CPU/Mobo mobo help for E6400.

guys plz help me deciding mobo for my upcoming E6400.
currently i have 2 plans -

1. get cheap mobo which will work with my PentiumD for next 2 months and then get good OC capable mobo with E6400.
options - Asrock 775Dual (from darky)
other opitons plz ?????????????????? ( not heavy but want decent oc)

2. get very good quality mobo like Gagabyte DS3, Asus P5B dlx, etc.. but not enough moeny right now for these mobos plus i need to invest in momory as well as i have only DDR-400 sticks.

plz help.. which best value mobo can help me. max budget for mobo is 6-7k.
OC is very important not at extreme level but it should be decent enough.

help guys my x1800XT card is just sitting idle in box... need mobo fast..
Avi

If you want to keep using your DDR400, then the only option to go for is the Asrock board. Other alternative is to sell your old ram and get a board like Gigabyte P965-S3 along with DDR2 RAM. There seem to be very few decent 965 boards under 8k.

If you can get the Asrock board, then its the best option for now. the board costs about 3k, supports DDR as well as DDR2. When you have enough cash, you can buy a new board and DDR2 RAM.

i dont want to use my existing ram.
just i cant spend too much on mobo +ram right now.
so i want cheaper soluton.
how is ur neo.
is thee any new bios which allows higher OC...

any Intel mobo or value Asus mobo but again i dont think they will provide decent OC. not expecting extreme but i want to take e6400 till 2.8+ min.....

avi

Performance wise Neo is quite good. In fact it seems that at stock settings there is not a lot of difference between any of the P965 boards. But the BIOS of Neo is pretty limited. Max frequency value you can enter is 333MHz. I have heard that theres some Beta BIOS in the works which takes the limit hard limit to 500MHz. People who reviewed this board have stated that 333MHz on this board can be reached pretty easily without any voltage increases and zero issues. For mild overclocks up to 333MHz its pretty decent solution selling under 7k. If you want to reach 2.8Ghz on a E6400, it will work out to 8 x 350Mhz. So Neo will be out of question. Maybe you can try for Gigabyte S3, but availabilty seems to be a problem.

hi
Please avoid going for a cheap p4 upgrade ,get the e6400 and try the MSI 965 series of boards i think they are good for budget overclocking and the neo 965 is good for casual overclocking .

thx guys..
i purchased Asus P5B delux Wi-Fi edition.
but currently using only PentiumD. i will upgrade to C2D next month end.

thx all for help.

Back