motoroka Defy question...

St.John

Disciple
hi all,

Just brought the Motorola Defy. I have a few question, haven't used touchscreens before so don't know much...

a) The phone is supposedly scratch-proof (corning Gorilla glass). Do I still need to put a scratch-guard becoz youtube videos show that the glass will remain scathed after people tried scratching it with keys?

b) Does putting a scratch-guard have an effect on the touch sensitivity of the phone's screen?

c) Motoblur supposedly has a Task manager in the Motorola widgets. There is none in the Motorola widgets in my fone. Are there two versions with Motoblur & without Motoblur? the phone also didn't ask to create a Motoblur account...

d) Also please suggest good audio & video players. Free + paid

all help will be appreciated...

congrats dude..........

am considering the same phone.i can answer only one of your questions (c) from what i have read.the indian/asian versions donot come with motoblur.n for audio player you should consider poweramp i guess heard a lot about it.

btw what were da damages?????

comp@ddict said:
nice, but don't you think 18k phones should get the latest android update.

this one runs 2.1 if i'm not wrong.
froyo updte for defy scheduled for q2 2011.and there are custom roms you can use after rooting to use 2.2.this one has a helluva hardware n lots o headroom to oc :)

Well, the 2.1 android thing was a concern but considering that the 2.2 update is scheduled for May... I just thought its ok... And with 2.1 it is still very fast... Only during pinch zooming do I find a little lag which is somewhat noticeable.... With 2.2 well things will just get better... And yes, the hardware is good.. Doesnt have a front camera but I dont do videocalling anyyways...

Dude, yesterday I almost bought Motorola Defy as I had the money but then considering few things & reading some user reviews I decided to drop the idea & went on to buy the LG Optimus One. The price was 12.6k; I asked them to throw me a SanDisk 8GB MicroSDHC Card & roundabout the price to 13k & they did :) The device is awesome, my first Android.

St.John said:
a) The phone is supposedly scratch-proof (corning Gorilla glass). Do I still need to put a scratch-guard becoz youtube videos show that the glass will remain scathed after people tried scratching it with keys?

These are generally scratch resistant, and not scratch proof.
Its advisable to put the scratch guards. Costs 75-80 Rupees which shop owners merrily sell for 100-150. Bargain.

b) Does putting a scratch-guard have an effect on the touch sensitivity of the phone's screen?
Minimal change in response ought to be there.. but next to not noticeable.
c) Motoblur supposedly has a Task manager in the Motorola widgets. There is none in the Motorola widgets in my fone. Are there two versions with Motoblur & without Motoblur? the phone also didn't ask to create a Motoblur account...
I read that Motoblur widgets can be deleted. If they can be, i am sure they can be restored as well.
Maybe ur set needs to restore them.

Wait for some other owner/user to confirm

d) Also please suggest good audio & video players. Free + paid
all help will be appreciated...
No idea.
Will watch this space for good DivX/Xvid player.. need to suggest for frnd's HTC desire as well.

Just found out.. The Indian version will not come with Motoblur... The reason Moto guys quoted was because Motoblur also being an online service and not all people who buy phones in India have a gprs/3g connection and without such they wouldn't get past the Motorola Blur welcome screen... duh..!

dissel said:
^^^Congrats for your purchase.

Do you suggest any good shop (lowest quote) in kolkata ? I'm looking for Desire Z.

Thanks!! I usually hunt multiple places before buying my gadgets. For starters I go to 5 Star Market or Fancy Market to check out the options (legitimate store not smuggled one). There are 2 shops that I can suggest over there from where I have bought many devices & never had any trouble with them (8-9 devices in total). But recently I found that The Mobile Store at e-Mall is open to a lot of extra services so I bought the LG Optimus One with 8GB SanDisk SDHC Card from there at 13k (12.6k + 0.4k). So I will suggest you to go to Fancy first & then check The Mobile Store & bargain down the price. If you want the Fancy Market stores number, I can message u.

these luxury cases are not worth until you are fashion addicted , for protecting a cell a pouch or leather case is enough with scratch guard from day one , I am using otterbox with my iphone 3gs , and its a good case but definitely not for the price I paid[1k] , try to buy it from letsbuy.com if its available with them because dealsandyou.com is giving some exiting offers , check at hot deals and discussions at TE

reddy8155 said:
The same case on ebay is 359rs. Where did you see the screen guard?
Same place.. Just search for motorola defy and you'll find both.. In ebay, since the phone is newly launched accesories are not that readily available, so the guy is tryin to earn quick profit...

Back