Motorola Surpasses Nokia in India

Onemufc

Skilled
Numbers are coming out of New Delhi comparing the sales volume of smartphones in India for the first half of 2014. Motorola, thanks to stellar sales of the Moto G, have shot past Nokia to become the fourth largest handset manufacturer in the country.

Considering the success of the Moto G around the globe, it is no surprise that Motorola has seen success in device sales in India. The remarkable part here is that Motorola scraped by with just 379,310 device sales in the first quarter, but more than tripled overall YTD shipments up to 1.33 million units thanks to Q2 sales.

The overall smartphone industry is doing well in India, with Q2 sales reportedly up nine percent over Q1 2014. Rounding out the top five device manufacturers shows Samsungwith 8.5 million units YTD, Micromax at 5.8 million, Karbonn cleaning up third spot with 2.3 million, Motorola enjoying growth at 1.33 million and Nokia just getting edged out at 1.21 million.

Link :- http://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-india-sales-413358/

This is huge for Moto. Hope they continue this.

Very surprised.
I thought Nokia does well in smaller towns and in shop sales in general.
Fact that Motorola has far fewer models which were sold online only sold more units than many Nokia models combined is astonishing.
I have used some Nokia devices and their phones are not bad and the OS is unique.
They need to get an image makeover look like to get back in the race.

^ I think these numbers are for Nokia smartphones alone i.e. Nokia's Lumia series. Their regular feature phones probably still sell well.

Yes, I assumed all phones instead of smartphones.
Still quite a beating by online sales compared to retail sales for 3 months

Im also surprised, still a large majority of population buys phone offline at mobile shops popping up everywhere and many people choose Lumia series.

Im also surprised, still a large majority of population buys phone offline at mobile shops popping up everywhere and many people choose Lumia series.
I've seen shopkeepers from small town ordering Moto E and Gs on demand and selling them at around 200-500 bucks more.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Moto phones sold only by Flipkart? This makes it even more impressive considering it's just one retailer.

Back