Movie library management software?

rock_ya_baby

~~~=o=~~~
Adept
How do you guys manage your movie library? I am not talking about the DVD disks, but, the rips stored on HDDs.

I have 1.5TB disk full of movies, I need a software that can download the covers, synopsis and misc details about each flick. It should support auto scanning based on folder/files name.

I tried moviecollecterz, it failed to find a match for a lot of the titles. Kindly, suggest only what you have used as I have already tried some of the freewares which a bit of googling suggested.

I have started to use Plex to manage my tv and movie library
  • It gets the info from the net with ratings etc. and has a cool interface
  • I can stream it to my android without any hiccups
  • It has a very active support community with some great plugins for windows
  • I have installed the trakt plugin for it, so that it syncs my progress online as well. This helps me from losing everything when i reinstall my OS.

I have been using Media Companion for some time.
It does a decent job for movies.
Along with it I use The Renamer for renaming my movie collection, it's a very nifty utility for arranging movies and TV series.
Now I can't imagine how I ever managed without it.

I have used Plex in the past for streaming stuff to my TV via PS3 but Samsung TVs have problems showing subtitles when required while streaming.

Media Companion doesn't rename files, it just manages then in a catalogue, downloads cover art, summary, etc.

The Renamer can rename movies as well as tv series, it also renames subtitles automatically as per movie/tv series name.

Last edited:
Will these software also work if we connect the external HDD directly with TV? Instead of showing simple movie folders, can we browse the movies poster of each movie?

I have been using plex although it gets slow when browsing large library like mine >2TB but I have apps for all my devices and with plexpass its one of the best app out there.

Will these software also work if we connect the external HDD directly with TV? Instead of showing simple movie folders, can we browse the movies poster of each movie?
try XBMC.
It's possible to use OpenElec with Raspberry PI to have the same experience with a very less cost on energy & a minimalistic foot print. Apart from that you'll get to learn new stuff while using Rpi :) .

Last edited:
Can XBMC be installed on pendrive/external HDD and work if I connect it directly with my Samsung TV? I also have playon HD media player (ACR-PV73100), but unfortunately XBMC does not work on it. :(

There is a portable version of xbmc that can run on PC's. Xbmcbuntu I think.
This version won't run on TV since smart TV os would be android (?) I think. So you would need it as an app format to open.

Back