Monitor Color Calibration

greekgecko

Disciple
Do you guys perform color calibration on your monitors, or use them as they come right out of the box? If you do calibrate, are there any guidelines available for me to follow in calibrating my own monitor?

You need a Spyder and a very good screen for prefect color calibration. Well I just use SRGB mode. It is available in almost all monitors and is god enough. I am currently using SRGB mode in ACER XV272U KV and it has a very good color accuracy out of the box.

Spyders cost a lot, is there anyway i can calibrate without the use of a colorimeter, the sRGB mode in my monitor looks very unnatural.

I got the Gigabyte G24F not long ago and out of the box the calibration was horrible, yellow biased. Tried all the modes and none of them were good enough so I just had to eye it to whatever looked best to me.
If you do decide to do it just by eyeing it, keep in mind it won't be great but you can get it most of the way there. Also choose a brightness level you find comfortable before you start adjusting the parameters as it tends to affect the colour accuracy as well.

some of my whites are yellow on my viewsonic 32inch monitors. its pretty confusing situation like it changes to yellow tint for only few windows in some unknown case. I think default is the best at the moment. will try the @Ani_99 suggested video...

If it's a Windows machine, I use the in-built tool to adjust the monitor settings until they seem more or less correct, with a known good (enough) screen for reference. This is very rough and prone to errors, but if the monitor has good enough sRGB coverage, I can usually get it to a point that I can get used to it and not be constantly distracted by it. Alternatively, you can get calibration profiles from some review sites, like LaptopMedia and NotebookCheck, but take that with a grain of salt - panel variance is a thing and can be quite significant depending on the manufacturer, so the profiles they have may not improve things at all on your end.

Back