Modded Xbox 360 arcade - Queries

vinodh89

Disciple
So folks, I'm gonna make my move to console gaming and planning to buy the Xbox 360 Arcade. And I'm going to be only playing backup games , hence getting it modded.

And my doubts :

- Do u think I should get a HDD for installing the games and playing it off HDD ? If I simply use the discs to play games, Am i reducing the disc lens's life ?
- Do I need a live subscription to install games to HDD ?
- Should I have to put discs in the tray and then start the game from HDD or Can I start the game without the disc from HDD, since the console is Modded ?
- What are the chances of getting banned from Xbox Live, If I use a stealth checked Game disc, play the game after the release date ?
- Can I update the firmware, dashboard of my modded console without any issues ? Suppose my console is banned, Can I still update the firmware and dashboard, through USB ?
Pls answer my doubts :) And I think i might be coming up with new set of questions again :D

vinodh89 said:
- Do u think I should get a HDD for installing the games and playing it off HDD ? If I simply use the discs to play games, Am i reducing the disc lens's life ?

If you plan on installing more than 2 games at a time, then yes, you might need to invest in a HDD. If you plan to utilise not more than 16GB at any given point, then you just need a 16GB Thumb drive which would suffice your need for storage on the console. The latest dashboard update allows you to use a normal USB drive as a means of storage, but it has a limit set to maximum of 16GB of space. As far as reducing the drive's lens is concerned, it will keep wearing out if you use scratched DVD's. It was also be slightly noisy and would generate some heat, as opposed to loading from HDD/USB drive.

vinodh89 said:
- Do I need a live subscription to install games to HDD ?

No you don't. Most of the Arcade comes pre-installed with the NXE dashboard which already has the feature to install games to HDD. Alternatively, You just need to download the latest dashboard update from Microsoft's website, load it on a thumb drive or CD/DVD and update your console. This ensures your console stays up-to-date for all games to be compatible with it.

vinodh89 said:
- Should I have to put discs in the tray and then start the game from HDD or Can I start the game without the disc from HDD, since the console is Modded ?

That depends on what kind of mod you're planning on it. You need to have the game installed to HDD first. If it's normal DVD firmware flashing, then you need the disc to be in the drive for authentication and it will then proceed to load the game via the HDD. If it's a JTAG, then you don't need the disc as you load ISO's directly off the HDD.

vinodh89 said:
- What are the chances of getting banned from Xbox Live, If I use a stealth checked Game disc, play the game after the release date ?

As much chance as that of a duck getting shot in the duck hunting season. It's purely hit and miss kind of thing. There are people who have always used stealth patches titles and then one day, BAM! They get banned. No one knows for sure what the banning patterns are or how they do it; it just happens. Some people have never been banned even with playing early releases online, may be it's luck, may be they have been flagged. Who knows? The point is, when you mod the console, you should be prepared for a ban at any point from XBL.

vinodh89 said:
- Can I update the firmware, dashboard of my modded console without any issues ? Suppose my console is banned, Can I still update the firmware and dashboard, through USB ?

Yes and Yes for both the questions. Firmware updates can be downloaded from websites and loaded on your consoles. It's not a content which is locked to 'A' particular persons profile or GT.

gizmoholic said:
@ OP - What is the price that's being quoted to you? i.e Including the modding charges..
Arcade bundle - 13k
VGA HD cable (3rd party) .6k
Modding charges - 1.2k :mad:
120 GB Hard drive - 2.8k

I went to the shop yesterday and the guy said they are out of stock. New stocks would come in another 3 days time. He hinted that there 'may' be a price drop :clap:

Seems like modding charges in Chennai is cheaper compared to Mumbai. Ethan told me that he haad piad close to 2.5k to get his console modded.

In any case, do keep us posted if the pricing was revised to reflect the 150USD update. :)

Desecrator said:
Seems like modding charges in Chennai is cheaper compared to Mumbai. Ethan told me that he haad piad close to 2.5k to get his console modded.

In any case, do keep us posted if the pricing was revised to reflect the 150USD update. :)
Wtf ? 2.5k ? :O

Isn't it cheaper in Mumbai and Delhi. Ppl say they get it modded for 400 or 500 bucks. I guess it should have been a JTAG mod, unlike the Drive flashing.

I myself do it in 2.5k nd until now with d latest ixtreme lt firmware no one has got banned ofcourse with stealth chked games. No need of live subscription for installing games on hdd but nyways you will have to keep the game disc inserted even if you instal the game.

vinodh89 said:
Wtf ? 2.5k ? :O

Isn't it cheaper in Mumbai and Delhi. Ppl say they get it modded for 400 or 500 bucks. I guess it should have been a JTAG mod, unlike the Drive flashing.

That's the price you pay out of sheer desperation. I could have modded it myself as it was one of the older Lite-On's which didn't need any soldering. However, I was worried about messing up the warranty sticker while opening the console. So I didn't want to risk it. Always make sure your warranty sticker is never harnessed.

Awaiting a price drop soon by next month so to get a Arcade model.The pricing is expected to around 9999/-

dinjo said:
Awaiting a price drop soon by next month so to get a Arcade model.The pricing is expected to around 9999/-
Did you get that quote from a definite source or are you speculating considering the fact that the US Price has come down to 150$ ?

Back