Other Moving to iOS for the first time from Samsung and android - Any advice?

Chhotu uttam

Disciple
So, as the title suggests, I'll be moving to the Apple Ecosystem with the new iPhone 12. However, there is a caveat to it - I used to have a Samsung s8 and it died on me recently, the important data was backed up on samsung cloud but there's no local copy. Further, I'm temporarily using an old Android phone with it's data backed up on Gdrive.
This has led me to think how should I migrate from Android to iOS and that two with different cloud accounts.

That's my main concern but apart from that any other tips and advice which shall make the migration more seemless are also welcomed.

How do you use your device is what matters. Most of the apps are available and the security thing might be abit annoyed for some people where it ask for permissions to be granted to app based on how you configured it. else its pretty same for me at least. only annoying thing is that useless option on the keyboard top with apps, they should include option for changing it to something more useful like numbers instead of those things which not everyone want to use !

You will require a apple id so cloud account comes in bundle, just download drive and gmail if default email app is not suitable for you. I personally use both and its pretty good experience.

Also remember the number of free apps for ios is limited to what we have and for some special reasons, you will miss android for sure like I personally do when their are banks out here which only have a android app version as of now. no issue with more standard banks !

Ah, that makes sense.
But is the migration process as simple as other make it look like? I understand that some apps might be behind a paywall on iOS, but excluding those its pretty much the same?

One more thing, any must have accessories with this phone (I know I need a charger lol)?

Except WhatsApp data, you can move pretty much all data like photos, contacts, etc with move to iOS app.

Except WhatsApp data, you can move pretty much all data like photos, contacts, etc with move to iOS app.
Imagine apple allowing such a software on ios app store to move to android that has been allowed in android. Just the irony and perfect reflection of the difference in walled and unwalled garden.

It is unreliable. I am very keen to switch to iOS from Android but the limit on transferring Whatsapp data is the only deterrent. There were news article that Whatsapp is in the last stages of migrating the messages to a central server so one can access them on any device but no new announcements are made yet.
Unreliable?

It is unreliable. I am very keen to switch to iOS from Android but the limit on transferring Whatsapp data is the only deterrent. There were news article that Whatsapp is in the last stages of migrating the messages to a central server so one can access them on any device but no new announcements are made yet.
My wife recently shifted from ios to android.

It was completely bonkers how restrictive the whole transfer is. I had to take a local backup of iPhone then use some shady software to get to the exact file location within the backup to locate where whatsapp file is saved in ios. After that there is a paid software that is required for android to convert those (proprietary?) chat formats to a format android can read (https://www.wazzapmigrator.com/).

After all this it still showed an error while reading the converted backup on Android. At this point, I was so sick of it that I just told my wife to email individual whatsapp chats which are important and forget about the rest. Thankfully she doesn't have much important whatsapp data like I have, so that was okay.

Now thankfully she will be on android itself. With the google drive backup, whatsapp migration is Zero issues. Just take a daily 4 gigs backup to gdrive and you can reinstall every day without a problem.

In short, yes the whole whatsapp ios and android thing is messed up, not at all smooth and riskfree. Telegram with its cloud is so much better. I wish telegram had gotten famous instead of whatsapp.

The restrictiveness is one of the reason i can't be bother with apple. It was set for me the first time a family member gave me first gen ipod and just transfering songs to and from was a pain.

Back