Mobile Phone Insurance - Help Needed

MHG

Adept
Can you avail personal insurance policy on mobile phones in India ?

I had my Samsung Galaxy Y pick-pocketed from a crowded bus and am not to keen on buying another smartphone without an Insurance policy in place.

I'm looking for a policy on a new phone that covers all forms of theft and is renewable every year (I normally keep a phone for 3-4 years).

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but this seemed the most appropriate.

[font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif]New India Assurance Company offers one but considering their terms and conditions there are many loopholes and recovering the amount could turn a cumbersome process ...[/font]

Too many loopholes for them to deny claims.
<

Exclusions under the mobile phone insurance policy are:
  • Mysterious disappearance.
    <

• Theft from unattended vehicles, except from fully enclosed car that is securely locked.
    <

• Theft, loss or damage during the hire or loan to a third party.
  • Mechanical and electronic breakdown or derangement.
    <

• Overloading and experimentation involving imposition of any abnormal conditions.
    <

• Damage by wear and tear, vermin, atmospheric or climatic condition or gradual deterioration, inherent defect or from any process of cleaning, repairing or maintenance.
    <

• Loss or damage due to war or nuclear perils, loss by water or from any water borne craft.
  • Intentional or willful act of the insured party.

Still looks somewhat better than having absolutely no insurance right ? Especially for an expensive phone....

Ofcourse it does make sense to insure an expensive phone, so as to reduce some tension & keep your heart healthy.
<

On a serious note if you are going to get it from any company then you should ask what would they do if the same handset is no longer available in the market or if you don't want to buy a similar handset. Will they give you cash or this policy allows only replacement in kind/smilar handset ?

Do keep us posted here about the cost and the terms of the policy if you make an enquiry for insuring your hanset.
<

If you get a chance to go through the terms and conditions, do that. If there is a break in and the police verifies that you may be able to recover your money easier than losing it in a crowded bus.

then it cannot be a case of negligence, there has to be forced signs of entry etc. so I would suggest understanding them and their likelihood before spending, though the amount is not a lot.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Dude! If you lost your phone which was insured, then one important document to submit is FIR copy. I am 100% sure you cannot get FIR copy for lost or stolen phones. At the most your complaint gets entered in Lost and found register and you get printed format complaint letter which is different for different police station. If at all you insist for FIR then you know how our system works.Better purchase tracking software than paying insurance premium.

Stumbled upon this as i just heard two people mention that they bought this.

Is it really that effective?

Their is newly mobile protection plan available in market name is " mobile phone protection plan " What is covered in Mobile Protection Plan ?
• Water Damage
• Accidental Damage
• SCREEN DAMAGE
• Fire
• Loss
• Theft

- - - Updated - - -

Their is newly mobile protection plan available in market name is " mobile phone protection plan " What is covered in Mobile Protection Plan ?
• Water Damage
• Accidental Damage
• SCREEN DAMAGE
• Fire
• Loss
• Theft

• Water Damage
• Accidental Damage
• SCREEN DAMAGE
• Fire
• Loss
• Theft

- - - Updated - - -

• Water Damage
• Accidental Damage
• SCREEN DAMAGE
• Fire
• Loss
• Theft

Is this list of what is covered or what is not covered?

Back