CPU/Mobo mobo + cpu help..

guys i need your help for buying mobo + proc.
dont want to spend too much..waiting for conroe....:)

main problem - want to utilize my two things -
1. 6600GT - AGP
2. 2 GB DDR-400Mhz DDR I memory..

would like to avoid AMD and dont want to spend more than 8K.
but would love to overclock as max as possible...
dont play much games... mostly AOE kind of games and 6600GT is enough.
always use VMware to run 2003 server and 2 XP clients and 1 server as member server so multithreading is must so Intel only.......

does Pentium D works with DDR 400Mhz... i mean any mobo...
if anybody wants to sell his Pentium D and mobo then plz welcome..

help guys..

You get Pentium D 805 for around 6k and the Asus P5RD1-VM is for 2500 -2600 or so.

Cheapest combo i guess.

Be ready for a new heater in the house though...

Its a DDR board so you can use your existing RAM.

then search for Socket 478

Dont expect to find anything in Intel LGA775.

You can get good board in AMD though...but then you dont want AMD..so

Now its upto you to decide

A8N and 3000 will cost me 9k right ???
but again PCIe problem. i dont want to sell 6600GT.
and there should be good board with AGP and 4 RAM slots...
you know my requirements still you should think i should try AMD.

my lappy is much faster than my 2.4c which is AMD 3000+ but i dont use it heavily. still if you say then let me try AMD...

Get the ASUS P5P800-SE. Very nice board and had everything that you want.

1) AGP Supports 6600GT
2) DDR Use your 2GB sticks
3) LGA 775 Supports Intel PentiumD 805

Its based on the Intel 865 chipset and performs very well. Overclocks well too. Seen most of the ppl hit 3.5+GHz with the above proccie and a couple with 4+GHz.

Raghu.

I dont know why you guys are so scared buying AMD based systems. You should always try new things in life. So if you have a AGP Graphics Card then go for ASRock 939 Dual-SATA 2 Motherboard (Rs. 3500) and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Rs. 5000/-). This board has also got PCI-X 16x slot so it's very much futuristic.

arnov said:
I dont know why you guys are so scared buying AMD based systems. You should always try new things in life. So if you have a AGP Graphics Card then go for ASRock 939 Dual-SATA 2 Motherboard (Rs. 3500) and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Rs. 5000/-). This board has also got PCI-X 16x slot so it's very much futuristic.

Looks good. Or you can get a Asus A8NE n 3000 for 10K. but that ASrock also seems good enough.

arnov said:

He is not exactly scared of running an AMD system. His requirements are met better by Intel. A dualcore will definitely be way better than the 3000+ for multithreading. The PentiumD 805 comes for about 5.8k (slightly costlier than 3000+) and will perform way better for his tasks like running vmware.

hunt3r said:
^^Dont u require a 945 chipset board to run a dual core processor?

Not necessary. Its supported officially and i have seen many people working with the combo. For that matter, the Asrock 865 chipset based mobo supports even Conroe :eek:hyeah:

Raghu.

Raghunandan said:
He is not exactly scared of running an AMD system. His requirements are met better by Intel. A dualcore will definitely be way better than the 3000+ for multithreading. The PentiumD 805 comes for about 5.8k (slightly costlier than 3000+) and will perform way better for his tasks like running vmware.

Not necessary. Its supported officially and i have seen many people working with the combo. For that matter, the Asrock 865 chipset based mobo supports even Conroe :eek:hyeah:

Raghu.

I agree with the Dual core part

but i dont think the Asrock 865 will support conroe...yes???

Dude. The P4P800E deluxe is not what you are looking for. Look for the model i have given. That is the only one that will work and please be firm about it when you talk to the dealer. It costs around $85 in the USA, so it should be less than Rs5000 here.

I have one more idea tho. Sell your 6600GT (the AGP cards fetch a good price, more than the PCI-E). Get a second hand 6600GT PCI-E and buy a decent motherboard with PCI-E and DDR.

Raghu.

What Sujata has is P4C800 -E-Deluxe.

And for god sake avi please note that there are 2 or more models....

P4C800/P4P800 etc...

There is no board with a name - 'P4800'

C and P make a lot of difference.

The earlier is based on 875P [Canterwood] Chipset

The other one is based on versions of 865 Chipset....

Back