User Review Moto E - The new definition of VFM

Hello folks,

This is my second review - first written 4 years back. Device going under scanner of review is Moto E from Motorala - a Google company. I ordered this one from Flipkart, for my mom, to replace Samsung Galax Ace. As almost everybody knows it, it costed me ₹ 6,999/-

To begin with, following are key specs for reference:

CPU: Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 200)
Memory: 1GB RAM
Internal Memory: 4GB with microSD card slot
OS: Android KitKat 4.4.2 with one more update guaranteed
Camera: 5MP (2592*1944 pixels)
Display: Capacitive LCD 4.3” screen with resolution of 540*960 (256 ppi)

Unboxing:
Moto E comes in a very compact box, with box just big enough to hold the phone.

CjPmHQ0.jpg

On opening up you will be graced with the phone in front with a screen protector cover with Motorola logo. At first sight this does not look like a phone costing ₹ 7,000. It definitely is gorgeous.

SCzQ0rF.jpg

Beneath phone, box contains a charger and a headset - USB cable is not present in the package but at tight budget offering it can be excused.

h1LTQSM.jpg

From various angles:

Front of the phone is absolutely stunning. It has quite big bezel at bottom - feel space is wasted. At the back we have a 5MP snapper and Motorola ‘M’ logo. The camera is bit deeper than the rest of back which protects it from scratches. The overall texture at back is good and kind off matte in nature which provides good grip.

i2l5Wns.jpg
a54FBtz.jpg

Sides

Left side of the phone does not have anything.

vsZTRwE.jpg

Right side features power button and volume up-down keys. The keys are bit hard to press at first. Hopefully one should be able to get used to it after using it for some time.

xy5OFmc.jpg

Top of the phone has a 3.5mm jack and mic.

AbHDRgW.jpg

MicroUSB port is located at the bottom of the phone.

h8Kk6fO.jpg

On removing the back cover, I could see a non-removable battery, two SIM slots and microSD card slot. Non-remove-ability of battery is done by a plastic sheet spanning from top to bottom of battery.

TRgjeXl.jpg
mTcsfgy.jpg

Over all the build quality of the phone is very good and phone feels sturdy. Though it is weighing 140gm and 12.3mm thick it is nice to hold in hands and fits in palm perfectly thanks to curved shape.

Starting up:

On powering it on we are presented with a boot-animation. After the boot animation is over next is welcome screen greeting us.

zjDQIEk.jpg

After usual rituals of setting up phone, we are now at main screen. The display looks sharp and colors are good. The general stock moving around did not display any noticeable shutter or lag though the CPU powering the device is no big-shot-fancy-stuff. Also opening time for apps is good and satisfactory. The phone comes pre-installed with many Google apps including Chrome browser, presenting and ensuring a complete Google experience. Internal storage space is 4GB however only 2.16GB is available for user.

CDw8Ivg.png
SqvTx43.png
tLXHNQf.png
1slXoL0.png

General Operations and Android 4.4.2 UI

The phone has near stock version of Android 4.4.2 There are no bloatwares included which could slow down the phone. There are some nifty apps already included such as Motoroal Migrate which facilitates migration. There is also app named Assist. Notification area is usual one for Android KitKat.

ukOcfzp.png
av2K1VP.png

Running Benchmarks:

For bench-marking this phone I have used popular apps;

Benchmark Pi
This is good old school benchmark app which generally measures per core performance of the device under test. Moto E managed to score 462 milliseconds.

DKHQ7q7.png

Next benchmark used is Linpack for measuring multi-threaded performance. Moto E scored a handsome 145.65 MFLOPS.

PV43t3t.png

For overall bench-marking I have used AnTuTu Benchmark. Apart from benchmarks AnTuTu app reveals good amount of information of device.

iH1Bfm2.png
wRyg8lg.png
zyIvBzI.png
O65VeHQ.png

All the specs, from CPU to Display to OS, are well verified in the information provided by AnTuTu.

On running the benchmark, AnTuTu gave score of 12,800 which according to it is ‘Good’. Digging in to details of the benchmark, AnTuTu terms CPU as ‘Poor’ stating that can not run large apps smoothly. RAM and 2D graphics were termed ‘General’. However 3D graphics were termed as‘Good’ stating ‘fluently supports most games’.

afGA8w6.png
kpDv7tJ.png

Multimedia - Camera, Radio, Music, Video playback and Gaming:

Camera
The snapper we have with this device is 5MP one. Camera UI is in following pic.

qJ3KG6F.png

Though it is touted as being a average one, for device at this range we can not ask for more. Camera is snappy and takes photos quite quickly. Image quality is not ultimate but does not suck completely too. Sharpness in pic is not that great.

7EqSSLGl.jpg

GpXvEzfl.jpg

However in low light or non-natural light photography, snapper is not able to stretch to limits at par. Below image confirms same with colors looking washed out and bit dull.

aFi8NvRl.jpg

Link to full resolution images: https://imgur.com/a/NBMZ9

Radio
Keeping in mind that phone is more targeted at emerging markets, Motorola have included FM Radio in this device. As normal tradition, one need to keep headphones plugged in order to use FM Radio.

aB1Rap4.png

Music

Next is check on Audio quality of the phone. I paired the phone with my V-Sonic GR02 BE and played couple of hindi songs from Bollywood and ‘Dance of death’ by Iron Maiden. Audio quality is good according to my noob level of audiophile-ness. At volume level just above half mark, isolation is quite good.

UkWMVuo.png
jTXCskv.png

Video Playback

For testing out video playback I used MX Player. For video my choice boiled down to 1080p (1920*800) rip of Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Playback is very smooth with seeking backward and forward, playback would not shutter for encoding. It would resume instantly.

Video 1.png

Video 2.png

Video 3.png

Gaming

To test gaming capabilities of the phone I have used four games viz Subway Surfer, Drag Racing, Dead Trigger 2 and Asphalt 8. Overall games are running smooth except Asphalt 8 (in high settings) which seems bit sort of slow/lagging. However it is sill very much playable with performance improving in medium visual settings. I have attached videos of game-play next. I have captured videos with Lumia 720 with help of my brother. Kindly excuse me for quality as it is not utter professional.

Subway Surfer

Drag Racing

Dead Trigger 2

Asphalt 8

Connectivity:

As most smartphones, Moto E also is equipped with various connection options. It has WLAN 802.11 upto n. It boasts HSDPA up to 21mbps along with slower GPRS & EDGE. Moto E has Bluetooth 4.0 LE, with LE now being core specification in Bluetooth 4.0. LE consumes lesser power and uses simpler modulation.

Call quality and reception is good on this phone. Loud speaker of the phone is pretty loud. GPS on the device is ultra fast. I got sync and my accurate location within couple of seconds, impressed.

Battery life

I could not use phone for full day to test battery life but for whatever time I could use the phone, my observation is that during non-operative mode battery drop is minimal. However as usual when device is in use, there is battery drop.

For approx 1 day and 14 hours' usage, battery drop was approx 65%. Screen ON time was around 2 hours with 30 mins of WhatsApp and another 30 mins game - Dot Saga.

sGM3eGL.png
VaV6yqI.png

Summary

Coming to final leg of review, I would like to list some pros and cons.

Cons (first :p):
- Power and Volume button are little hard to press
- Phone is bit thicker than usual
- relatively higher SAR value

Pros:
- smooth and lag-less performance
- easily handles 1080p videos with no lag in seeking
- one more OS update guaranteed

At price point of ₹ 6,999, Moto E defines new definition of VFM among Android phones. For me, it also have comfortably clinched the crown of most VFM smartphone from Lumia 520. It is a definitely a recommendation from my end.

Wrapping up this review, I would like to thank for reading this patiently. Any suggestions/comments/doubts are most welcome. Do let me know if you want to test me something on this. I will definitely carry that out if time permits me.

Attachments

• Unboxing 1.jpg
    Unboxing 1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 921
  • Unboxing 2.jpg
    Unboxing 2.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 920
  • Unboxing 3.jpg
    Unboxing 3.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 911
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 906
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 889
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 875
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 852
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 841
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 871
  • Unboxing 4.jpg
    Unboxing 4.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 860
  • Home.png
    Home.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 860
  • Lockscreen.png
    Lockscreen.png
    544.4 KB · Views: 882
  • Notifications.png
    Notifications.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 794
  • About.png
    About.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 849
  • G - Apps.png
    G - Apps.png
    547.5 KB · Views: 856
  • Storage.png
    Storage.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 806
  • Benchmark Pi.png
    Benchmark Pi.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 873
  • Linpack.png
    Linpack.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 842
  • AnTuTu 1.png
    AnTuTu 1.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 857
  • AnTuTu 2.png
    AnTuTu 2.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 811
  • AnTuTu Info 1.png
    AnTuTu Info 1.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 828
  • AnTuTU Info 2.png
    AnTuTU Info 2.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 854
  • AnTuTu Info 3.png
    AnTuTu Info 3.png
    84 KB · Views: 838
  • AnTuTu Info 4.png
    AnTuTu Info 4.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 877
  • Music 1.png
    Music 1.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 852
  • Music 2.png
    Music 2.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 824
  • Radio.png
    Radio.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 809
  • WP_20140608_21_03_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140608_21_03_44_Pro.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 844
  • WP_20140608_21_04_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140608_21_04_01_Pro.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 844
  • Camera UI.png
    Camera UI.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Battery 1.png
    Battery 1.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Battery 2.png
    Battery 2.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Everything about this phone was great for me as a phone for calls only. However the high SAR rating made me feel uncomfortable, hence dropped the idea, since its going to be with me almost always.

Talking in general about phones - How does that matter bro? The more we know, the more it leaves us insecure. I don't think that it's such a high SAR value that you would not want to buy the phone. The Moto E is a great vfm phone.

I'd like to add a couple points from my experience. After using it as my main phone for the last 2 weeks, the battery is pretty good and I end up with around 55-60% after 24 hrs. That includes 2 hrs of music, an hour of call, Whatsapp, gmail, FB and a few others allowed in notification mode thru' Edge and an hour or two of puzzles/games/ebook. I do have WiFi so no mobile data usage for about 12 hrs while I'm home.
I have my doubts about the gorilla glass 3 that is used here. I do not use any screen guard or cover, and I can see a couple of small scratch on the screen already.
I have not felt that the power/volume buttons are hard.
I have around 65-70 apps installed and around 950MB left in ROM (moving whatever can be to the SD card) and the phone is still noticeably fast in general usage.

Dead trigger and some casual games likes Drag Racing, vector
My can turbo plays dead trigger but not Drag racing....must be some compatibility issue

Ordered one for my Cousin sister.[DOUBLEPOST=1402579676][/DOUBLEPOST]
525 is better than 520, and with 8.1 even better. As an all rounder i think the Nokia is still ahead of the e.

hmm, that 4GB limitaiton is a pain even the 520 has 8GB. Folder mount app might help out some.

yes for someone with light casual use and whatsapp and android. Better than samsungs up to 10k.
I got a Lumia 525 for my mother, as is better than 520 and price difference is not that much.

Last edited:
I am still not aware of any REAL advantage that 4.4 offers over 4.3, or 4.1 or even 2.3!
Now, ebay has brand new Atrix for 5200 (after coupon), which seems a much better deal!!
The software improvements are real. The E's Cortex-A7 chip turns in higher results than the Atrix's A9 in synthetic benchmarks.
I doubt the Motoblur UI is as snappy as vanilla android. Plus the battery life with the 40nm manufactured chip in the Atrix will be shorter than the 28nm chip in the E.

Is this a good business phone? Battery life, call quality, messaging/Whatsapp are what's essential for me. Camera image quality is a secondary requirement.

@vyral_143 have you tried playing XCOM on the Moto E?
or any game installed on the MicroSD card?

Nope I have not played XCOM. Only the mentioned four by me for testing and Candycrush, Bubble blast 2 and Dot saga by mom. Also games are being installed on phone memory except few games which supports moving it o SD card like Subway Surfer. There need to be some workaround for this, IMO - needs to get back to Android world for some sorts of tweaks.

Is this a good business phone? Battery life, call quality, messaging/Whatsapp are what's essential for me. Camera image quality is a secondary requirement.

For mentioned usage you can use it. Call quality is good. Battery should last a day with approx 4 hours screen on time IMO. WhatsApp, GMail etc are opening smmothly.[DOUBLEPOST=1403548538][/DOUBLEPOST]Main post updated with uniform pictures for easy viewing.

Last edited:
Updated my Moto E to 4.4.4 (from OTA system notification). Good thing is that it doesn't show two SIM icons if you have only one SIM :) I';; update this thread later if I find something significant.

One more note, not sure if its related to this update but I think the battery life has improved noticeably after yesterday. Usually I charge my phone before I go to bed and after 24 hrs around 65% or so capacity is left. I do keep data off for the night. Today, its already 4pm and the meter still shows 90%, compared to the usual 77-80%.

Back