Budget 25-30k Motorola Edge 40 Performance

SirVer

Disciple
I'm looking to get a new phone mainly because my Mi 11X (i.e. Poco F3) and its 6+128 configuration have been awful for me lately. Xiaomi memory management is terrible in and of itself, but even on custom ROMs I can't keep more than 2-3 apps in memory, and even the general performance has been suffering somewhat (though that may be because of the RAM).

Anyway, I'm looking at the Moto Edge 40 because it has a 8+256 config, wireless charging, and IP68 - all things I've wished I had over the last couple of years - for a pretty good price. The one thing I'm concerned about is the performance - the Dimensity 8020 seems to only match the SD870 at best, and I'm worried about its long term viability. The reviews all say that it performs well, but I don't know if there's an implicit "for a midranger" caveat in there. I don't care much about gaming so I'm mainly looking for performance in apps and in browser.

What do you guys think? Am I right to be concerned or not?

the processor honestly doesnt matter as much for you since you are not into gaming, and the 8200 is still a decent processor, I would be more worried about the curved display bullshit (trust me, not worth it, speaking as a Moto edge 30 fusion owner), 8 gigs of ram (fine these days but maybe not in a couple of years) and the moto's absymal update policy.

fine these days but maybe not in a couple of years
Yeah. 12GB of RAM would be a reasonable upgrade. Also, worth mentioning that 8020 is limited to slower 4x RAM as opposed to 5 in 870. Don't know if they difference would be noticeable, though.

Since you are on a custom ROM, have you tried reducing background, cached processes? I tried on mine (K20Pro 6/128) and was able to squeeze over a GB of RAM. I don't usually run multiple apps in background, but once noticed GBoard was using about 300MB of RAM when I was only at my home screen with no apps in background and since been trying to purge such processes just for the heck of it.

the processor honestly doesnt matter as much for you since you are not into gaming, and the 8200 is still a decent processor, I would be more worried about the curved display bullshit (trust me, not worth it, speaking as a Moto edge 30 fusion owner), 8 gigs of ram (fine these days but maybe not in a couple of years) and the moto's absymal update policy.
Is the curved screen that bad in terms of usability? I've seen a review on YouTube that specifically calls out good palm rejection as compared to another phone with a curved screen, though now that I think about it I'm not entirely sure that was about the Edge 40 - I'll have to check again.

As for memory and updates, those are concerns, but at this point I've given up trying to use a phone for more than 2 years (every time I try something happens and I have to switch), so as long as it'll get me through the next 2 years I'm okay with it. Do you think 8GB would do that? I've learned that I'm not the best judge of this when it comes to phones since I thought 6GB should be enough for my usage.

With regards to updates in particular, I value the unlockable bootloader more to be honest - the Edge 40 doesn't even have a forum yet on XDA (which I find super strange), but it looks like I should be able to unlock and root at the very least. I want whatever device I get to be reversible unlocked without losing anything, which is why I can't get Samsung despite being able to get them at much lower prices via relatives abroad.

Yeah. 12GB of RAM would be a reasonable upgrade. Also, worth mentioning that 8020 is limited to slower 4x RAM as opposed to 5 in 870. Don't know if they difference would be noticeable, though.

Since you are on a custom ROM, have you tried reducing background, cached processes? I tried on mine (K20Pro 6/128) and was able to squeeze over a GB of RAM. I don't usually run multiple apps in background, but once noticed GBoard was using about 300MB of RAM when I was only at my home screen with no apps in background and since been trying to purge such processes just for the heck of it.
I took a look using App Manager, and don't really see anything that I wouldn't want running in the background among the apps taking up the most memory. I did go ahead and restrict Gboard and Genius (no idea why the latter was running), but their memory footprint was fairly small anyway. I'm no longer as up-to-date with this stuff as I once was, so I'll include a screenshot in case you see something I don't.

The main things I'm looking for are:
  • 120Hz OLED
  • Roughly equivalent or better performance than my current phone (SD870)
  • 8/256 or more
  • IP67/IP68
  • Wireless charging
  • 30W+ wired charging
  • Unlockable bootloader
  • Non-plastic frame and back (ideally)
There are a couple of Realme devices that might have qualified, but the bootloader unlock availability seems inconsistent and region dependent. The only other devices I'm aware of that check all these boxes are the OnePlus 9 Pro and 10 Pro, which cost at least 50% more, and I'm not sure if they're worth that. If I let go of the IP68 requirement, that allows for the Nothing Phone 1 (again, not sure about performance) and the Poco F5 Pro (hesitant to go Xiaomi/Poco again). What do you guys think?

Thanks for the feedback so far, appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812-074958_App_Manager.png
    Screenshot_20230812-074958_App_Manager.png
    313.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I took a look using App Manager, and don't really see anything that I wouldn't want running in the background among the apps taking up the most memory. I did go ahead and restrict Gboard and Genius (no idea why the latter was running), but their memory footprint was fairly small anyway. I'm no longer as up-to-date with this stuff as I once was, so I'll include a screenshot in case you see something I don't.
Yeah, this is pretty much all I did. Except, GBoard didn't have a 'fairly small memory footprint as I've mentioned. For me few apps were sitting at about 70-130MB and since uninstalled - Digital Wellbeing, (Google's)Messages & Android System Intelligence (don't know what this does, but didn't seem to affect my usage).

Your memory usage is identical to mine considering I'm not using very many apps, except I've never seen swap memory get so large.

The main things I'm looking for are
No options in this budget. Things like IP ratings, Wireless charging & sadly Metal frame are the major corners cut in this segment. If you can, wait for Big Billion Days; maybe there'll be an offer close enough to your budget.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812-092810_App Manager.png
    Screenshot_20230812-092810_App Manager.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20230812-094219_App Manager.png
    Screenshot_20230812-094219_App Manager.png
    338.1 KB · Views: 72
No options in this budget. Things like IP ratings, Wireless charging & sadly Metal frame are the major corners cut in this segment. If you can, wait for Big Billion Days; maybe there'll be an offer close enough to your budget.
I'm alright to increase the budget by a fair bit - I only set 30k as the prefix because I started the thread about the Edge 40. I'd even be willing to go up to 40-45k if there's enough value add. For example, I can get the Poco F5 Pro (12/512GB) for about 40k abroad, but the only real draws for me are the higher memory and glass back - I don't need the performance of the 8+ Gen 1, or the 1440p resolution (as long as the colors are accurate), and I'd be giving up the IP68 rating, so I'm not sure that's worth shelling out for. Then there's the Samsung S21 FE and the older flagships, which are also options for me, but there's no way to reverse Knox if I unlock the bootloader, and I don't like the idea of permanently gimping a phone's functionality like that.
Your memory usage is identical to mine considering I'm not using very many apps, except I've never seen swap memory get so large.
I do have a lot of browser tabs (easily 100+), so maybe that has something to do with it, but even with the browser open it takes up 500MB at most of actual main memory. However, I can see that your main memory usage is way lower than mine - even when I clear all my recent apps, it stays near full. Even totalling up the memory usage of all my user apps, it comes to only about 2GB, meaning that the system is taking up almost 4GB just sitting doing nothing, which seems way too high. I'm currently on PixelOS, but I had similar issues on stock MIUI and ArrowOS as well, though I never actually profiled the memory usage like this. It's probably an issue with my usage pattern being heavy, but as far as I can recall my OnePlus 6 I had before this did just fine with this kind of load, and I know I wasn't maxing out the memory usage on that thing.

Last edited:
I'm looking to get a new phone mainly because my Mi 11X (i.e. Poco F3)
How come MI 11x is Poco F3? Both are different models.
Xiaomi memory management is terrible in and of itself, but even on custom ROMs I can't keep more than 2-3 apps in memory, and even the general performance has been suffering somewhat (though that may be because of the RAM).
This is highly unlikely as ram management in stock Miui is good and on custom roms its awesome but depends which custom rom you are on as these days even a school passed kid comes with his own custom rom and his own attitude so always choose the rom which has a wider active support.

Would suggest to give a try by totally unrooting (if rooted), wiping everything from recovery, flash an older mi rom and setup the phone. Then perform ota update till the latest version and then flash custome recovery and check the performance.

I'm alright to increase the budget by a fair bit - I only set 30k as the prefix because I started the thread about the Edge 40. I'd even be willing to go up to 40-45k if there's enough value add. For example, I can get the Poco F5 Pro (12/512GB) for about 40k abroad, but the only real draws for me are the higher memory and glass back - I don't need the performance of the 8+ Gen 1, or the 1440p resolution (as long as the colors are accurate), and I'd be giving up the IP68 rating, so I'm not sure that's worth shelling out for. Then there's the Samsung S21 FE and the older flagships, which are also options for me, but there's no way to reverse Knox if I unlock the bootloader, and I don't like the idea of permanently gimping a phone's functionality like that.

I do have a lot of browser tabs (easily 100+), so maybe that has something to do with it, but even with the browser open it takes up 500MB at most of actual main memory. However, I can see that your main memory usage is way lower than mine - even when I clear all my recent apps, it stays near full. Even totalling up the memory usage of all my user apps, it comes to only about 2GB, meaning that the system is taking up almost 4GB just sitting doing nothing, which seems way too high. I'm currently on PixelOS, but I had similar issues on stock MIUI and ArrowOS as well, though I never actually profiled the memory usage like this. It's probably an issue with my usage pattern being heavy, but as far as I can recall my OnePlus 6 I had before this did just fine with this kind of load, and I know I wasn't maxing out the memory usage on that thing.

If you are into Samsung I would say dont touch custom roms or say goodbye to warranties due to Knox fusing.
And 100+ broser tabs on a phone? Kidding right? Then you might need those 16gb+ ram phones but doubt the app will support so much as it will eventually crash!

How come MI 11x is Poco F3? Both are different models.
The Mi 11X is how Xiaomi sells the F3 in India. If you look at the spec sheet, they are exactly the same, down to the dimensions - the only difference is the colors. Plus, they have the same device tree and codename (alioth), so all the custom ROMs, stock ROMs, recoveries, kernels, etc. work the same on both. The only thing that varies is the firmware (i.e. baseband, etc). Why they did this when they went on to launch the F3 GT in India under the Poco brand itself, I have no idea. Xiaomi often shuffles its devices between the Mi/Poco/Redmi brands and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason why they did it for any given device.
This is highly unlikely as ram management in stock Miui
Strongly disagree. Over the last 10 years, a consistent issue I've had with MIUI is memory management, to the point where I would budget an extra gig of memory when considering Xiaomi devices as compared to others. When I got the 11X, I had heard that things had gotten better, so I thought it would be fine to go with the 6GB model, and to its credit, it was fine for about a year, at which point it was so bad it got in the way of my daily usage and I had to go custom ROM. It's not just me either, there are plenty of people with the same complaint online.
on custom roms its awesome but depends which custom rom you are on as these days even a school passed kid comes with his own custom rom and his own attitude so always choose the rom which has a wider active support.

Would suggest to give a try by totally unrooting (if rooted), wiping everything from recovery, flash an older mi rom and setup the phone. Then perform ota update till the latest version and then flash custome recovery and check the performance.
I've had these issues on stock, rooted, non-rooted, BL locked, BL unlocked, and at least 3 different custom ROMs across both Android 12 and 13. It's definitely better on custom ROMs, in that multitasking is actually somewhat doable, but not ideal. I realize that it's probably something about my usage pattern that MIUI doesn't work well with, but I never had any of these issues on my OnePlus 6, which had both OxygenOS (lighter) and more RAM (8GB). Given that my issues are lesser but still bad even with custom ROMs, I'm guessing memory capacity is the limiting factor.
If you are into Samsung I would say dont touch custom roms or say goodbye to warranties due to Knox fusing.
I'm not into Samsung, specifically because of Knox. If it weren't for Knox, I'd probably be fine with a Samsung - OneUI is way better than TouchWiz, which was half the reason I avoided them.
And 100+ broser tabs on a phone? Kidding right?
Wait 'til you hear how much I have on desktop :p
Then you might need those 16gb+ ram phones but doubt the app will support so much as it will eventually crash!
I've had browser loads like that for at least 5 years now - it's usually not as much of a problem on mobile as on desktop because mobile browsers will aggressively cache to disk and evict tabs from memory if required. Even now, with all those tabs, the browser is taking up less than 400MB of memory. As an experiment, I've even tried force stopping the browser and freezing its processes, and I still have issues with keeping multiple apps open.

Anyway, after all this I think the Moto is probably not going to work. I can get the 12GB versions of the Poco F5 Pro or the Xiaomi 12 Pro for about 40k, so I'll probably go for one of those. I wanted to avoid spending that much on a phone, but given the responses in the thread and my experiences over the last year or so I'll probably be thankful for the extra headroom in a year or two. Thanks for the help everyone.

Not considering Oneplus or Nothing?
I want wireless charging this time around, so that limits the choice to the OnePlus Pro models. For both the 9 Pro and 10 Pro I'd be paying about as much the Mi/Poco models I mentioned, which isn't great because the 9 Pro has an older chip and the 10 Pro surprisingly has an extremely inactive dev scene - there isn't even a TWRP build available.

As for Nothing, the Phone 2 would cost more even for the lower spec, and I'm unsure about the Phone 1 in terms of long term performance - I saw a video showing how it stutters a bit when doing picture-in-picture and such, and while it wasn't bad by any means, it did give me concerns as to how it'll hold up over the next couple of years. Plus, the 12 GB model seems to be out of stock everywhere except Amazon (where it costs more than the Mi/Poco models), and I don't know if it'll come back now that the Phone 2 is out.

Is the curved screen that bad in terms of usability? I've seen a review on YouTube that specifically calls out good palm rejection as compared to another phone with a curved screen, though now that I think about it I'm not entirely sure that was about the Edge 40 - I'll have to check again.
Curved screen on a phone looks really beautiful, for me the Edge 30 fusion is the best looking phone in the under 40k segment right now but thats just about it, you cant get a decent tempered glass for it because its curved, the original company which made the UV glass for samsung doesnt make it for moto or atleast its not available here, the chinese knockoffs are realy bad with most peeling off after a couple of weeks and thats not even taking into account how UV light itself might damage the display if held at one place for too long or how you need to make sure the glue spreads everywhere and god forbid if the glue gets into your ports/speaker grills.

Whenever my phone drops, I always have a mini heart attack thinking the display is gone (I asked a moto service center about how much a screen replacement will cost and he quoted around 15k to me) and this is moto specific but you can never find decent back covers/other accessories for any motorola phone, we have both the edge 30 and the edge 30 fusion and we had a really hard time finding back covers for it which was not that printed crap they sell in malls. Every major Accessory maker be it Kapaver/Spigen/etc , they all ignore motorola phones.

Tl : Dr the phone will look really good but in practical matters its worthless

I want wireless charging this time around, so that limits the choice to the OnePlus Pro models. For both the 9 Pro and 10 Pro I'd be paying about as much the Mi/Poco models I mentioned, which isn't great because the 9 Pro has an older chip and the 10 Pro surprisingly has an extremely inactive dev scene - there isn't even a TWRP build available.

As for Nothing, the Phone 2 would cost more even for the lower spec, and I'm unsure about the Phone 1 in terms of long term performance - I saw a video showing how it stutters a bit when doing picture-in-picture and such, and while it wasn't bad by any means, it did give me concerns as to how it'll hold up over the next couple of years. Plus, the 12 GB model seems to be out of stock everywhere except Amazon (where it costs more than the Mi/Poco models), and I don't know if it'll come back now that the Phone 2 is out.
How would Phone 2 cost more for lower spec? You get 8+128 GB for 42k. It has 8+Gen1 which is good in terms of efficiency as well. I agree the cameras on this phone is not that great, but I don’t think you are looking for a great camera in this price section. 12+256 will cost you a bit more here (48k) but since you are a person who keeps too many apps in background or 100+ tabs open, you would not regret getting a 12GB model 1-2 years later.

How would Phone 2 cost more for lower spec? You get 8+128 GB for 42k. It has 8+Gen1 which is good in terms of efficiency as well. I agree the cameras on this phone is not that great, but I don’t think you are looking for a great camera in this price section. 12+256 will cost you a bit more here (48k) but since you are a person who keeps too many apps in background or 100+ tabs open, you would not regret getting a 12GB model 1-2 years later.
Don't care about cameras at all, but as I said I can get the F5 Pro 12/256 through a relative for 40k, whereas the same config on the Nothing is 50k on Flipkart. Plus, the Xiaomi 12 Pro is also available here, and is 45k for the same config, with the added bonus of having faster charging and extended warranty options straight from Flipkart/Amazon.

Honestly I'd consider the Phone 1 and risk the processor not aging well if I could get the 12/256 variant but it's out of stock.

Back