Motherboard advice needed

LaatSahab

Skilled
Jul 18, 2008
Product: Motherboard
Budget: 10K max.
Intended usage: Download rig, HD playback, general web surfing and document editing and creation.
Stipulations:
  • Must be of either mini ITX or Micro ATX form factor
  • Must be having onboard video solution capable of 1080P playback
Platform can be either one AMD or Intel. All I need is a machine which can act as both HTPC and Download rig and can sit comfortably inside this
I know latest i series processor have some sort of IGP but I dunno much about them. Would appreciate it if somebody debriefs me about that too and gimme some options in that field too.

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
Get the Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3 ~ 5.8k. Gigabyte service is the best among mobo manufacturers in India.(from what i can comprehend from the forums)

LaatSahab

Skilled
Jul 18, 2008
Is it micro ATX? Does it allows unlocking cores on BE edition processors? How its performance when it comes pixel munching?

What is a suitable processor to go along with it?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
Ryunosuke said:
Is it micro ATX? Does it allows unlocking cores on BE edition processors? How its performance when it comes pixel munching?
What is a suitable processor to go along with it?

Yes its a m-ATX. It allows unlocking. There has been successful unlocks of the 555BE with this mobo in TE. Check the CPU/MOBO Corner for the successful unlocks and which bios version to use.
The IGP is pretty decent. HD4200 is pretty good and capable of playing HD movies and few old games.

JayMathers

Diablo's Rapier
Disciple
Aug 4, 2008
Ghaziabad, India
techshoot.in
Any 785G Chipset Based Motherboard would do the trick for you, they are really good at on-board video solution. If you need the unlocking feature then go in for ASUS as the new bread comes equiped with hard switch for instant unlocking, however you'll need to check the feasibility of the unlock, as a successful/stable unlock depends more on the processors stepping number then the motherboard. Plus a lot of times you'll need to tweak voltages manually in the BIOS, which again is a headache.

So go in for Pure Dual-Core/Tripple-Core/QUad-Core architecture and if looking for a budget solution then 785G should do the trick for you. Or else you can always choose an i3 530/i5 661 + H55/H57 with better overclock headroom then the AMDs.

Apr 28, 2009
Brampton
JayMathers said:
Any 785G Chipset Based Motherboard would do the trick for you, they are really good at on-board video solution. If you need the unlocking feature then go in for ASUS as the new bread comes equiped with hard switch for instant unlocking, however you'll need to check the feasibility of the unlock, as a successful/stable unlock depends more on the processors stepping number then the motherboard. Plus a lot of times you'll need to tweak voltages manually in the BIOS, which again is a headache.

So go in for Pure Dual-Core/Tripple-Core/QUad-Core architecture and if looking for a budget solution then 785G should do the trick for you. Or else you can always choose an i3 530/i5 661 + H55/H57 with better overclock headroom then the AMDs.
Any mobo good for unlocking Phenom 555 BE (full ATX, DDRII) around 5k?