Monitors Monitor for console gaming [HDMI required]

hgps

Disciple
I am currently using HP W1707 which supports HDCP but i can't get it working with xbox 360/PS3. I am thinking about upgrading to a Full HD monitor with HDMI port. I'm totally n00b about Aspect ratio and resolution compatibility with consoles. My Primary usage will be gaming so it should be compatible with xbox 360/PS3 output.
I'll buy this monitor next month. [will postpone to jan 2014 in case i can't manage to return home this diwali]
max budget 18k
my current setup:
1. PS3 160GB slim [HDMI]
2. Xbox 360S 250GB [HDMI]
3. AMD phenom II X4, HD6770 PC [VGA, DVI or HDMI]
I play at 720p so performance doesn't matters.

I don't have any idea if bigger size in a monitor really worth spending, as i am using 17" monitors since last 10 years.
I'm considering 3 options:

1. Get a 22" FHD monitor with HDMI port @9k. save the rest of 9k to buy next gen consoles in future.

2. Get a 22-23" FHD 3D monitor. if i can get one within my budget. I mostly play flight simulators and always miss 3D in virtual cockpit.

3. Get bigger 26-27" FHD LCD. bigger screen = better gaming experience ? Does it worth spending twice just for 5 inches more?

please suggest.

would you be fine with a seconds-purchase? if yes, then there are a couple of very good and sparsely-used monitors up for sale in the trade-section.

are you 'bencollins' from tdf?!

^^^ not looking forward for used monitors as shipping costs a bomb and there is a risk of damage during transit.

i'm happy17292 from tdf.

ps: bencollins from tdf owns a HP 1907 [19"], i have a HP 1707 [17"], mine doesn't work with consoles either. maybe due some incompatibility for resolution/refresh rate :(

^^^ not looking forward for used monitors as shipping costs a bomb and there is a risk of damage during transit.

i'm happy17292 from tdf.

ps: bencollins from tdf owns a HP 1907 [19"], i have a HP 1707 [17"], mine doesn't work with consoles either. maybe due some incompatibility for resolution/refresh rate :(

ok. i see.
yes, shipping would be a hazard, and i think the sellers have put the preference for local pick-up.

AOC i think has had a generally good feedback + the 3-yrs onsite warranty would be a gem! let a few other opinions flow in before you take a call.

Decide on which panel you wanna go for. Currently I am using benq gw2750. 27 inch monitor with VA panel. VA panel gives you deeper blacks & better contrasts. Color production would be better in IPS panels but in that range you would get 24 inches. Asus pa238q is a good option although it suffers from bleeding issue. TN panel are said to be best for gaming because of the better response time and minimum input lag. However color reproduction is bad.

i have used only CRT monitors in the past. and my current LCD monitor is a TN panel monitor with huge 8ms response time, but i never noticed anything weird.

I'm inclined towards passive 3D monitors like AOC e2352Phz which is a passive 3D with TN panel 5ms response time. flipkart and newegg shows its discontinued but its still available at infibeam and snapdeal.
if 3D doesn't worth buying, i'll prefer a IPS 22" 2D monitor.

VA/IPS would be highly recommended! also, do you have a 3D TV, or have you experienced passive 3D sufficiently earlier sometime?

VA/IPS would be highly recommended! also, do you have a 3D TV, or have you experienced passive 3D sufficiently earlier sometime?
no, i've never experienced passive 3D before. I can't afford a VA/IPS 3D panel as of now since max budget is 15k. I'm currently using a 8ms TN panel LCD and i'm not bothered about viewing angles.

i asked because the 3D excitement mellows down quite a lot later. you won't bother to play games on 3D after sometime (in many games, esp. in AA-titles, enabling 3D worsens the PQ, and sometimes, frame-rate as well, consoles included). so if you are getting a 3D monitor in your budget, which has a good panel, then get it, like the AOC above, but don't overshoot beyond that for 3D. instead, if you really feel like stretching the budget, then do so solely to get a better-panel monitor.

another thing would be to keep the snapdeal option as your last. its getting a lot of complaints now, hence first check locally or on some other portal, apart from those where its OOS.

i asked because the 3D excitement mellows down quite a lot later. you won't bother to play games on 3D after sometime (in many games, esp. in AA-titles, enabling 3D worsens the PQ, and sometimes, frame-rate as well, consoles included). so if you are getting a 3D monitor in your budget, which has a good panel, then get it, like the AOC above, but don't overshoot beyond that for 3D. instead, if you really feel like stretching the budget, then do so solely to get a better-panel monitor.

another thing would be to keep the snapdeal option as your last. its getting a lot of complaints now, hence first check locally or on some other portal, apart from those where its OOS.
AOC E2352PHZ in the only 3D monitor available in my budget (15k). its a TN panel based monitor. I'm confused if its really worth spending 6k more on a 3D monitor when i can get a 22" FHD for 9-9.5k
and i agree. infibeam is my 1st option. and i recently had a bad experience with snapdeal. so i'd avoid it at all costs.

AOC E2352PHZ in the only 3D monitor available in my budget (15k). its a TN panel based monitor. I'm confused if its really worth spending 6k more on a 3D monitor when i can get a 22" FHD for 9-9.5k
and i agree. infibeam is my 1st option. and i recently had a bad experience with snapdeal. so i'd avoid it at all costs.

ask any 3D user about it then. i know of one such on erodov. but if you think later on you shouldn't feel regret for not buying a 3D one, then dont think much and get it. did you check any other 3D monitors for the same price-range locally too?!

and infibeam packs its monitors really well!

Buddy i would recomed going for IPS panel Led TV insted of monitor.
As i have compared both tv and monitor (ips) for xbox and ps3.
found tv produces a lot better results.Looks a lot better.
Dont know the cause, probably because of the display engines used in them for post processing.
I know graphics card does the same thing but they have added effect.
And due to offers going on panasonic 22in 1080p led ips goes for 12.3k
Just bought it here in bhubaneswar a few days back.
GTA5 rocks on it.

ask any 3D user about it then. i know of one such on erodov. but if you think later on you shouldn't feel regret for not buying a 3D one, then dont think much and get it. did you check any other 3D monitors for the same price-range locally too?!
and infibeam packs its monitors really well!
asked 2 guys about these 3D passive monitors, one of them uses the same AOC monitor i'm planning to buy and the other one uses LG passive 3D 23" monitor. both of them suggested to go for it. I don't think any 3D monitor is available in local shops. but i'll check before buying.
Buddy i would recomed going for IPS panel Led TV insted of monitor.
As i have compared both tv and monitor (ips) for xbox and ps3.
found tv produces a lot better results.Looks a lot better.
Dont know the cause, probably because of the display engines used in them for post processing.
I know graphics card does the same thing but they have added effect.
And due to offers going on panasonic 22in 1080p led ips goes for 12.3k
Just bought it here in bhubaneswar a few days back.
GTA5 rocks on it.
can you post the model name/no. or link please?

hi bro please tell your review of e2352 , i intend to use it with ps3 only

so please tell about its 3d performance in ps3
did you enjoy it / great experience ?
does it also convert 2d to 3d ps3 games ?
did you notice ghosting problems ?

worth it ?
i am waiting for d2369 to launch here as it is ips display , current model d2367 is also good with ips but it does not have vesa mount so i'll wait for that

please share your thoughts on the 3d performance with ps3, which games you tried etc

thanks

Last edited:
hi bro please tell your review of e2352 , i intend to use it with ps3 only
I had posted this review 1+ month ago in other forum, directly pasting the content here.

i'm not an expert so don't expect in depth review.

contents: monitor, stand, 2X 3D glasses , manual, CD, cleaning cloth, HDMI , DVI,VGA, 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable and power cable.

1.Its a TN panel based display but viewing angles are good, lot better than my current 17” TN panel display.

2.Hotkeys are hidden under the bezel and the tiny labels on the bezel are almost impossible to read. I always accidentally press power on/off key instead of 'OSD menu' which is situated next to the power key, Its really annoying when this turns the monitor off during gaming. IMO they should have integrated power key into LED just like my older monitor.

3.Its better to use included i-menu application to adjust display settings instead of using OSD and hotkeys of the monitor.

4. There is a 3.5mm audio out jack to connect external speakers or headphones. Works fine with HDMI, but 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is required for audio in port when used with VGA/DVI.

5. viewing angle in 3D is very limited. only 20 degrees of vertical movement is possible.

It works just like any other 2D monitor in 2D mode so i'll provide my view only on 3D.

its a passive 3D monitor. So while wearing 3D glasses and sitting close to it [~70cms] there are some finely spaced black horizontal lines. Like the ones you get from low resolution monitors.
Maybe its due to nature of passive 3D, as each eye gets only 1280X360 pixels [in case of 720p games] or 1920X540 [in case of 1080p games], this creates jaggies-stairstep like lines in some distant objects/wire fence/radiator grills like objects.
however, included 3D videos are awesome. Didn't watched any 3D movies yet.

games i've played in 3D: rating from 0 to 10 based on how good 3D experience is:

PS3: got detected as a 23" 3D display automatically, so manual config is not required

played Gran turismo 5 in 3D. 3D effect is very good, but its pain in the a** so setup convergence and parallax, even after 15-20 tries with different settings. I still couldn't eliminate crosstalk completely, crosstalk is only visible in black objects in white background, like a car's A-pillar against the sky, or street lights.
rating: 8/10

xbox 360: it got detected as a 23" 3D display automatically, so manual config is not required
couldn't find any 3D games. played on 2D only.

PC: [phenom II X4, HD6770] : installed and updated TriDef3D application that allows 3D games to be played with included 3D profiles [+ a lot of custom profiles available in tridef3d forums]

burnout paradise : aliasing problems, didn't had enough grunt left to enable anti-aliasing as fps dropped considerably after enabling 3D. Its really fun to see broken sign posts/poles flying out of the screen.
Rating: 8.5/10

GTA san andreas : Its pretty old game and lacks detailed graphics. Excellent 3D effect in terms of depth and feel. Lights from headlamps and street light or any other source appear at slightly wrong depth.
rating: 9/10

Flight simulator X : virtual cockpit is not as good as i had expected and there's huge amount of cross talk in runway lights [during night time flying]
rating: 6/10

Tomb raider 2013 : Good 3D effect, didn't played much as my gpu couldn't handle it in 3D [20-24fps]. Enabling tressFX causes lara's hair to appear at slightly wrong depth [maybe its due to low fps, can't say as i played it only for 50-60 seconds]
rating: 9/10

Farcry 3: good 3D effect, but there's little bit of cross talk. Aiming a gun using right click is impossible in 3D due to a bug in camera placement [POV] that blocks gun's iron sights.
Rating: 8/10

COD Modern warfare 2: Everything is perfect, almost zero crosstalk. One of the best 3D games i played using tridef3d.
Rating: 9.5/10

battlefield 3: same as above
Rating 9.5/10

Brothers in arms: hell's highway: same as above, target marker and attention/health marker over enemy soldiers appear at screen depth.
Rating: 9/10

Assassins creed brotherhood: almost perfect, except some aliasing problems, GPU was already on its knees [22-25fps] so didn't tried anti aliasing.
Rating: 8.5/10

Need for speed Most wanted 2012 : Lot better than Burnout paradise, More destruction in 3D. No aliasing problems, excellent 3D effect, no crosstalk. But low fps even on lowest visuals and 720p.
Rating: 9.5/10

LA noire : low fps problems even with low graphics and 720p, aliasing problems, 3D effect seems good but played it only for 50-60 seconds so wouldn't comment on crosstalk or 3D depth in cutscenes.
Rating: N/A [7/10 as first impression]

Sleeping dogs: not recommended. out of focus, graphics glitches and wrong depth.
Rating: 3/10

as above ratings show, 3D effect depends on games, some games offer jaw dropping 3D effect like, BF3, COD MW2, BiA: HH, NFS MW, GT5 etc. while others suck, eg: sleeping dogs.

Passive 3D has problems with those finely spaced black horizontal lines [low resolution] while active 3D has flicker + eye strain problems. So IMO 3D doesn't worth it. instead of 3D, buying a bigger 2D display makes more sense. There are some excellent 3D games and movies. But quantity of good quality and trouble free 3D games is very low. 3D gaming also requires more GPU power and viewer must tolerate low resolution [passive] or flicker [active] in 3D displays.

so please tell about its 3d performance in ps3
I've only played Gran turismo 5 in 3D. I don't have any other PS3 3D game to test its performance. Already posted 3D performance in GT5. check my review posted above.

did you enjoy it / great experience ?
In some games, playing in 3D is a great experience, while in others, it isn't.

does it also convert 2d to 3d ps3 games ?
No

did you notice ghosting problems ?
not ghosting, but some crosstalking is visible sometimes. for eg: a white glowing light in black background [dark environment] or Car's black coloured A piller against white background [sky]

worth it ?
I still don't know. I had spent 1+ month thinking about the same question before buying it. Some times it feels like i should have bought a regular 22" 2D and saved the rest amount instead. But some 3D movies and games look really great in 3D. I still don't know the answer.

awesome review bro.. very detailed and enjoyable

thanks a lot

in gt5 crosstalk cannot be completly eliminated as per the reviews its game problem..

looks like you were short on ps3 games..
if you get time in future do test out these they are great in 3d on ps3

uncharted 3
crysis 2 and 3
gow origins ghost of sparta
motostorm 3d
batman akrAham city
ac revelations

just 1 last question any specific reason you choose e2352 over d2367 ? as d2367 is IPs and they both cost same price.. and IPs is far better than tn display

I think its still great and vfm to buy aoc 3d as a normal IPs comes at 12k and this 3d IPs aoc at 13k ..

even a 22 inch costs 9k

1-2k is worth investing for 3d even though it works in only selected games

Last edited:
awesome review bro.. very detailed and enjoyable
if you get time in future do test out these they are great in 3d on ps3

uncharted 3
crysis 2 and 3
gow origins ghost of sparta
motostorm 3d
batman akrAham city
ac revelations
I rarely play games on ps3. ATM i'm playing gta5 and gran turismo 6. both of them lack 3D support. I'll download buy UC3 and some other games u mentioned after jan 2014.
just 1 last question any specific reason you choose e2352 over d2367 ? as d2367 is IPs and they both cost same price.. and IPs is far better than tn display
The only reason is : I didn't knew anything about this D2367 model. No one suggested it either. It wasn't listed in flipkart/snapdeal/infibeam at that time. AOC E2352phz was the only 3D monitor available under 15k. so i bought it from snapdeal.

I think its still great and vfm to buy aoc 3d as a normal IPs comes at 12k and this 3d IPs aoc at 13k ..

even a 22 inch costs 9k

1-2k is worth investing for 3d even though it works in only selected games
Dell S2240L IPS 2D was selling @ 9.4k and AOC e2352phz TN 3D @ 13.8k
~4.5k difference is huge amount for me :p But still i selected 3D since one of my friends suggested me to go for it [he uses lg d2342p 3d monitor]
Still, i'm happy with my monitor. The only regret is, if i had waited for 1 more week before ordering. I'd have bought it for 12.8k. [bought it for 13.8k]

Back