Android Motorola Edge 20 series

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Bought the Fusion variant for 20k from Flipkart earlier this month.

The September security update downloaded when I set it up.

Today got the notification for October security update and bugfixes but no mention of what bugs are supposedly fixed. I guess I'll find out in the coming days.

Anyone else with one of these phone variants have any feedback on issues you face and what bugs have been fixed by this update?

There's a few bugs and annoyances I've come across which I'm looking forward to seeing fixed, such as:

1. If you enable tap to wake screen option it also enables lift to wake which keeps triggering the screen at the slightest movement or vibration and I'm concerned about battery life due to gyro and accelerometer sensors being always on. No option to separately disable it.

2. The default colour scheme was blue coloured icon buttons in the notification drop down quick action buttons. When I applied a custom theme that changed the colour to cyan now I can't seem to be able to get the default colour back.

3. Notifications options seems to be missing the ability to prevent the contents from being displayed if you pick default audible alerts.

4. No perceived difference between 90hz and 60hz screen refresh rate.

5. Battery consumption seems to be on the higher side, at least compared to my samsung m21 which roughly has 20% more battery capacity but 40% more life with my moderate usage patterns. Perhaps the os isn't (yet) optimised to a high degree for the dimensity chipset?

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head, please add anything else you have come across.

Also do mention what bug fixes you have noticed with this update?

Security update may not fix any user visible bug, sometimes they could even cause annoyances :)

Not Motorola used to announce in updates that they include XYZ level of Android security update. E.g in October update Motorola may announce that it includes up to September of Android security updates. Details of those are generally more complicated to be discussed here, but available in bulletins like this : https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2021-10-01

For checking display rate, I've found this useful at times : https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate. But frequently I am also unable to notice differences between different refresh rates. Do you perceive battery drain rate differences ?

Overall I'd say it's pretty good but nothing earth shattering.

For 20k can't complain.

Pros are decent screen, though like I mentioned I can't discern difference between 90 and 60 hz modes. It's supposed to be 10 bit hdr but I haven't really tried viewing content yet.

It has 5000 mah battery. 13 bands of 5G for future proofing or in my case I expect good resale value when I sell in a couple of years.

Android mostly stock experience it seems and one of the reasons I got this is for stock Android 12 update which I hope comes sooner rather than later.

Cons I've mentioned in the OP.

Camera seems very average and plenty of complaints online and moto will try to address. But I don't use camera much.

And yep I would still buy this phone knowing the pros and cons... Mainly for the combination of a stock Android phone with oled and big battery which my preferred brand Nokia does not seem to offer right now.
@kiran6680 nope my battery drain is a bit erratic and I haven't been able to pin the cause... I tried disable 90hz and tap to wake etc but no idea what is the optimal settings or usage patterns.

Would you consider using custom ROM such as LineageOS on this phone and is it straightforward to unlock bootloader and root it. TIA

@vishalrao while we are at it can you give your opinion on the video recording stabilization at 1080p? For both 30 fps and 60 fps. You need to walk/jog around btw. I checked a bunch of reviews but can't still make up my mind (not that I'm going to buy it). I like the phone but the video recording stabilization concerns me. Also I'm too used to 60 fps I don't want to buy 30fps camera phone anymore.
Alternatively check how good the Realme GT 5G video recording is. It's great. I want something like that but the SoC is overkill for me. I would be fine even with SD730/732/MTK G95 etc.

@iPwnz I'm not sure how to put it in words but the stabilization is pretty good for EIS non optical OIS ... I didn't check while walking or jogging but I doubt even full OIS can properly smooth out the shakiness in that case.

Back