CPU/Mobo Mobo recommendations

Would like some advice on which mobo to purchase.Here's the system specs I am going for..

1.Quad core Q9400/Q9550

2.Transcend 2x2GB 800mhz RAM

3.WD 500GB SATA II

4.CM Extreme 600W

5.ATI HD4870 1GB
6.CM Elite 334 ATX

Checked some mobos but found they had issues including the asus p5n7a-vm which ranged from high temps to not recognising more than 3gb of memory.All in all I got a nice pulsating headache from searching.So looking for a good stable mobo and also I dont overclock .

Let me be the first one to do the honors

igtonetightslapclerkm.jpg

hehe.. no really never buy CM extreme series

Firstly, as mentioned above, avoid CM Extreme power series.

Secondly, No budget mentioned?
Get Gigabyte's EP45 UD3P.

A rig like that and you don't intend to overclock? You won't be running your hardware to its actual potential. Clear your doubts, ask questions, it'll do you a world of good. :)
Good luck with the purchase.

Could have atleast posted some mobo names while uploading the image.As for the CM extreme..inquired from some of my friends and other guys who been using it 2 years or more..but if it is an issue will go for something else.

@amien-Thx for the advise and budget is arnd 10k.Also primates arent good at overclocking.

Will switch from CM extreme to corsair.

SMPS - VX450..

mobo - +1 to amien..

overclocking would make a hell of a lot of difference in the performance of the machine.. if u are willing to do it then get after market coolers as well..

Edit : how bout the Asus P5Q Pro..? price ~ 9k

madmonkey said:
Could have atleast posted some mobo names while uploading the image.As for the CM extreme..inquired from some of my friends and other guys who been using it 2 years or more..but if it is an issue will go for something else.

@amien-Thx for the advise and budget is arnd 10k.Also primates arent good at overclocking.

Haha, that made me chuckle.
Don't worry bro, even the handsome fellow in your avatar can do it w/o any side/harmfull effects. Tell you what, drop me a PM when you want to try, i'll take responsibility for your hardware's safety :).
The UD3P is around 8-9k. Asus P5Q Pro is also a good choice.

CM Extreme power PSU have a tendency to spontaneously combust and sometimes take out the rest of your hardware with it, i'd suggest you not try to learn this lesson via experience. :p

Also, consider a GTX 260 core 216/GTX 275 instead of the 4870.

Just a suggestion:- It makes no sense to go for a new high end quad now with LGA 775 being phased out slowly. Either spend a bit more and go for an i7 based config, or spend less and look at either Intel dual core options or go the AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE way. Believe me you won't be missing much.

madmonkey said:
@amien-The i7 specs would be my next rig.Had originally intended to go for the E8400 but then changed to a quad.

Fair enough, if going for a high end dual core, might as well go for a quad.
The real value is in the lower-mid range dual cores.
Just do a good amount of research before you buy and all is well :)

PS: About the memory, i recommend higher quality, low latency sticks, go for G.skill Pi Black 2x2GB kit. Does 800Mhz @ CL4 4-4-4-12 timings on 1.8-1.9 volts. These are now available locally with a 5 year warranty for 3,500 or so, either that or go with 1066 sticks w/o heatspreaders or any other bells and whistles.

bah.....i would suggest spend 800 bucks more n go for Glacialpower 650W

....i dont like the vx450....IT CANNOT RUN 4870 cuz of less power connectors

+ with the GP650W, u can later addon extra HDD if you want

VaRz said:
bah.....i would suggest spend 800 bucks more n go for Glacialpower 650W
....i dont like the vx450....IT CANNOT RUN 4870 cuz of less power connectors
+ with the GP650W, u can later addon extra HDD if you want

800more?? GP650 costs 4.8k?? what a rip-off! :rofl:

And for the 4870 to run on VX450, use a twin-molex to pci-e power connector cord easily avaiable at any pc store.

VX450 is the Best SMPS for the above mentioned system.

As for the mobo, y ppl suggest such expensive mobos? i thot a Gigabyte EP31-DS3R for 3.1k overclockes max upto 90% of the max clock achieved by the suggested p45 (anyways i dont c a aftermarket cooler in OP's config, so he cant oush it that far anyways + he dsnt want to OC) and is loaded with nice features.

sato1986 said:
800more?? GP650 costs 4.8k?? what a rip-off! :rofl:

And for the 4870 to run on VX450, use a twin-molex to pci-e power connector cord easily avaiable at any pc store.

VX450 is the Best SMPS for the above mentioned system.

As for the mobo, y ppl suggest such expensive mobos? i thot a Gigabyte EP31-DS3R for 3.1k overclockes max upto 90% of the max clock achieved by the suggested p45 (anyways i dont c a aftermarket cooler in OP's config, so he cant oush it that far anyways + he dsnt want to OC) and is loaded with nice features.

GP AL650= a 650W power supply with 90+% efficiency at 48+ degrees which can be overloaded to 730 or so watts for 4.8k is a rip off?

VX450= Awesome PSU, but i never want to put anywhere close to 80% of the rated power load on ANY PSU, therefore for 4870 or above, i will look at something higher.

EP31-DS3R= Its simple isn't it? OP listed his budget, he got a recommendation according to that. Saying the DS3R matchs the UD3P 90% on the grounds of OC ability and features.... i really don't know about that.

Regarding Aftermarket cooling: It's called "Aftermarket" isn't it? he can always get it "After" he makes the purchase.

Regarding OCing: No one want's to OC. Period. I didn't want to do it, and no one else i know "wanted" to do it from the word go.

Guys..no need to get into an argument since I am going for the UD3P Mobo as suggested(checked on it on the net including anand's nice review and so far so good).Just have a few questions though..

1.Would I still require the twin molex to pci-e cord for the 4870 if I switched to a Vx550.(Apologies for asking this since I am not tech savvy but when it comes to banana dishes and it's use as a weapon... I am the primate you are looking for.)

2.Would like to know a good cabinet which gives you the option for extra fans and good ventillation.Thought of the cm690 but those plastic things made me think otherwise. Budget would be arnd 4k for this.

madmonkey said:
Guys..no need to get into an argument since I am going for the UD3P Mobo as suggested(checked on it on the net including anand's nice review and so far so good).Just have a few questions though..

1.Would I still require the twin molex to pci-e cord for the 4870 if I switched to a Vx550.(Apologies for asking this since I am not tech savvy but when it comes to banana dishes and it's use as a weapon... I am the primate you are looking for.)

2.Would like to know a good cabinet which gives you the option for extra fans and good ventillation.Thought of the cm690 but those plastic things made me think otherwise. Budget would be arnd 4k for this.

1)AFAIK both the VX series PSU come with a single PCI-E power cord. The 4870 requires 2 PCI-E power connectors, using the molex converter thing isn't much of a problem though. Don't make it your critera for the purchase. If you're thinking of going for the VX550, i'd suggest the GP one instead, case in point being the price.

2)You can consider the new CM Gladiator, should be around 4k, if you can spend a bit more, get the NZXT Tempest for 6k, that's more cabinet than you'll ever need.

EDIT: Just checked, the VX550 has 1 PCI-e 6 pin and 1 8 pin, so that makes it 2.

Amien said:
GP AL650= a 650W power supply with 90+% efficiency at 48+ degrees which can be overloaded to 730 or so watts for 4.8k is a rip off?

VX450= Awesome PSU, but i never want to put anywhere close to 80% of the rated power load on ANY PSU, therefore for 4870 or above, i will look at something higher.

EP31-DS3R= Its simple isn't it? OP listed his budget, he got a recommendation according to that. Saying the DS3R matchs the UD3P 90% on the grounds of OC ability and features.... i really don't know about that.

Regarding Aftermarket cooling: It's called "Aftermarket" isn't it? he can always get it "After" he makes the purchase.

Regarding OCing: No one want's to OC. Period. I didn't want to do it, and no one else i know "wanted" to do it from the word go.

WHOA!! Nice one... Agree...

But regarding VX450 for the quad+4870, i still recommend it becoz Q9650 OCed +4870 system with hdds/fans etc consumes 230W DC on full load. Which is equal to 51.1% load on VX450.. --> Peak efficiency (86%)

Whereas 230W on a AL650 is only 35% Load --> Worse efficiency (Any PSU performs best when loaded between 50%-80% and worst when loaded below 40% mark)

But considering huge upgradation in some years onto a 350W load system, AL650 is also a nice Choice.

EDIT: Btw i jst checked, AL650 is a 520W PSU

sato1986 said:
WHOA!! Nice one... Agree...

But regarding VX450 for the quad+4870, i still recommend it becoz Q9650 OCed +4870 system with hdds/fans etc consumes 230W DC on full load. Which is equal to 51.1% load on VX450.. --> Peak efficiency (86%)
Whereas 230W on a AL650 is only 35% Load --> Worse efficiency (Any PSU performs best when loaded between 50%-80% and worst when loaded below 40% mark)

But considering huge upgradation in some years onto a 350W load system, AL650 is also a nice Choice.

Haan, you are correct in a way.
But you forgot to account for the fact that his board supports crossfire.
When you recommend a config, you look at every possible angle.

Guys..are you sure the UD3P mobo is arnd 8-9k cause its 12k here while the UD3R is 9k.And no one has the tempest cabinet.

Me sad :( ,me sit in corner.

^^
i repeat:
sato1986 said:

Back