Graphic Cards Molex to pci-ex connector connections

vishal2055

Disciple
He fellas,
Im new to these newer graphics cards which require auxillary power to be connected to them.I have a 8600GT presently.

I want some help in connecting the molex to the pci-ex connector.

Now from what I searched on the net I found that newer cards require additional power and they acheive it by connecting the pci-ex connector from the psu to the card's pci-ex connector.

Incase the psu doesnt come with such a connector, then one can use a molex-to-pci-ex connector which comes bundled.

Here lies my problem.I have 2 power cables coming from my psu each carrying 2 molex connectors.In total there are 4 molex connectors.

Below are 2 scenarios.Somebody please tell me which one should I use ? 1 OR 2 ?

a463qr.jpg

29en3x2.jpg

Also psu rating is .. on the 12V it carries 14A so if I use one molex from each cable will it sum up to 28A ?

depends on the converter you got , the one i used with my old VX450 was a single molex to PCI connecter that came along with my HD5850 ... but i will suggest going for option 1 if you got a converter that needs 2 of these.

Scenario 2 is correct when you have a multi-rail PSU. It really doesnt matter much in a single rail PSU, like what you have. But do use Scenario 2, so that the current is carried by 2 different wires.

PSU rating of 14A is the total power that the PSU can supply, not to each connector.

Back