MSI 12" Netbook - Wind U210 - Is it worth it ?

raymasky

Disciple
Hey guys .. Just saw this awesome deal of the week on ebay. Just wanted to know your comments and if anyone owns one of these ? Also, could you please let me know the number of any MSI dealers in mumbai ...or shops on lamington road where I can get it for less ? I know the battery life of this is just 4 hours as compared to the other netbooks out there ...but the HDMI out port is a wonderful addition + the extra two inches of screen space make a world of difference. I'm just worried about the MSI quality / reliability and the after sales network in Mumbai.

eBay India: MSI Ultra Slim 12" Laptop - Wind U210 - 2 Yr Warranty (item 260550252977 end time 17-Feb-2010 08:00:00 IST)

Wind12 U210 Specifications

AMD Athlon Neo Processor

• Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

• 12” 16:9 Wide Screen Display

• The Very Best Expression of Slim Aesthetic

• Personalized Color Frame with Stylish Texture

• MSI Exclusive EDS (Ergonomic De-Stress) Keyboard

• Advanced Power Saving Technology

• HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) Output

• Built-In High Resolution Mega Pixels Webcam

• 802.11b / g / n Wireless Lan with Bluetooth (optional)

http://www.pcworld.in/product/review/msi-wind12-u210

I think this is great VFM. If you buy it today itself using any of the last week's coupons, you can grab if for 16,750 shipped, which is a steal IMO. MSI is in general considered to be good, but I don't know how's this notebook in particular.

12" screen is ideal for a portable device, 10" looks a bit too small. HDMI port is a great addition too to hook it up to LCD Tvs.

I have had an extremely postive experience with my 10" Wind. I only went to service center once and that was to get my Wifi Card replaced.

Other than that I have had no issues whatsoever. Its now 1.5 Years old.

Its a deal of the week item..and i dont think discount coupons are applicable for deal of the week items. however, you'll be able to use the Valentines day gift codes.But yeah.. looks like total VFM. So does anyone know any MSI distributors in mumbai ...or a place where i can get it cheaper than ebay ?

arun687 said:
I think this is great VFM. If you buy it today itself using any of the last week's coupons, you can grab if for 16,750 shipped, which is a steal IMO. MSI is in general considered to be good, but I don't know how's this notebook in particular.

12" screen is ideal for a portable device, 10" looks a bit too small. HDMI port is a great addition too to hook it up to LCD Tvs.

raymasky said:
Its a deal of the week item..and i dont think discount coupons are applicable for deal of the week items. however, you'll be able to use the Valentines day gift codes.But yeah.. looks like total VFM. So does anyone know any MSI distributors in mumbai ...or a place where i can get it cheaper than ebay ?

Yea but last week's coupons still work for this week's deal of the weak :eek:hyeah: That's why I mentioned that you have time only for today, till 12AM :p

btw if you plan to get it from a proper msi distributor or lamington road it might be cheaper.

i will find out the pricing from the msi distributor in Ahmedabad. i saw it when i went to buy my laptop(also a MSI). its light and well built and the screen is nice and bright--a month back it was selling for 20k.

MSI Wind12 U210 - Review of the MSI Wind12 U210

Here's another review.. it says HD video playback and general graphics performance is not really good ..

From the price point, this discounted price is quite good for the fact that its a 12" incher etc.. but I don't see the advantage of having the HDMI port if the device isnt really capable of playing HD content (at-least).. what other sane use would the HDMI have.. but I didn't see you mention HD playback as something you are looking for .. so this should be good for regular usage.

However, a 12"er which could play Full-HD with ease would have been complete dr0000l ... sadly we'll probably have to wait more for that ..

the u230 comes with a hd3200 chipset. that can play 1080p content easily.it is available for 23500rs with warranty and taxes included.

simoncherian said:
thats where the asus 1201n comes in.

So is the 1201 available in India? if yes, Price?

I have to buy a ULV lappie/netbook by mid-march. Trying to choose between:

- HP 311

- ThinkPad x100e

- Asus 1201

- Ideapad s10-3t

the MSI 230 looks interesting as well but not sure of the overall quality

I am holding out for Asus 1201N as well. From the videos on youtube the 1201N looks like a winner.

Does anyone know when it is being released in India?

I really dont't understand why it has an hdmi port!!?! a smiple dvi port would have been more than enough .. any way this seems like a decent buy if you know these are just meant for surfing the internet and music

Cheers

I am interested in the 1201N because of it's capability to play 1080p videos and HDMI port. It can be used as a Media Player by using the HDMI port to connect to TV.

Ok Guys.....i just checked this thread.

I own a MSI Wind U210x which i had bought from China. The configuration is exactly same as the mentioned on the ebay link. Just that i did not get any OS pre-installed on it.

So if i want to give a gist of my experience with this netbook here they are...
Pros:

Very good screen and 12" really makes a difference vis-a-vis a 10" netbook
Light weight - Since i shuttle between Mumbai and Pune i did not want to have a heavy laptop
HD Ready screen (1366 x 768) and 16:9 layout
Keyboard - The keyboard is really good and key size is like 30-40% bigger than normal keysize.
HDMI Port - I dont know how to use it though. Have not be able to successfully connect netbook to TV using it yet :(
Inbuilt Camera and Mic
3 USB ports

Cons
Low processing power, but you should not expect more as it is a netbook.
720p HD playback sucks - It is really bad on this netbook. Forget playing HD movies with higher bitrate, lower bitrate ones too consume 100% CPU and have jitters and frame drops.
Mine has 3 cell battery which means battery life is not that impressive.
Speaker sound is just ok. I use my external USB powered speakers when watching movie.

On a final note, i am very happy with my MSI Wind U210x as it fulfills my requirements of a good and easy to carry netbook. I can play movies, music, surf internet, use it as overnight download rig, some word processing etc and all this packed is this light weight and compact netbook. :)

I got a MSI X-340, recently-, It has a 13.3inch LED screen which is simply great- it has Intel SU-3500 with 2 GB RAM and plays HD content well enough in its16:9 screen. The system is so frugal- The 4 cell battery gives 3 Hrs of surfing- the installed Win-7 Home is good for my work. Keyboard is not the greatest- but much better than the Netbooks i was using earlier. I think MSI gives value for money.It is highly portable & slim-at the same time one does not have to squint at a piddly 10inch screen.

Thought of buying the U210, but doesn't look like it'll play the 720P videos properly. Can some list out the upcoming netbook models along with the ETA.

Afaik its not available in India. I got lucky coz my aunt was coming down from the US. Its available through 20North for around 30k. Costs around $490 in the US.

Pros

12" screen
ION
2GB/250GB
Win7 Premium
HDMI port
can upgrade RAM to 4GB
Multi touch gestures on the pad

Cons

Fingerprint magnet - really irritates me
Win7 is 32 bit => 4GB is useless
Battery life is around 4 hrs.
Might need to get rid of the shit asus stuff this thing with. The boot time was around a minute because of all the crap that was getting loaded.
Havent tried out any games or the HD movies as my internet connection just plain sucks. :mad:
But am going to try out the toy story 3 1080p trailer and see how it goes, if and when it gets downloaded.

^^ My thoughts exactly. It just sucks - there is no sign of Asus planning to launch it either.

The Asus N10J was being sold in India by Vijay Sales when production/sales was stopped elsewhere.

Back