, only modes to contact them are their app/email/Twitter. I got no reply on any of those. For Twitter, it was retweeted several times by others as well but no f****s given. Whenever I am next time able to do, first thing I am going to do is port out. Negative outcome is still acceptable but no response is next level low !

Airtel customer service is absolute worst. One of my SIM started getting no service despite having validity/recharge. As I am based out of India at the moment, only modes to contact them are their app/email/Twitter. I got no reply on any of those. For Twitter, it was retweeted several times by others as well but no f****s given. Whenever I am next time able to do, first thing I am going to do is port out. Negative outcome is still acceptable but no response is next level low !

There should definitely be a customer care number that you can contact using some other phone right?

There should definitely be a customer care number that you can contact using some other phone right?
There are direct numbers to call from other networks. As an Airtel black customer, I get very prompt service. No more long-winded IVR messages. They even replaced my broadband router after 3 of the LAN ports capped at 100mbps on a 200mbps plan. Didn't charge anything.

As an Airtel black customer
This is important point... I've been hearing about this, Airtel black customers having better support assistance than others(literally no support). Basically they are trying to move people into Black plans to increase ARPU.

Black customers get premium service, I suppose.
Still that doesn't mean "fending for self" for non -black customers.
Even before black was introduced, never had any issues getting support from Airtel for broadband and DTH. Just boils down to individual luck I guess. I had a horrid time getting a network issue resolved by Vi and it wasn't until I initiated MNP did they start pestering me about resolution and retention.
This is important point... I've been hearing about this, Airtel black customers having better support assistance than others(literally no support). Basically they are trying to move people into Black plans to increase ARPU.
My spending has not changed between black and non black tier. Same 999 for broadband, same custom pack for dth, and same 399/499 for postpaid.

Btw not advocating for airtel, just sharing my experience with them.

My spending has not changed between black and non black tier. Same 999 for broadband, same custom pack for dth, and same 399/499 for postpaid.
Yes exactly like you are the people they're looking for now, you provide the ARPU what they're expecting. But people who are mainly in prepaid having problems in getting support, this is especially from last three months after recent tariff hikes.

Is Jio saturated or something with lots of people opting for that and perceiving airtel as little more premium? I don't want worse network than vodafone. It is not like I hate vodafone or something. But wife has vodafone already and sometimes it happens we are somewhere with bad network of Vi and this means things don't work for both of us, With having a different operator, we won't have that issue.

Yes exactly like you are the people they're looking for now, you provide the ARPU what they're expecting. But people who are mainly in prepaid having problems in getting support, this is especially from last three months after recent tariff hikes.
Ah. I haven't used Prepaid since 2008.
Is Jio saturated or something with lots of people opting for that and perceiving airtel as little more premium? I don't want worse network than vodafone. It is not like I hate vodafone or something. But wife has vodafone already and sometimes it happens we are somewhere with bad network of Vi and this means things don't work for both of us, With having a different operator, we won't have that issue.
I was happy with Vi until the network issue started. Was using it from 2007 till 2021. My wife and parents are still on Vi, with parents on prepaid and my Wife on postpaid. They are happy to remain on it since they don't have business-critical communication on daily basis. Better to have two networks in one home so that you have some redundancy.

it happens we are somewhere with bad network of Vi
It's simple. Have two different network, one being VI, other being Jio or Airtel based on trial and error. As mentioned above, your network receiption depends a lot on the area where you are located.
Back in my village, Idea or VI is strong, Jio is non-existent, Airtel plays catch-up. Bsnl has its network down most of the times.
Either amongst the jio, airtel, both should be good in terms of coverage.

It's simple. Have two different network, one being VI, other being Jio or Airtel based on trial and error. As mentioned above, your network receiption depends a lot on the area where you are located.
Back in my village, Idea or VI is strong, Jio is non-existent, Airtel plays catch-up. Bsnl has its network down most of the times.
Either amongst the jio, airtel, both should be good in terms of coverage.

Yes seems I will have to give a shot to say Jio and see how it is and if I see bad performance in my area, switch to airtel after few months. While being at home, if they support wifi calling, it is ok since then network issue is not longer much an issue.

While being at home, if they support wifi calling, it is ok since then network issue is not longer much an issue
While both do support Vowifi, for some reason Airtel seems to be more twitchy. But I think it has more to do with my device (Poco X3), as my sim on another device has vowifi working flawlessly, Dad's Airtel also has vowifi without issue, both devices being Android One. Since you will be using on iphone, don't think vowifi should be an issue.
I think other members experience with vowifi should help here.

Vi has issue with signal strength on lower side always than airtel or jio....also Vowifi on Vi is not good so far....my brother has issue with it every time when receiving or calling someone and so does my dad sometimes....so my dad uses airtel as secondary.....this issue has crept up more so after idea and voda merged...before that voda was good but only with less towers..otherwise it wud work very good.

Vi has issue with signal strength on lower side always than airtel or jio....also Vowifi on Vi is not good so far....my brother has issue with it every time when receiving or calling someone and so does my dad sometimes....so my dad uses airtel as secondary.....this issue has crept up more so after idea and voda merged...before that voda was good but only with less towers..otherwise it wud work very good.
Agree

So it seems VI's merger has still some issues. And it would take a good time coz the profit earned, if any, goes into Govt coffers rather than improving infrastructure.

So it seems VI's merger has still some issues. And it would take a good time coz the profit earned, if any, goes into Govt coffers rather than improving infrastructure.
Infra is good..the problem is the merging of two networks as multiple aspects needed to be taken care of.....which is not easy and due to redundancy that got created because of merger lot of experienced staff left before being fired and that did cause deterioration in migration which will and did effected the network....it has improved somewhat from what it was when they merged but still far from like airtel or jio

goes into Govt coffers rather than improving infrastructure.
if we look the historical record what you hinting would be the logical course.
taking stake in Vi was govt's obligation to save its face... it will go downhill from here, no surprise or doubt.

For BSNL - it still has decent infra across the country, mostly left abandoned. smaller cites dont even have power backup due to budget/corruption for their towers. Many of BSNL employees ( mid and lower section) do realise their livelihoods are at stake and wanted to do good... but the top management is either super lazy or frustrated.

I have Vodafone (still using since 2004 or so ), Even in Maharashtra wherever i have roamed in last 2 years.. Vi suks and was the worst. soon i will port out to BSNL
I don't have any expectation of improving mobile network in this country anytime sooner and would never opt for jio - that's for sure even if they are then only provider in this country.
Hence i have resorted to landlines now for most of my calls.

Airtel is better choice as either it be rural or urban - the tower is good, with nice plans according to usage.

In Jio, the cheapest plans are exclusively for JioPhones (not in the case of Airtel), and apart from that only advantage it has, is that you can get access to Jio apps like JioNews,JioTV etc.

Back