Budget 15-20K MotoG or BBZ10 or Asus or MI3?

bond_bhai

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: Max 20K (Even 20k is stretching it, but if the phone works on moon willing to raise the bet.)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: NO
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Occasional photography, Good camera (better than the Defy Green lens one)
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: ANDROID
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G,WIFI,EDGE
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Calls/SMS! Moderate games (Ex: Enigmatis/Drag racing etc) not a hardcore gamer, but occasional ones
10. Any other requirements?
A: Custom "ROMable". I have a defy for the past 3 years, not a day was spend on stock. Had fun flashing,.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

There are a few models which i have in my mind -
1. Moto G
2. Blackberry Z10
3. Xiaomi MI3
4. Asus Zenphone 5

I was inclined towards MotoG earlier but BBZ10 looks very good (Tech specs etc). However the apps is an area of concern. I know Android apps work on BBZ10, but i am not how compatible the newer apps will be.
The last two have been added recently, bang for the buck! Both look good in terms of price and specs wise. However, the thread on TE reg MI3 has a few negative listed. The Asus is a untested phone! So i am really confused which one to buy! Any inputs will be of great help! I am planning to buy a new one sometime next week since my defy is acting real weird (The status bar come down automatically and start dancing - basically it keeps coming and going down all by itself having a mind of its own. I cannot do anything else when this happens). I am not looking for a "big" phone or a phablet. Something which fits my hands will be fine!

I am not sure if i am jumping the "gun" here - Android L is round the corner, not sure which of the 3 Andy phones listed here will get it.

All suggestions welcomed :)

Last edited:
Moto G will be perfect for your requirements.

Consider you have the following major requirements: vis-a-vis moto G

Android L: Check
Good Modding support : Check
Play Modern games: Check*

Coming to other options,

BB Z10 : Avoid , Unless you seriously dig the design. I know because my brother bought one and sold it off the next week. Mainly because of the very subpar battery life. It is very sensation like if someone ever remembers that htc phone. If you like the BB 10 interface , Q5 is a nice little phone, but then BB10 you have not listed as a requirement

Xiaomi Mi3 : Well again, This depends on your definition of modding . Sure The Xiaomi has better hardware, But the question that needs to be asked is, Do you need it? Maybe something extra for nothing is not bad , but what if it comes at tradeoff with your other requirements.

Also as I mentioned , The term modding may amount to various things. It might be as simple as personalisation/customization of the interface to cooking your own firmware.
But seeing that you are a previous Defy owner, I do think you would like to root your phone and install various ROM's/tweaks, maybe via XDA.
In that case the Moto G makes much better sense then the Xiaomi.

Zenfone 5: Again it is an excellent phone. I had the chance to sample the hardware yesterday in an Asus shop(The 5 and 6 inch models will be available offline also) . It even has that zenbook like concentric circle finish. It looks like a padfone which is atleast 4 times more expensive.
So the zen fone is something I will easily recommend to my father,uncle,aunty or brother who is NOT into modding. Never for myself and not for you.
The reason is , It is new , and it has an intel processor. From the beginning Development has been better on the qualcomm devices and it is likely to remain so for the next few years.
Z2580 and development dont mix much.

Anyways go for the Moto G, or if you are upping your budget, wait for a few days and Go for a Nexus 5/Moto X
Moto G has better battery life then both Nexus and X, esp if you are going to use your phone mainly for calls and texting.

Yes Z3 and Z30 , and even Q5 are much better when it comes to battery life compared to Z10
Also I feel BB should have included another way to go back to home screen. While the gesture based interface is slick, sometimes it does become tiring.

Mi3 without a doubt. I'm carrying a Moto G, and while modding and rooting is great, with stock Android performing so well, they are not absolutely essential. And the screen is a tad smaller for me (a previous N7000 user).
Again depends on where you're coming and what you want to achieve.

Back