CPU/Mobo MOBO selection for HTPC

Hi all,
I am upgrading my PC processor and Mobo. This system is for general use and is mainly used as HTPC. I have decided Intel Q6600 for a processor but still looking for a decent Mobo. Here are few points that i would be considering while looking for a board.

1. Board should be stable (Most Important)
2. Not a Avid Gamer so would not go for Overclocking.
3. If possible should have HDMI connector onboard so that i can connect my GPU's HDMI to onboard and connect it to my HDTV.

Please suggest some mobo's, i would be purchasing these items at the end of this month.

The Gigabyte 780G board has 3 pci slots but its an amd based board. A quadcore is an overkill for the htpc but I leave that for you to decide.
Ideally the amd x24000+ w/ 780G is what I would have recommended.

For your config I would recommend the Intel DG965WH board. If you find a 3rd party manufacturer providing 3 pci slots with a G33 chipset mobo then go for it.

yep man gigabye 780g based board is the best bet for an htpc.

quad core for htpc is like killing an ant with a bulldozer.

htpc must be quiet,energy efficient and must do the job.

780g has all of them. pair it with suitable athlon x2 according to ur budget and u are ready to go.

remember that for smooth hdtv quality the proccy must be above 3200+

i recommend u 4800+ or if u can ,gofor 5600+

also remember to get those "ultimate" seagate 7200.11 hard drives. man they are sweet.

Thanks for all the suggestion. Sorry for the delay was out of town. Well thanks to "Main_Trouble" and the video u sent me i have made up my mind with the Gigabye 780g based board. It truly is awesome, with everything that a HTPC needs. I think i would couple it with a 4800+. Would be getting it soon Also would really appreciate if you could provide the prices for the above mentioned combo.

As for rest of the HTPC i guess i have pretty much everything that i need. WD 7200.11 (250+500), Segate 7200.9 (320), Maxtor 7200.11 (250), Viewsonic 1912WB, HP Vista Media Center remote control, Create Audigy 4 coupled with Creative Inspire 5.1 and best of all Linksys wireless router with MTNL 2 MBps unlimited connection (accidently given by MTNL for 899/-) to download whole lot of HDRips.

the 780G is too expensive(5.5k)...imo get the 690G based mobo for 2k(approx)...and get a low end gfx card(for 3.5k)..like an Nvidia8500GT(preferebly an equivalent ati 3 series as they are superb for video processing and image quality) ..u will get a seperate gfx processor which is will be better than the onboard for the same price.

abhisheksahas said:
the 780G is too expensive(5.5k)...imo get the 690G based mobo for 2k(approx)...and get a low end gfx card(for 3.5k)..like an Nvidia8500GT(preferebly an equivalent ati 3 series as they are superb for video processing and image quality) ..u will get a seperate gfx processor which is will be better than the onboard for the same price.

Gigabyte 780G is for around 4.8 in NP, Delhi

Greenhorn, i went through the entire post u posted above. boy, o boy what a disaster an. i must appreciate ur patience in try to help the guy... hope we would close this thread pretty soon.

I had another query abt the tv tuner card. i want to use the card along with inbuild Vista Media Center program and not all cards are MCE compatible. I already have old Pinnacle 50i, Snazzio and a Hauppage card (bought from US, so does not work Indian PAL B system). I need a a good card which works with MCE, i would be using it along with the HP Media Center Remote.

Anymore suggestion on tuner card cause i really wanna use it within the MCE interface cause all my movies are properly arranged within the "My Movies" plugin for MCE, moreover it looks pretty neat and everything can be controlled by the single MCE remote control.

Back