Mobile Scam banking fraud

Took I4C (the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre ) three weeks to get to the bottom of it

Got message from electricity company that your bill is pending Rs 25 please pay immediately or your electricity will be cut off.

As many as 120 headers operated by a group linked to a Chinese entity were blocked by telecom authorities in the past two months based on information provided by the Union Home Ministry.

Citing an example, a Ministry official said that the header of West Bengal State Electricity Distribution – WBSEDC - was compromised and taken over by a Chinese host. The headers were misused to dupe consumers who received messages pertaining to outstanding electricity bills. “The SMS contained malicious links, which when clicked would lead to financial loss for the consumer as the hacker would get access to the person’s phone. Consumers would fall for it as the header genuinely belongs to the State electricity distribution company,” the official said.

Connection ?
Damn, the treads derail so fast from the topic!
See above

The Centre has been trying to strengthen I4C that was started in 2020. The Threat Analytical Unit (TAU) of the I4C analyses the pattern of financial crimes and frauds and sends reports to central agencies such as the National Investigation Agency (NIA), Enforcement Directorate or State police forces.
The TAU recently flagged to the authorities that scammers were trawling consumer redressal websites of banks and other commercial firms to dupe people. “After hacking into consumer websites, the caller would call the affected person saying he was calling from their bank and was here to redress the complaint. The consumer readily shares information including One Time Passcode (OTP) that gives the hacker access to their bank account, losing money in the process,” said another official.
Quality social engineering. All easy marks in one place :cool:

Last edited:
My relative has got nothing yet.
Cyber crime still shows investigation under process.
If you think your relatives will get anything then you have so much faith in the system :p. Good for you.
I have read so many similar scam stories and not once read that the scammed party got anything back. I hope your relatives have better luck than others.

If you think your relatives will get anything then you have so much faith in the system :p. Good for you.
I have read so many similar scam stories and not once read that the scammed party got anything back. I hope your relatives have better luck than others.
Actually my relative is saying cyber crime had got the money back to the bank but bank returned it as it says customer did the transaction and they found no fault and closed the investigation from their side.

Exact details I dont know too. I just called them today and asked them to see if they can go to bank and get more details.

I am not expecting tbh.

Back