MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

<CENTER>
p2p.gif
</CENTER>

From there it eventually spread out to P2P networks such as eDonkey2000 and BitTorrent. For those unfamiliar or simply not willing to use the Newsgroups, P2P networks such as BitTorrent helped Episode III become accessible to the mainstream. Countless duplicates of this movie have since spread across computers throughout the world.

The MPAA has been working vigorously to thwart prerelease movies and online distribution. Recently, President George Bush recently signed the "The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005 (FECA)." This Act amends the current copyright law by adding prison time and significant fines for those found guilty of distributing prereleased movies.

Believing such amendments would deter movie pirates, the MPAA had some choice words over the current leakage of Episode III.

“There is no better example of how theft dims the magic of the movies for everyone than this report today regarding BitTorrent providing users with illegal copies of Revenge of the Sith. The unfortunate fact is this type of theft happens on a regular basis on peer to peer networks all over the world," MPAA President and CEO Dan Glickman said in a press release.

As an earlier post on the Slyck forums pointed out, the MPAA blamed BitTorrent as a whole, rather than a specific tracker (or trackers.) BitTorrent trackers act as indexes for the network, since the network itself is not searchable. Once an individual downloads a torrent file from a tracker, the torrent informs the BitTorrent client the necessary information to locate and download the desired media file.

Many feel generalizing BitTorrent in this fashion is unwarranted, as many legitimate uses exist; such as distributing the Linux Operating System.

“Fans have been lined up for days to see Revenge of the Sith. To preserve the quality of movies for fans like these and so many others, we must stop these Internet thieves from illegally trading valuable copyrighted materials on-line."

Or, as General Grievous would say, "Crush them!"

You can read the MPAA's press release here.

Source

Related Articles:<ul>[*]'Star Wars Flu' May Strike IT Productivity
[*]'Star Wars' Fans Jam Web Sites In Anticipation [/list]

Give me a frickin break!!! Notice how there isn't one mention that the movie is breaking all the Boxoffice records.

Dear MPAA,
I have a little news flash for ya. I watched a downloaded copy of the film. Just so I could make up my mind weather or not to spend the $35 it would cost me to take my famly to see it at the big screen. Which I did because it was better than the rest of the trash you have put out so far this year.

Yup these people always have some or the other reason to whine about. This accusation is actually a part of tactics that MPAA is trying to get bit torrent development shut down for good. And like nitnay said they forgot to mention that the movie is breaking records all over. Even then they'll probably say that the movie did not earn enough money.

Damm...even if i had the copy of the movie on my pc....i'd want to watch a movie like Star Wars on the big screen :D
And i guess most ppl even though they might have various movies on their pc....given a choice who want to watch it in a theater.
Also these Hollywood ppl dont realise that there is so much market outside the regular USA n Europe....the reason for piracy in most places is lack of availability.
Damm why cant they have a simultaneous worldwide release??? :mad: :mad:
That itself will curb prelease movie leaks to an extent.

Plus the money they make is never enough according to the MPAA n RIAA...
Stop cribbing that millions are lost!! Which movie studio or audio company is making losses? :no: :no:
The DVD's or VCD's for most english movies(old or new) arent available in India and those which are available or grossly overpriced!! :mad:
Also rnt they cheating the public with those DVD Region stuff?? That means some1 staying in the US was to move to India...wont be able to play DVD's bought in India on his DVD player which will be locked to Region 1!!!
Also DVD's bought in US wont play in DVD players of other regions! How foolish is that! Cant i just buy DVD's on my trip to US/Europe without the fear of them no playing on my DVD player.
Although region free DVD players are available.... isnt the whole concept of DVD Regions a nice ploy to rip the public??? :huh: :huh:
Also a movie being ripped and then being downloaded is a testimony to the popularity of the movie....you'll hardly find 3rd grade rubbish on P2P networks.
Also the less popular movies have less sources/seeds.

Consider this scenario....DDLJ has been running for more than 500 weeks,dont you think ppl have dvd's/vcd's/divx etc version of the movie ,but still ppl do go to watch that movie....
The Bottomline is stop treating us like shit coz we pay good money to watch those movies in the theaters(some ppl watch them over n over).

Back