Budget Above 25K Moving from Android to iOS...Advisable??

Arjan

Disciple
Hey guys!

I am in dire need of your valuable advice..

I'm thinking about getting an iphone 6 to replace my android device. Is it advisable? Or, should I refrain from switching over?

A little background..
My first smartphone was an iphone 3g and I loved it. It was an awesome piece of equipment and could do amazing things (at that point in time). Eventually, I upgraded to an iphone 4, which was "the thing" at that time and felt satisfied.
However, gradually android caught up with more refined android versions and bigger and better screen, memory and processors. Finally, with the arrival of the Galaxy S3, I could no longer resist the temptation and began reading reviews and articles about android.
Then, I came across Armando Ferreira's youtube videos :
and I was sold. I got myself a Galaxy S3 and got introduced to a whole new level of customization! which I could never achieve on my iphone, even after jailbreaking.
Since that day, I never looked back and have changed multiple android devices.

That being said....
I have had my android devices crash on multiple occasions, with a major recent crash in which I lost valuable data - important phone calls log, messages and contacts.
It wouldn't have been an issue if I was in college, but now I'm working...and these kind of crashes is just not acceptable to me anymore. [I might add that such crashes and hang-ups have been frequent with my android devices, although I didn't care much in the past].
Kindly note: I'm a hardcore android user, and I root my android device and flash custom roms and kernels frequently. I have Titanium Backup Pro installed and most of my data backed up, but sometimes I forget to backup, and this is when my android device crashes :banghead:

Thus, now I have been thinking about making the leap over to iOS.....which - we android fans might not admit it, but deep down in our hearts we know it to be true - does not crash and hang up.
The new iphone 6 has a big screen. The iOS 8 has caught up in some aspects with the android (though still lags behind considerably), it has all the important widgets/shortcuts, more third party apps, a little less restrictions (only a little though).

So, should I make the switch from android to iOS?? Or, would I be disappointed??

If someone has been using both android and iOS, could you please shed some light on the drawbacks of an iphone against an android device...
I need to know:
(a) if I'll still be able to copy paste files from my PC normally (not via itunes, but a third party copy-paste software is okay)?
(b) if I'll still be able to download all my email attachments, songs, videos from web?
(c) if I'll still be able to watch tv shows via online streaming websites
(d)...

Your help will be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
I got my wife an iPhone 5s as the first step and I did like it :) And so, am getting an iPhone 6 for myself from US through a friend which will be waiting for me in UK as I am travelling there next month :)
Doing something similar myself!
Just last night, I put up my Mother's iphone 4 up for sale here, and today I placed an order for iphone 5s 32gb, which should arrive this week. Then, as I wait for the iphone 4 to sell, I'll be using the iphone 5s...I reckon that shall give me plenty of time to experience the iOS and know for sure if I wish to go on with the iphone 6.

BTW, I did got to an imagine store today, and tried the iphone 6. Must say, it is one sexy looking device! and feels great in the hands.
But hey, we'll see how it pans out...

@Arjan
If you want a stable peaceful experience, as you mentioned, get a Nexus device.
Among android devices, the Nexus 5 is the most aesthetically appealing IMO. However, its 32gb memory is a major constraint for me, and this is why I went for the GS4 (trust me my 64gb card is almost always nearly full).
This is why I am looking at the LG G3, which is basically the same design philosophy as the Nexus 5, and offers some serious advantages over it - external memory, better camera, bigger screen, bigger ram...etc., except of course the direct Google updates, which is a shame.
I was waiting for the Nexus 6 as well. However, I already didn't much like the design of Motorola devices, and the same goes for Nexus 6 now :(

So, if I do not find the iOS suitable for me, it will come down to choosing between the LG G3 and the Nexus 5...and I think I already know the answer ;)

Really, iOS is "simple"? It seems very messy to me. It was simple when the OS was simple, but that is not the case anymore. The notification centre is a total mess, especially with the widget-like things forced in iOS 8. The biggest problem is the design language for all apps, buttons all over the place, there's just too much tapping and moving your fingers around, and the most bizarre omission is the lack of a back button. Now that iOS is on a decent sized screen it is unacceptable, you have to double tap (reachability), bring the app down, and then move up to tap the software back button. Seriously, how can anyone call this "simple"?
Hmm...I think your comments about iOS not being so "simple" - as I had been believing all along, are quite spot on.
Since, I haven't had much first-hand experience with the Apple devices in the last couple of years, I guess I'm not well-informed about the usability issues that have started plaguing the iphone, especially more so with the iphone 6's bigger screen now...

Anyway, now since I'm getting the iphone 5s (for my Mom) and will be able to use it for a couple of weeks, I'll be in a better position to comment on the usability of iOS.

If you want simple but elegant, try Windows Phone.
Okay..I will look into Windows phones as well. Seems like I have completely overlooked a very efficient mobile device platform.

MIUI styling is similar to iOS on Android. Try that ROM, if not satisfied you can buy an iPhone.

Windows Phone is slick n' silky smooth. Check out the Windows Phone Store, if you find all the apps you need. And, Nokia PureView cameras can take on Sammy anyday.

Thanks @Arjan for bringing up this issue, I have been thinking a lot on these lines off late, I have used iphone 4 before , but since ICS it's always been Android for me.
I am using HTC one M8 for now, having sold Oneplus one recently and Own a Nexus 5 too . My wife recently shifted from Nokia Lumia 720 to Mi3, I had a brief days of using Windows Mobile recently. I used bb curve 2 yrs ago as office phone along with Note 2 as personal phone, I use ipad regularly still. I'm in a better position to put my experiences here.

This issue is better addressed in need to basis than user reviews etc.
Agree to the fact that each of us are very different in our phone usage though however like minded we are.

First things first chart your priorities as a Smartphone user. What are the things you can't live without in a Smartphone, and which mobile os excels in that? I'll chart my priorities this may help you.

1. Connectivity : Smartphone needs to be connected always, though Wp,iOS and Kitkat all do it well but BB is a notch higher on GSM connectivity than other phones IMHO. WiFi if you have a AC router then you can decide what suites on relative specifications. M8 doesn't offer AC WiFi where's oneplus offers AC WiFi . Choose your priorities here. IPHONE 6 offers AC WiFi.
Nokia connectivity is next to BB, iOS and Kitkat are almost same on devices I've used.
Order of preference
BB > WP >Kitkat =iOS

2. Battery life : Yes this is a basic priority, it's useless if you have to run for socket or powerbank every now and then. At least 24hrs with my kind of usage (which is heavy ) is a must, 6 plus hrs of screen time is must.

BB and WP are good, iPhone 4s had better battery life, iPhone 5 onwards the battery is poor, as reviews say iPhone 6 battery life is just better than 5.
Android side I own a Lenovo P780 too it's unmatched in battery life. M8 and oneplus do manage to survive just over 24hrs.
But it's the most subjective part of the discussion for WP people say you don't have much apps to tinker with so battery life is good.. Etc.

BB -WP >Kitkat >iOS.

3. Apps : The online trading app I use is available only for iOS and Kitkat.
The text to speech app is better on Kitkat, So is connectivity to Pebble watch.
The Journal app is only available on iOS, which I'm currently managing on ipad, since I'm using M8 as my daily driver.
Other free apps and customization is far better in Kitkat over any other mobile os.
So it's
Kitkat ~iOS > WP >BB

4. Os and apps stability : it's sure no no if you have to hard reset the phone on daily usage.
I have faced this issue on WP and bb couple of times but not bothersome, Kitkat it's a problem mostly when I'm on custom rom or Kernels. Never yes never I had issues with Stock Roms on Android. IOS I never had issues on 7, on 8 it's awful. If you're looking for stability to move to iOS with 8 in current state it's strict no no.
IOS apps crash more often than android, it's a fact.

Kitkat ~WP ~ bb >> iOS

5 User experience : I judge on the basis of how easily speedily things are done.
Well designed finger print security which is secure and fast enough is a big plus for iOS. But the speed you get in unlocking your device from sleep is soon lost in multiple touches you require to get simplest of things. IOS is slow, so is WP they hide their inefficiency in UI animations which you can't turn off.
Having said that these animations bring about fluidic transitions and aesthetic appeal.
IOS buttons are not uniform on many apps, need to use settings mostly . Lack of a universal back button is unpardonable. It's also very subjective preference, but in general iOS is time consuming.
Kitkat is very customizable and fast at least on flagship android devices and you can hit your sweet spot with some amount of tinkering which is a must for any android user. Tap to wake is excellent feature IMHO.
Use of different keyboard options is good with Android.
Kitkat > iOS ~WP

6 Privacy and Security: with finger print and needing iTunes for each file transfer I feel iOS is secure, have landed up with issues with viruses on Android,again pre Kitkat era. I use ipad regularly for online transactions, avoid Kitkat.Google keeping an eye in Android is also annoying.
BB security is unmatched for enterprise users.

BB ~iOS > WP > Kitkat

7. Premiumness : M8 best built Android still lacks in flaunt value over iPhone 5 though both cost nearly same. WP devices are neither bad or good, but you are looked upon like a caveman if you are seen with BB nowadays.

IOS > Android > WP >>BB

8 Multimedia : Though the most important part is audio quality for me followed by screen clarity M8 appeals a lot in this regard. Sound quality is unmatched on M8, it's a must have for audiophiles,I haven't touched my iPod since I am using M8. What more it comes with built-in amp,though small. It's the best audio I've seen on mobile device period. WP devices sound bit muddy, iPhone just above average but far better than Samsung Galaxy phones. Sony and opo also have a good speakers.
M8>>iPhone >WP

Camera. I use a proper camera for my needs, which I don't use much often. For selfies and portraits M8 camera is fair, but far from perfect.
IPhone camera is great I guess, followed by flagship android devices and Windows phones. It's a feature that changes with devices.
Lumia series gives you best of mobile cameras I think.

Lumia >iPhone >Android has to be compared on per device in consideration.

Videos : the bigger the screen the better, now even iPhone has corrected it's serious drawback by offering larger screen sizes, but resolution. Sorry apple I don't buy the retina resolution crap. 1080p on 5 inch screen is far better looking than on 5.5 incher. Quad HD display on G3 is awesome.

1080p is a minimum requirement here.
Android >WP > iOS > BB

Streaming video, dlna again android scores over any other platforms

9. GPS Nokia maps are best followed by Google maps. IOS is inaccurate at least in India.

10 Ruggedness. No need to discuss as many android devices offer opportunity of waterproof and impact resistance etc

I think I have clarified my experiences, I would suggest every one to add theirs as it's very subjective but important discussion.
Even i planned to buy iPhone 6 but until iOS 8 improves I'll wait.

Sorry forgot to mention
Prices??

At the cost of iPhone you can buy a flagship Android for tinkering and a midrange WP as a daily driver.
But iPhone depreciation over a year is hardly 15-25% whereas for others it's much more.
Apps are costlier on iOS platform too, but apple quality control of apps is too good so they have some premium feel to them.

An update..
It's been 18 days since I got my iphone 5s, and 3 days since I received my Nexus 5. I can honestly say that I am pleasantly surprised!
I am already in the process of handing over the iphone 5s to my Mother and I'll be keeping the Nexus 5, which I found to be blazingly fast!

I no longer have to deal with limitations of iOS <phew> Although, I will surely miss the attractive and sexy form of the iphone.
That being said, the Nexus 5 is no slouch either in the looks department. I personally feel that it looks very sleek and Ninja-like!

Functionality wise, I admit I was a fool to think that the iOS would be better than the Android.
With the new and updated GMail, Inbox and other Google Apps, I believe the Android has outdone iOS this time around. The interface looks extremely clean and elegant. Apple really needs to up its game, or it will be history soon.
In my 3 days of extreme usage on my Nexus 5, I have yet to encounter a stutter! It is completely lag-free.
The very reason I bought an iphone, has been addressed by the Nexus.

Also, this time around, I have bought all apps - I mean all of them. I no longer have any "cracked" apk installed on my Nexus device. Dunno if this has somehow contributed to my device's speed, but I think I'll stick.
BTW, I was inspired by this blog: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps
(PS: I did pay for apps on Play Store before, just not all of them)

Suffice to say, I'll be using my Nexus 5 device for quite some time now.
Apple will not have my money, until they come up with something really innovative and "actually useful" (lame stuff, like, Reachability or Digital crown on iwatch do not count :wacky:)

I am glad you liked Nexus 5. I am using Nexus 5 and now in process of flashing 5.0 for my Nexus 5. I had many instance where device used to hang, but that was because of my addiction to custom ROMs and tinkering of device. With stock Android, N5 feels like Rocket. Even my cousin brother's iPhone 4s with no apps, feels bit sluggish for after, after I start using N5.

Just update to Lollipop and have fun.

Update 2..
I am having a good time using my Nexus 5 for now, although the short battery life bugs me. The experience is really smooth on stock Android, for sure.
However, I am currently running Cataclysm ROM (android 5.1) with ElementalX kernel (for longer battery life), with no issues or crashes whatsoever! :)
I have adjusted Titanium Backup to automatically backup my data at midnight everyday, including call logs and messages. So now, I do not worry about my data being backed up or not.

I have also been contemplating upgrading to another Android device, but not yet sure as to which might be the best replacement for the N5...
I just recently bought the One Plus One (using an invite from a fellow TE'ian), but was sorely disappointed with its size - especially after using it with a case. And within two days, I sold it to a dear friend. I was wise enough not to sell off the Nexus 5 beforehand.

So, I reckon the Nexus 5 is going to stay with me for a long time...or at least it seems so ;)

Back