Most overrated rock/ metal band in your opinion.

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
I will start off with my list ( I like these bands and most of their work, but simply feel they are overrated...strictly personal)
It's a sensitive topic, please don't attack me or one another personally and keep it a fun discussion.
1. The greatest of them all...mighty Beatles.
My parents were fans, my first memory of music is Beatles...I like most part of their massive catalog, when I started playing keyboards only learned Beatles' songs. But the joy didn't last long ( that's my biggest gripe...I couldn't enjoy Beatles for more than few months)
When I got my dad's guitar and discovered Sabbath, it was a different story...even today...I'm primarily a bass player...but if I get hold of a new guitar...I play War Pigs ( even after 25 years...it just doesn't get old)
2. It's a very common band in this overrated list...Nirvana...I'm an old person and followed Nirvana very closely..Kurt's songwriting capabilities were insane given the technical limitations in all of them. What I don't like is the notion of Kurt's inability to cope with stardom. If you are of my age and followed the grunge scene closely it was very easy to find Kurt's attention seeking behavior and blaming stardom for his downward spiral ( typical addictive personality...as a former addict and now a sponsor of MANY, I do understand this kind of conflicting behavior all to well)
And to be honest Neverend is their worst album. Bands like Soundgarden or PJ were much better live in their worst days over best Nirvana concerts.
Rant over....many more coming

To each their own, taste in music is subjective and one man's trash is another man's treasure.
There will always be other people who'll find your favorite artists to be absolutely insufferable and vice versa, if you think those bands are overrated you should take a glance at the mainstream American music scene where artists like Li'l Pump, Billie Eilish, Drake, Li'l Wayne, Post Malone, Nicki Minaj, etc draw in crowds by the thousands to listen to their garbage (again personal opinion).

You can apply that to any genre in any country, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is to not be an elitist and let people have their fun. Yes, popular music has objectively gotten worse but then that's old people talk and it has and will happen in every generation. You don't like the Beatles, your kids won't necessarily like the tunes that you like.

No no!! I like Beatles...but like The Kinks better.
Sorry, I practically know nothing about any other genres beside rock/ metal.
But there are metal/ rock bands who are truly timeless. I sincerely believe metalheads ( specially who actually took the pain to learn some instruments) will never forget Sabbath ( they may very well forget Slipknot in 10 years) or even Hendrix.
If you want to learn guitar, you just can't ignore someone like Iommi ( as you can come up with thousands of variations from the first 4 Sabbath album) or even Dimebag.
Tell me honestly how much does George Harrison inspire you to play a guitar compared to Iommi or Dimebag ( if you're younger than me)?
Please don't get me wrong, Harrison was great, but how can he remain an inspiration for a long time? And how many lead lines can you come up with from his leads?
Now look at Iommi, almost EVERYTHING in metal comes from his 10-15 riffs.
I will go slightly technical here, please don't get mad..
Electric Funeral (Paranoid), just a root-5-b5-4-b3 pattern, basically a descending E blues scale minus its b7 but MIXED WITH Iommi’s sinister vibrato. Out of nowhere, he plays the first beat as four palm-muted sixteenth-notes and THEN change the rhythm on beat four to a sixteenth FOLLOWED by a dotted-eighth pairing. Iommi can perfectly sound super scary even without the b5.
But that's not all...he can go super mellow ( Spiral Architect is a very fine example)
Just name one guitarist who did similar things...I can go on and on...but it will be very boring.
As primarily a bass player I do understand it would have been impossible without Geezer Butler ( possibly the only bass player who NEVER EVER got lazy and just jammed with the drummer..any bass player here will understand what I'm talking about)
Beatles were great, but their music doesn't inspire me to experiment...never really did.
Same with Floyd, love them but King Crimson will always be MUCH AHEAD for me..even with their "weaker" records.
BTW I love Post Malone and Billie Eilish. Please don't write their names in the same sentence with Minaj, Lil Pump, Wayne,Drake etc.

BTW I love Post Malone and Billie Eilish. Please don't write their names in the same sentence with Minaj, Lil Pump, Wayne,Drake etc.

That's the point I was trying to make, taste in music is highly subjective, I find both of them to be trash but I'm glad you enjoy them.
It's the same when it comes to electronic music, there are artists that have million dollar studios with tons of modular synths making low tier garbage which pales in comparison to ones made by bedroom producers in FL with two VST plug-ins, they probably don't even make a fraction of the money but aren't creatively bankrupt.

Just name one guitarist who did similar things...I can go on and on...but it will be very boring.
I am just starting out, with an acoustic and a guitar, but Mark Knopfler and Lindsey Buckingham never stopped experimenting though they play acoustic/electric only. My knowledge in case of bass players is less than nothing though.

Honestly the only reason why people say modern music is just terrible compared to the yesteryears is partly due to the fact that it hasn't went through the so called "filter" yet. It's not like there weren't terrible artists or songs way back in the 70s/80s/90s who were considered horrible at their time. And surprise surprise, no one remembers them either, Only the hits survive. Same can be said even today as early as the late 2000s to early 2010s, give music a good decade on a song and people will start reminiscing about it. I realised this when there was this weekly show on 94.3 radio one where they would play an archive of a popular radio show of america's top 40 songs of the week which were like from the 80s i think (goes like an episode), and wow, you hardly recognise any song until he reaches like top 10 or 5.

Last edited:
And that's perfectly fine!! Just need some point of views from others ..I know I'm wrong with my list of overrated band...they are HUUUUGE....beyond my comprehension.
I even find U2 extremely boring and overrated specially Bono's vocals and most lyrics.
Some hate RHCP...I just love em...

Metallica! yes, this may come as a surprise to many. I would listen to them back in the early '90s thinking they were awesome. Listening to them now makes me skip to the next track. A lot of their songs have a great start with nice riffs and withers out. The only song I enjoy listening to is 'One'.

And that's perfectly fine!! Just need some point of views from others ..I know I'm wrong with my list of overrated band...they are HUUUUGE....beyond my comprehension.
I even find U2 extremely boring and overrated specially Bono's vocals and most lyrics.
Some hate RHCP...I just love em...
RHCP with John Frusciante was really good.

I don't know, but I really never got a fondness for Metallica. Maybe due to my taste for music. They were too loud and I never really warmed up to the vocals of Hetfield. Just the voice. It was too raspy and not mature enough--for some reason. Also for me the 'axe' [read lead guitar] is important. Comparing Judas Priest's twin lead attack to Hammett's style, the former totally blows the latter out of the water. Have always been a lover of bands oriented highly (or driven) towards the guitar. Scorpions, Def Leppard, Eagles, and Dire Straits to name a few. :)

No one hates KISS! ?

To each their own, taste in music is subjective and one man's trash is another man's treasure.
There will always be other people who'll find your favorite artists to be absolutely insufferable and vice versa, if you think those bands are overrated you should take a glance at the mainstream American music scene where artists like Li'l Pump, Billie Eilish, Drake, Li'l Wayne, Post Malone, Nicki Minaj, etc draw in crowds by the thousands to listen to their garbage (again personal opinion).

You can apply that to any genre in any country, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is to not be an elitist and let people have their fun. Yes, popular music has objectively gotten worse but then that's old people talk and it has and will happen in every generation. You don't like the Beatles, your kids won't necessarily like the tunes that you like.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! This.
So you guys don't think there isn't a single overrated rock band?
To judge that I think I will have to listen to a lot of them. I don't think I have done that and don't plan to do that :)

No, no surprise there. You beat me to it...was about to write about Metallica...yes very overrated IMHO. But one thing about Metallica we can't deny..their seemingly endless passion.
They have EVERYTHING plus a lot more in life, yet they play together ( even Lars, who admitted that he stopped practice completely, James who at this age completed another rehab..it's just remarkable, I work with addicts/ alcoholics and was a former addict myself...it's truly something amazing..he's 57...he has earned the right to stay drunk 24*7 for the rest of his life, yet he didn't give up and got back his sobriety)
Yes, Metallica is overrated...but I respect them...everyone in that band...including amazing Rob. We often forget how good a rhythm guitar player he is, Kirk often screws up live, but James still plays like a machine most of the time ( and it's incredibly difficult to play rhythm sections of some Metallica classics, he not only plays, but sings also with VERY FEW backing vocals, Jason could sing very very well, but Rob doesn't, so he's practically alone with all vocal duties)
YouTube has thousands of Lars lazy drumming videos, yes he has lost it...but that man still has passion, in fact in 2019 he regained some of his old form. Overrated but still amazing and lot more interesting personalities compared to Lennon and his gang.
I don't know, but I really never got a fondness for Metallica. Maybe due to my taste for music. They were too loud and I never really warmed up to the vocals of Hetfield. Just the voice. It was too raspy and not mature enough--for some reason. Also for me the 'axe' [read lead guitar] is important. Comparing Judas Priest's twin lead attack to Hammett's style, the former totally blows the latter out of the water. Have always been a lover of bands oriented highly (or driven) towards the guitar. Scorpions, Def Leppard, Eagles, and Dire Straits to name a few. :)

No one hates KISS! ?
How can you compare twin lead to Kirk? Downing and Tipton were fabulous, but their style was completely different.
Don't understand why people attack Kirk for using wah wah pedal in almost everything, even Hendrix did it excessively in his music.
Name any thrash band ( except Megadeth) with guitar solos even comparable to metallica's first 4 albums. Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth were 3 main bands trading blows with Metallica back then. Can you remember a single solo from Slayer ( all of them are chaotic and Kerry messed them up completely live..how much can Jeff do alone...no disrespect to KK...he's a monster rhythm player) Anthrax was even worse in this regard. Thrash is not about solos or melody.
Compare Priest solos with Maiden ones..who wins? Both are great great bands..
RHCP with John Frusciante was really good.
Musically yes, but I am addicted to Freaky Styley and Uplifit mofo...Hillel Slovak was not bad at all ( after all he taught Flea to play bass)

Last edited:
I was there, despite Lars' trackpants enjoyed immensely...overrated sure, but GREAT entertainers...half the kids @ Praha were wearing similar trackpants the next day...now that's grandpa's influence...can any band beat this kind of attention today...look at James ( he's struggling...not alcohol..but benzos for the anxiety...know these things disturbingly well...hats off to the bravest!!
Did any of you notice how strange James look in this video? He is playing and singing just like a machine ( it takes IMMENSE amount of practice) and just waiting out for the next vodka shot ( this old Metallica don't drink on stage)
It is such a shitty feeling...

Last edited:
Back