Mobile number Portability- when is it happening?

connect

Disciple
so when will the no. portability start , i am fed up with my airtel connection, need to move to TATA DOCOMO ,

can somebody throw some more light , when will this start

Well it should have been implemented last year itself, were it not for the powerful telecom companies lobby (read Bharti, Vodafone & Idea), who are opposed tooth and nail to the whole concept.

And then it got overshadowed by the 2G spectrum allotment scam, and now 3G and BWA auctions. Wonder what next deadline will TRAI announce.

arjpillai said:
Well it should have been implemented last year itself, were it not for the powerful telecom companies lobby (read Bharti, Vodafone & Idea), who are opposed tooth and nail to the whole concept.

And then it got overshadowed by the 2G spectrum allotment scam, and now 3G and BWA auctions. Wonder what next deadline will TRAI announce.
Dont always trust what you read in the news. :lol: That line in bold is grossly incorrect.

MNP can go live only when ALL the operators are ready and tested. BSNL and MTNL did not even order their equipment and software till 2 months back.

Anyway it has been shifted to end October. India further delays mobile number portability | Reuters Which again may not be set in stone.

Well I am following articles related to introduction of mobile number portability from 2005 onwards and every time the deadline increases.

I doubt if it will be ever introduced. Just being extended everytime for no particular reason.

As it is government is loose, playing around with operators to mint more and more money and takes us for granted.

Renegade said:
Dont always trust what you read in the news. :lol: That line in bold is grossly incorrect.

MNP can go live only when ALL the operators are ready and tested. BSNL and MTNL did not even order their equipment and software till 2 months back.

Anyway it has been shifted to end October. India further delays mobile number portability | Reuters Which again may not be set in stone.
Point taken.

So there is no lobby as such ?
The delay in ordering the equipment by the PSUs was due to fears over their Chinese origins. Is this hot air as well ?

arjpillai said:
Point taken.

So there is no lobby as such ?

The delay in ordering the equipment by the PSUs was due to fears over their Chinese origins. Is this hot air as well ?
No that is correct. Gov has mandated that any new equipment order has to go through them for approval due the fear of Chinese taking over. The communication equipment is the backbone of a country so..

Well the gov is taking its time to approve the orders, cant really blame BSNL and MTNL in that.

Yesterday only it was delayed a month more from september end to october end....Dont be surprise if it gets passed to new year.....

Reason state own companies MTNL And BSNL now crying that they have to spend more whereas they lost all in 3g stuff

MAGNeT said:
Yesterday only it was delayed a month more from september end to october end....Dont be surprise if it gets passed to new year.....

Reason state own companies MTNL And BSNL now crying that they have to spend more whereas they lost all in 3g stuff

hmmmmm it seems only MTNL & BSNL bid for 3G.

^ it will come into action at some point of time , as of now i am seeing another 2 years down the line :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i am using tata docomo prepaid on my backup phone and i simply love their no fuss prepaid plan , flat 1p/sec all local , std, landline , without any pack , no processing fee for recharge of 150 and above , full talktime , comes with lifetime validity , so no worry abt monthly validity and stuff ,

i wish i cud get the same plan on my 5 yr old airtel no , just coz my no is so old and circulated all over my friends who i might never meet , i dont wish to change the airtel no ,

Emperor said:
hmmmmm it seems only MTNL & BSNL bid for 3G.
Naa actually they got it for free or very cheap but point was when auctions are held the company had to pay according at same levels of highest bidder...The bidders outstretched and mtnl,bsnl turned cast strapped now and saying they dont have money for infrastructure now.....Anyways a QIP(fund,cheap loans etc) or something coming up

I really doubt number portability is being held-back due to government not approving telecom gear orders specially those originating from China. Past 2 years the TRAI (or was it DoT) had set dead lines, but each time the SPs whined that they were not ready. Airtel/Vodaphone were part of this lobby. The latest wagon jumpers are state owned MTNL / BSNL, since they are low on cash reserves.

Incidentally, today I read that the government has given BlackBerry 15 days to make their data transfer 'formats' compatible with India's monitoring/surveillance protocols. Blackberry apparently uses 256BIT encryption to transfer messages, which our government is 'not' able to monitor. So..errrm..they will have to change, or might face issues operating in India as vendors.

I got call from vodafone asking if i am Satisfy with there service?

Then asked are you interested in moving to other service provider?[she said number Portability is going start in upcoming months]

Back