Budget 0-20k Monitor for work, movies and single player games.

greenhorn

Patron
I'm looking for a monitor for the following uses My work is mostly PowerPoint/graphic design, plus the occasional word or Excel. This will be the main use. Need is reduced eye strain, colour accuracy, and sharpness of text

My gaming setup is puny, based around a ryzen 3 and Vega 3 onboard (though I may get a used GTX 1080 soon), and play only single player, with the occasional CS:GO or older games, so 1080p is more than enough. I've read that freesync premium greatly reduces the choppiness of lower framerates, so I'm keenly interested in trying that out. I don't need ms response time. I prefer ips monitors to va in general, and am ok with the tradeoffs in response times. I've read nowadays high framerates are good. I have a 120 hz poco phone and can't honestly tell the difference between 120/90/60 hz. On the other hand, I did used to have a CRT monitor where 60hz vs 85 hz vs 100hz was significantly better on my eyes. I'm not sure how things are with LCD monitors, and local shops don't have display pieces so would appreciate inputs here

Movie wise not keen on 4k. 1080p is fine, would rather spend on good colours and contrast. I'm intrigued by hdr logos, but have read that in the 15-20k range, all monitors are hdr ready than HDR capable - which means they're just regular 8 bit displays with no local dining which will accept a HDR signal but show it using this ordinary panel and some processing.

Size I'm using 22 inch now, wouldn't mind an upgrade. 32 is too big. Probably 24-27 should be fine, again not sure if 1920*1080 would have suffering sharpness on a 27 inch display.
Looking for something that looks nice, has at least one display port input and preferably 3.5 mm out, though I don't want speakers.
Will a non g sync monitor still work with an nvidia card? Or do I need gsync certified?

Is freesync premium worth it if your current setup tends to do 30-40 fps with modern games?
What resolution and size should I get to achieve similar sharpness as a 14 inch laptop with 1920*1080 pc in a 15-18k budget?

Am currently using LG 27Qn600. Its not exactly best at one thing. But serves well between movies-work-gaming.

The colors are nice, 2k videos pop out nicely. Color calibrated and does well for beginner content creator.

Text and PowerPoint, its ok-ish due to brightness. Dial it down to enable reader mode, you can use it as a work monitor too.

Games, has free-sync. Mine is paired with RX570. Most games run smooth. However, some games show screen tearing occasionally.

Went with Odyssey g4 25 inch. Got it for 18.4k after Flipkart offer. Had 400 nits, freesync premium and hdr10
Acer XV272U was over budget, rest didn't have freesync premium.

I'm looking for a monitor for the following uses My work is mostly PowerPoint/graphic design, plus the occasional word or Excel. This will be the main use. Need is reduced eye strain, colour accuracy, and sharpness of text

My gaming setup is puny, based around a ryzen 3 and Vega 3 onboard (though I may get a used GTX 1080 soon), and play only single player, with the occasional CS:GO or older games, so 1080p is more than enough. I've read that freesync premium greatly reduces the choppiness of lower framerates, so I'm keenly interested in trying that out. I don't need ms response time. I prefer ips monitors to va in general, and am ok with the tradeoffs in response times. I've read nowadays high framerates are good. I have a 120 hz poco phone and can't honestly tell the difference between 120/90/60 hz. On the other hand, I did used to have a CRT monitor where 60hz vs 85 hz vs 100hz was significantly better on my eyes. I'm not sure how things are with LCD monitors, and local shops don't have display pieces so would appreciate inputs here

Movie wise not keen on 4k. 1080p is fine, would rather spend on good colours and contrast. I'm intrigued by hdr logos, but have read that in the 15-20k range, all monitors are hdr ready than HDR capable - which means they're just regular 8 bit displays with no local dining which will accept a HDR signal but show it using this ordinary panel and some processing.

Size I'm using 22 inch now, wouldn't mind an upgrade. 32 is too big. Probably 24-27 should be fine, again not sure if 1920*1080 would have suffering sharpness on a 27 inch display.
Looking for something that looks nice, has at least one display port input and preferably 3.5 mm out, though I don't want speakers.
Will a non g sync monitor still work with an nvidia card? Or do I need gsync certified?

Is freesync premium worth it if your current setup tends to do 30-40 fps with modern games?
What resolution and size should I get to achieve similar sharpness as a 14 inch laptop with 1920*1080 pc in a 15-18k budget?
If you wish to settle for 1080p then going beyond a 24" monitor will be crappy - with your current hardware.

I got the monitor, and it's definitely too large - I think i was better off with a 22 inch. But I cant see any 22 inchers with all these features :(
so guess I'll have to get used to this. Colors are very ordinary, but I still have to play around with settings

I got the monitor, and it's definitely too large - I think i was better off with a 22 inch. But I cant see any 22 inchers with all these features :(
so guess I'll have to get used to this. Colors are very ordinary, but I still have to play around with settings
Which one?

I use my 27" monitor at 50-60cm away. People use 42" TVs as monitor as well, but I will say anything above 27" is too big for normal-sized tables.

Back