CPU/Mobo Motherboard installation problems

bluEzz

Disciple
I'm in BIG trouble..
I got the new motherboard and processor today:
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium D 915 2.8GHz LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - ASRock 775Dual-VSTA ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

To begin with, the installation manual for the motherboard is HORRENDOUS !!

I installed everything into a new case with the new power supply. I connected the connectors for the power button and the reset buttons and both the LED connectors.

Now as soon as I connect the power cable into the PSU, the computer turns itself 'ON' and the power and the reset buttons don't seem to be working.
Now here.. by computer turns 'ON' I mean that the PSU fan starts spinning, the processor fan starts spinning and the graphic card fan starts spinning. However I do not see anything on the screen and neither do I hear any BEEPs from the motherboard.

I am really worried as to what can be wrong. Did I connect the power and reset connectors wrong ? Is the motherboard DOA ??

The manual does'nt give clear instructions anyway.
The power connector has one YELLOW and one WHITE. I am presuming the WHITE is ground. I tried switching the power connector by 180degrees as well but that doesnt help either.
Seems like the motherboard is not powering up or something ? but the fans start spinning as soon as I connect the power cable to PSU !

PLEASE HELP !! :huh: :huh:

thanks in advance..

Here is a link to the motherboard manual in case needed:
http://www.asrock.com/manual/775Dual-VSTA.pdf

I have attached a picture from my motherboard manual..

Here the my power button connector has one YELLOW and one WHITE..

which one goes where ??

shrey you picture is very close to my motherboard picture as well but I'm confused about which wire goes where.. :huh:

Also.. I've made another discovery.. if i dont connect any of the connectors from the case to the motherboard (PLED, HLED etc.) the computer still turns on as soon as plug the power cable in the PSU. Seems unusual to me.. not sure how to interpret it..

Attachments

• mob1.jpg
    mob1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 89
truth is u dont need the wires to start ur computer, u can do it with any metallic rod or article (even a key) all you need to do is touch the power start pin with the article and it will start. Im pretty sure all your stuff is fine, just reconnect everything one by one.(its happened to me bfore)

Wrt the yellow and the white... that wire is connected horizontally with respect to the pins and the yellow goes on the extreme end, with the white on the inside, this i remember from the earlier asrock board i had...so im assuming

read through this might help :)

Installing a Motherboard - Easily and Safely Installing a Motherboard: Step 5: Front Panel Connectors

And that picture ws from the manual :p zoomed in on the motherboard pic....:p thought u didnt look through it properly...

Dang .. Eddy u there ? :D ?

The power switch is what is called a MOMENTARY switch which does not have any clicks - it just shorts the wire momentary during depression of the power button and this sends a signal to the computer to power on/off. No polarity on these switches - can be placed either way. Same with the reset switch.

About your problem with the computer powering on - I would suggest you check if there is a short from below the computer - most likely by a metal stud below the mother board which is in the wrong place and is shorting some contacts - or it can be a bad power or reset switch which you can find out by pulling off the wires for these switches from the mother board and then putting in the power plug. Suggest remove mother board from case keep outside on non-conductive surface and power it on and check if problem still persists.

I dont know if you are aware that the mother board has current going thru it as long as the power switch on the wall socket is switched on - even if the computer does not show activity you should check if there is an LED on the mother board which is lit up. Do not connect or disconnect any cable or device if this LED is lit !! Some mother board even have this LED lit if the wall socket has a single pole switch - you need a dual pole switch which disconnects both the negative and positve wires for the computer to be fully off. If the power supply has a switch at the back then this should be a dual pole switch - use this before doing any work inside the computer case.

bluEzz said:
The power connector has one YELLOW and one WHITE. I am presuming the WHITE is ground. I tried switching the power connector by 180degrees as well but that doesnt help either.

With the front-panel power connector wire.. you dont really need to bother about polarity ! All it is, is a 'switch' - it just connects the terminals briefly signalling the motherboard to turn on the PSU and thats it.

In this case, it looks like either your PSU or motherboard is busted if its powering up irrespective of whether you've plugged in the connectors.

Which PSU? How many pins does the ATX connector have? And did you plug it in right?

Edit: Ahh Eazy beat me to it :D

With the front-panel power connector wire.. you dont really need to bother about polarity ! All it is, is a 'switch' - it just connects the terminals briefly signalling the motherboard to turn on the PSU and thats it.

yes...and thats how u can start it with even a key like i said before ... anyways eddy and eazy have spoken :p :eek:hyeah:

hey man me too faced the same problem with my intel D102 came to know that motherboard was no more... so got it replaced as it was under warrenty

It does turned out that the motherboard was bad..

wasn't shorting at all..

made sure by running the computer on a cardboard box !

returned it to newegg.. getting full refund..

need some time to recover from the trauma..

lol

thanks a lot for all the help everyone.. :hap2:

ps: the PSU was good.. had tried it on 2 different computers..

the only thing was that it was 350watt.. but thats unrelated to the problem..

getting a new 500 watt PSU anyway now..

Back