OC & Modding Mod ur A8N-E to A8N-E SLi [Now ASUS can also do this]

Me too...... but on that guide, he is talking abt a PCIe x4 slot...... So, maybe he is considering a PCIEx4 slot as a PCIEx16.....

@quad ---- That link is not working properly..... The pics are not loading............

Last edited by a moderator:
But where is the PCIe 4x slot ??? My freind owns a A8N-E rev 2.0 exactly the one he is talking about, and there is just one x16 PCIe slot. Clear cut.

PCIe is always x16, what x4 ? Even AGP is now x8. Something is wrong with the mod, unless some of the hardware Gurus here can explain.

OK, I didn't even understand what the thread means ;)

I mean is the guy trying to test RAM or what ? Really a proper explanation will be appreciated.

Check the Anand Tech Thread first.
IT points to Xtreme Systems Thread and its the thread which has title
"ASUS A8N-E TCCD DDR600 1T Dual Test!"

I too exactly didnt understand how did he use the PCI-E x4 Slot.

How is it done on the DFI Ultra Mobo , do the DFI Ultra Mobo have 2 PCI-E x16 Slots.

ME too was also a bit confused but ppl at Anand Tech wont post false links.

check what he says
ASUS A8N-E nFORCE4 Ultra
PCI-E 16X

PCI-E 4X But...... What is this ?

Nforce 4 Ultra chip (really is Ultra ? )

ok lat me show you Bios

Test equip :
ASUS A8N-E Rev:2.00
ASUS N6200 GE
Win Fast 6800GT milk house x2
AMD FX-55 (3000+ heat sink)
AMD 939 3000+
G-Skill TCCD LA 256mb
Maxtor 80G RAID 0
Enermax 650w Power

300x8= 2.4Mhz Ram 2.6v

Ram 1:1 5-3-4-2.5 1T last AUTO

HT 4X (300x4=1200 FSB)
Run in xp

Prime95 preheat
300x9= 2.7Mhz CPUMark SiSoftware Super Pi 1M
next we preferment Ultra chip
Thanks johnnyliu3377 modify chip

A8N-E SLI
Win Fast 6800GT milk house in PCI-E 4X
Milk house SLI
3DMark 03 (VGA oc 415 1.15)
3DMark 05 (VGA oc 415 1.15)
YA~ I Love ASUS ~

Me didnt get Milk house SLI and it seems only possible with Leadtek Winfast.

Will have to read the complete AT Forum Post

Quad Master said:
How is it done on the DFI Ultra Mobo , do the DFI Ultra Mobo have 2 PCI-E x16 Slots.

Ok.....for the last time, YES it has 2PCI-E slots........
its smethng they call DUAL EXPRESS GRAPHICs......

Had posted this smewhr in ur thread only Quady.....

DXG helps for quad monitors support nd ultimate graphics experience as they add :rofl:

nd since all PCB's for the ultra, sli , sli -dr r same, the ultra-d is moddable to Sli-d.......... :cool2:

nd EVERY , nd i mean EVRY BOARD is MODDABLE TO SLI-D .......with no driver probs (like using old drivers ONLY ) :clap:
HOpe tht solved atleast smethng :no:

maybe the 2nd gfx goes into the pci-e 4x slot. But how is that possible??? All current gfx cards are 16x right?
The dfi has 2 16x slots (as well as 4x and 2x), so it has no probs.

Me now really confused at how this guy did this on his A8N-E.
Now guys dont hit me now for posting this topic , but there is something which i aint
understanding.

Also whats this
Win Fast 6800GT milk house in PCI-E 4X
Milk house SLI
he is mentioning about.

Okey what i understand from all this confusion is that.

Ther are two differnet types of NF4 Ultra Mobos available...

Onw which has one PCIe GFX slot(On which PCIe card fits ,The regular A8N-E)...

One which has two PCIe GFX slots(Not necessarily that both are 16x. One can be 16x and the other one can be 4x but the point to be noted is that both can accomodate a PCIe GFX card. Like the DFI). And remember this is not SLI chipset but the NF4 Ultra chipset.

No to mod the board all you need to do is some modding(Which i dont know how it would be done. I would have to read more and find out) which allows both the slots to run at 8x and you attach the SLI connector on top and use the older SLI drivers. And Wolla you hve gone SLI.

I hope i am correct.

@edit

I missed an important ingrediant... You need two similar cards to do this ;) ...

The second x4 slot in most boards(a8n,neo4) is open-ended so a graphics card will fit in it. The only thing is since its electrically x4, it won't run in x8 mode like true SLi.

@Chaos Buddy... Can you dig up a Pic of the slot... This is rather interesting than what i thought... Thanks for the info man...

@ Chaos

Damn this is so :S
nd wht is this bout an open ended 4x slot ???:huh:
*off to search info for the same*
EDIT: Found Pic :O

kindda thinkin this is it.............
But who thot of putin a x16 card in to x4 slot :O

or am i missin smethng here :huh:

Got it guys "Open Ended slot is the reason why 2 GPU's fit"

Thanks Chaos
Guys have a close look at the PCI-E x4 Slot its open at the other end so a PCI-E x 16
slot card fits it it.
Didnt notice earlier that PCI-E x4 slot was open at the other end

So this is how 2 GPu's fit , but still the 2nd GPU will run at 4X Speed.

So how i feel its worth trying this mod unless some HW soldering is not required.

It is semi SLI mod which i believe MSI was the first one to find out and display. It has about the 90% performance of true SLI, but AFAIK this mod is disabled in new nvidia drivers.Another prob with this MOD is, it is difficult to procure the SLI bridge for ASUS motherboard.

Quad Master said:
Got it guys "Open Ended slot is the reason why 2 GPU's fit"

Hope this close-up pic helps..

Sheriff said:
Another prob with this MOD is, it is difficult to procure the SLI bridge for ASUS motherboard.

yep.. i was going to point that out but u beat me to it.. :D

Back