Laptops MSI Brand Gaming Laptops: Are they good?

Exactly. The gaming market has not been well developed in India and the consumers are pretty ignorant. According to American standards, a gaming laptop always has GTX 765m or above. According to Indian ones, 635m and highest 740m. 755m/750m as in Y510p/HP looks like a luxury. While GTX 765m is only found in Alienware 14 from 1 lakh 20k onwards. This is sad. M11 is no longer sold. Looks like MSI is real this time. Maybe they will sell GTX 860m below 75k.

That's exactly the point! in developed markets, end users, but most importantly, channel partners know what they're selling. This reduces so much effort in our part as vendors to educate that MSI gaming products are one of the best in price/performance. We're planning so far to re-launch 2 new gaming models in India: GT70 and GE60. As of now, we're still working out with channel partners, so stay tuned for further updates.

One word Big NO MSI is getting worst service for laptop only as i have 2 x laptop GT 683R where it has overheating problem and the third party Digcare don't have clue and idea how to fix the troubleshooting problem

they keep telling me he change the motherboard, ram, hard disk and cpu paste and it show same problem peripheral as they lie to us as it was same part and the service center top manger are very lazy and refused to solve the case and never contact tawian direct property

as my laptop warranty got over just one month and they refused to fix it as i am stuck with overheating laptop which run hotter

@rhyansy can to help to fix the laptop where it was overheating as i would like to replacement the new board since my warranty was out and the digcare company are unless

No offence but its the reviews which will matter the most, not CES awards or Red Dot design awards.
We're planning so far to re-launch 2 new gaming models in India: GT70 and GE60. As of now, we're still working out with channel partners, so stay tuned for further updates.
I see that there are sub-models under those two models, so are you planning to launch the entire series of the GT70 and GE60?
BTW what about the MSI exclusive showrooms? There isn't none here anymore.

Here's an example of what I said earlier
They get phased out quickly and replaced by newer models with little upgrade but a much higher price which is not worth at all and where the older models seem to be more VFM.
MSI GE Series GE60 2OE-003US which was available for $999 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152406
has been replaced by
MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 which costs $1249 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152560
Of course there's an improvement in the specs but question is, is it worth it? or rather do we need it?

Here's an example of what I said earlier
MSI GE Series GE60 2OE-003US which was available for $999 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152406
has been replaced by
MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 which costs $1249 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152560
Of course there's an improvement in the specs but question is, is it worth it? or rather do we need it?
I think the first one was on a 300$ discount before selling out so the effective launch price would have been 1300$.

One word Big NO MSI is getting worst service for laptop only as i have 2 x laptop GT 683R where it has overheating problem and the third party Digcare don't have clue and idea how to fix the troubleshooting problem

they keep telling me he change the motherboard, ram, hard disk and cpu paste and it show same problem peripheral as they lie to us as it was same part and the service center top manger are very lazy and refused to solve the case and never contact tawian direct property

as my laptop warranty got over just one month and they refused to fix it as i am stuck with overheating laptop which run hotter

@rhyansy can to help to fix the laptop where it was overheating as i would like to replacement the new board since my warranty was out and the digcare company are unless

I know it's people's instinct to be mad and voice out when things don't go the way it goes. But after service issues happen throughout any other electronic products, any brands, manufacturers face the same problem.
But on with this problem, where did you buy your GT683? As i read your comment, it only runs hot and still works. As for commenting lazy employees at SmartLink, who did you contact with? If you need help to service your laptop, please send MSI India Facebook Club (https://www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub) details for your request.

No offence but its the reviews which will matter the most, not CES awards or Red Dot design awards.

I see that there are sub-models under those two models, so are you planning to launch the entire series of the GT70 and GE60?
BTW what about the MSI exclusive showrooms? There isn't none here anymore.

Yes, we are planning to re-launch in India soon. It all depends on when we can finalize with our talks with channel partners. Will definitely update you once we get any official dates for comeback. Thank you for the support!

I think the first one was on a 300$ discount before selling out so the effective launch price would have been 1300$.

Yes, end users, but also our channel partners always argue with the pricing issues when there are transitions. Old models get discounted but people always compare apples with oranges. GE60 2OE @ $1,300 and GE60 2PC @ $1,249 should be the right comparison. The new model is actually $50 cheaper even though it has all new upgrades and new gaming features, while also having a new aluminum body to boot.
In the US, it's fairly easy to plan everything ahead from product launching to product transition with pricing set and discounted at the end. BUT it's so difficult to install this mentality in most developing countries.[DOUBLEPOST=1396063768][/DOUBLEPOST]One more thing to add, when comparing US prices in NewEgg or Amazon, please take note that listed prices are without 12% tax and warranty at all. So these costs add up to prices launched in other markets which includes these already.

Yes, end users, but also our channel partners always argue with the pricing issues when there are transitions. Old models get discounted but people always compare apples with oranges. GE60 2OE @ $1,300 and GE60 2PC @ $1,249 should be the right comparison. The new model is actually $50 cheaper even though it has all new upgrades and new gaming features, while also having a new aluminum body to boot.
In the US, it's fairly easy to plan everything ahead from product launching to product transition with pricing set and discounted at the end. BUT it's so difficult to install this mentality in most developing countries.[DOUBLEPOST=1396063768][/DOUBLEPOST]One more thing to add, when comparing US prices in NewEgg or Amazon, please take note that listed prices are without 12% tax and warranty at all. So these costs add up to prices launched in other markets which includes these already.
Don't compare apples with MSI, apples will lose. :p

I know it's people's instinct to be mad and voice out when things don't go the way it goes. But after service issues happen throughout any other electronic products, any brands, manufacturers face the same problem.
But on with this problem, where did you buy your GT683? As i read your comment, it only runs hot and still works. As for commenting lazy employees at SmartLink, who did you contact with? If you need help to service your laptop, please send MSI India Facebook Club (https://www.facebook.com/MsiIndiaClub) details for your request.

i contact with raja at digcare where he is service mange in Chennai and he always keep excuse and delay about the laptop issue past 2-3 month and not able to solve the laptop due to overheating issue

Yes, end users, but also our channel partners always argue with the pricing issues when there are transitions.
I think you guys, the brand and the channel partners, think about the money too much. Not saying that its not how business works (it does) but is this really more important than customers positive feedback?
You have a very good chance of beating every other company but only if you improve (by "improvement" I don't mean latest tech or top-tier specs but rather the product in itself) your products here for the Indian market and your after-sales service. A very poor aftersales service is one thing which everyone hates, even if the product is great.
Let me give you an example of a very good after-sales service. I'm copy/pasting an old post of mine:
I once made a post in one forum (PM me if you would like to know the name) regarding an Acer laptop of a friend of mine. The laptop model is Aspire 5750G. There was a problem with the battery and overheating issue. In that forum I didn't really criticized Acer. I just happened to say something like "A friend has this laptop and is facing problems just after a few months of usage, The problems are bla..bla..bla..". Then an Acer rep. suddenly popped out of nowhere! And told me to post about the problems on its Facebook's page and that Acer is doing its best to offer the best services to its customers. So I went to its FB's page and posted it in detail. It took some 2-3 days of discussion online about the problems, my addresses etc. then on the 16th of June they sent one of its engg. to my place. The engg. checked the problem, opened up the laptop (please keep in mind that ONLY an official rep. of a brand or Acer for the matter can open a product while in warranty. Once you break the "Warranty Void if Seal is broken" sticker, your warranty will be automatically void regardless of the reason/s). and did some cleaning and told me to contact them if i still face any overheating problem with the laptop. Regarding the battery he gave me some pointers to check and confirm the problem.
I used the laptop the whole night and still faced the problems. So i contacted them again. Another engg. came to my place and thoroughly checked the laptop and told me that it is likely the motherboard's problem. So he registered the complaint again, noted down the laptop and motherboard details and told me that they would replace the motherboard. It took them a while to find the motherboard (it's an out-of-production model btw). Finally on the 20th the guy came with a new board and replaced it. Overheating problem was solved!
biggrin.gif

That left the battery problem. Acc. to Acer rep. the battery should give at least 2.5 hrs but i got just <2hrs in normal use and approx. 45-50 mins. when gaming.
But sadly i went to Gurgaon for the BYOC from 22nd-24th June and gave the laptop back to my friend immediately after that and at present the laptop is in some other place outside Delhi so there is no way that i can get the laptop's battery be checked. However I believe that if the laptop was with me right now Acer would not let me down. Also Acer's reps. are very friendly to talk to. Even the head of its service centre here.
So a very good work to Acer for taking a prompt action.
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure about the service in other places but for people living in Delhi/NCR area i recommend Acer laptops for its very good after-sales service.
If there was a rating system i would give Acer an A+
An Ace for Acer!
PS: we have 3 old Acer laptops with us right now. And I'm not a fanboy.

I also a had a negative experience with HP aftersales service. I'll repost it here when I find my old post.

i contact with raja at digcare where he is service mange in Chennai and he always keep excuse and delay about the laptop issue past 2-3 month and not able to solve the laptop due to overheating issue
This is really unacceptable. At least they should have given honest answers if it's irreparable! Please email me all the issues (laptop picture, serial number, overheating problem statements) . I'll help you find a solution.

I think you guys, the brand and the channel partners, think about the money too much. Not saying that its not how business works (it does) but is this really more important than customers positive feedback?
You have a very good chance of beating every other company but only if you improve (by "improvement" I don't mean latest tech or top-tier specs but rather the product in itself) your products here for the Indian market and your after-sales service. A very poor aftersales service is one thing which everyone hates, even if the product is great.
Let me give you an example of a very good after-sales service. I'm copy/pasting an old post of mine:

I also a had a negative experience with HP aftersales service. I'll repost it here when I find my old post.
Thank you for sharing. This example really set standards.

Honest answer, well as the laptop was sent it back to Bangalore Digcare authorize service center which it was 3 month ago for troubleshooting, as they could not sort the troubleshooting issue due to overheating issue even they try fresh new thermal paste and it does not help, as another service manger is telling us that the computer is infection by virus and slow speed due to overheating, serious i never hear the humor what kind of attitude is talking like that.. and my warrnty was over unless they are fool me for waiting time about the warranty till expire

and check your PM

Honest answer, well as the laptop was sent it back to Bangalore Digcare authorize service center which it was 3 month ago for troubleshooting, as they could not sort the troubleshooting issue due to overheating issue even they try fresh new thermal paste and it does not help, as another service manger is telling us that the computer is infection by virus and slow speed due to overheating, serious i never hear the humor what kind of attitude is talking like that.. and my warrnty was over unless they are fool me for waiting time about the warranty till expire

and check your PM

Hi Arun, I will help you find an honest reply from MSI HQ service team. There is no assurance that this laptop can be repaired or parts can still be replaced as this is really an old model already. Hope you can understand I will try my best.[DOUBLEPOST=1396324467][/DOUBLEPOST]Back to the original topic, please give only relevant feedback about MSI gaming laptops to help in re-launching in India. It will help all lot on how to plan this out in our part. Thank you!

Last edited:
GS60 is still not out yet globally. Might be the next big thing if all is well in its launching!

please give only relevant feedback about MSI gaming laptops to help in re-launching in India. It will help all lot on how to plan this out in our part. Thank you!
I've given some of my opinions, not sure if fellow members here agree to my views though.
just remember that India is a price-conscious market. very.
And if there's a model which has a 1080p res (even 1600*900 will do for me) screen, 8GB RAM, a TB of storage, decent videocard, 15.6" , DOS please (i dont want any bloatware in my system) and priced well I would buy it. US specs/pricing of the GS60 is overkill for me.
BTW back then in 2010 in a gaming event MSI gave a whopping discount of 5k-10k if laptops were bought during the event. How about doing something like that? :D

I've given some of my opinions, not sure if fellow members here agree to my views though.
just remember that India is a price-conscious market. very.
And if there's a model which has a 1080p res (even 1600*900 will do for me) screen, 8GB RAM, a TB of storage, decent videocard, 15.6" , DOS please (i dont want any bloatware in my system) and priced well I would buy it. US specs/pricing of the GS60 is overkill for me.
BTW back then in 2010 in a gaming event MSI gave a whopping discount of 5k-10k if laptops were bought during the event. How about doing something like that? :D

Everywhere it is price conscious, and it has been cost cutting for manufacturers for a very long time except for maybe a few. SO low price = low quality.
MSI is trying to change this by offering of value BUT for a reasonable price. A products that is good has its value and a justified price. This is what is happening in most developed countries already as users know that not everything CHEAP is good.
As for event promotions, MSI will of course do this aspect once we were able to reach a deal with potential channel partners.

Everywhere it is price conscious,
Let me rephrase that, Indians are the most price-conscious people in the world. lol. :p
A fine example, Indians buying phones (rebranded-chinese phones) from local brands like Micromax, Xolo, Karbonn etc etc only because they offer better VFM on paper and then getting screwed over by their after-sales service instead of buying reliable phones from reputed brands like Sony, Samsung, Nokia etc (I want to add that while these brands also may not always give the best after-sales service, they still give much better than the ones managed by the local brands).
SO low price = low quality.
No, that's not what I meant. Since we are talking about "gaming laptops" let me speak from my point of view on that subject only.
Is there any "gaming laptop" for under 50k INR? No, right? Laptops in this range simply come with a "above avg." specs which includes a videocard and since there isn't anything better than this people call it a "gaming" or rather to be more precise, "laptop for gaming". Now the "gaming laptop", like I mentioned in one of earlier posts overkill laptops with overkill specs and features which we do not need are being sold at overkill rates. That, in my opinion, is the main problem. Gaming laptops do not have to be cheap nor use lower quality/tier components. But they need to be manufactured and marketed properly according to our needs. What are we supposed to do when they are being sold for over lacs of rupees with components/features which we do not even need? This is the main reason why people buy PC's instead of "gaming laptops" (not "laptops for gaming").
Let me explain this component by component.
1. Processor, not everyone needs/wants an i7. You can use i3 (will explain later) and i5 also. TBH I still feel that the Sandybridge family still offer the best price/performance ratio. There is little improvement from Sandybridge to Ivybridge and Ivybridge to Haswell. If a gaming laptop which I like use a Sandybridge I would still buy it even now. No kidding. Fact is most people buy the latest components for bragging rights.
2. RAM. Most gaming laptops come in a whopping 16GB of memory. 4GB is Okay, 8GB is good. 16GB is too much. This is one of the areas which I feel is not necessary at all for a majority of the people.
3. Another silly mistake which these brands make is the memory size of the videocard. When will they stop this marketing gimmick I don't know. But they need to stop screaming "2GB GRAPHICS CARD 2 GB GRAPHICS CARD!!". 2GB videocard in a laptop which has a display resolution of 1366*768 yeah right. If possible reduce the size to 1GB to cut costs (if it can).
4. Display, you cannot call a laptop a "gaming laptop" if it has a 1366*768 res. even if you put in the GTX TITAN in it. It won't help. Min. display should be 1600*900. Full HD 1080p would be great for the more expensive model. Please don't even think of 2K on laptops.
5. Storage. If you look at the general laptop market you'll see that the more expensive ones come with SSD's in 32GB, 40GB, 60GB etc (just random nos.). I'm not sure if that capacity would be enough. And gaming laptops also have SSD's. SSD's are good to have no doubt but do we need it? Assuming we use the SSD's for only our office and programs and softwares where are we supposed to store our games? And AAA games nowadays come in alarming 25GB+. eg. BF4, MW3. And even if a brand includes an SSD of, say, 240GB, they are sure to do it a cost and a very expensive one at that. So now then is it worth it? I'm happy using a 5900RPM mechanical disk. But sure I would like to have a 7200RPM's in a gaming laptop. As for the storage capacity, let min. be 500GB upgradeable (read customizable) to 1TB. For more storage one can simply use an external drive. Thats it for the storage.
6. Videocard. Not everyone needs a Titan or SLI-cards inside it.
7. Features. Includes bluray drive, imb4 keyboard illumination, the LAN port of one company (name which I dont remember) are all extras. They are not MUST-HAVES. Instead of this I'd like to see hotkeys on the keyboard (like in the MSI GX640). As for the illumination if its only going to add to the cost imo one color should do.
Side note: If you guys know the Razer Blade well you'll know that it does NOT have a LAN port. It comes only with a wifi for connectivity. The biggest fault with the Blade is that absence of LAN connectivity in a "gaming laptop".
8. Design. Design is also very important. Just don't turn it into an alien/robot. If i were to buy a non-gaming laptop I would surely buy it based on the looks. I'm a sucker for good design. And It should NOT be bulky please. I'd hate to carry a 3KG laptop. Asus's ROG laptops are friggin' heavy! And encased in real aluminium sounds sweet.
9. Warranty and Aftersales service. 2 year warranty should be given with extended warranty at a cost.
See? You don't need to construct a gaming laptop from lower components. You only need to use the right components at the right price. In short the components should be able to compliment each other.
And please don't forget the "customization" part.
Example for this expanation, the Motorola Moto G. 'nuff said. :)
MSI is trying to change this by offering of value BUT for a reasonable price. A products that is good has its value and a justified price. This is what is happening in most developed countries already as users know that not everything CHEAP is good..
Of course its not good. Tech and reviews sites should be working in educating the masses in this field as they can get attention rapidly but that's not happening at the moment. People are still going for el-cheapo stuffs. And this is made worse by shops selling them. Sigh.
Anyway, why don't you ask these in various forums and see how people respond? My opinions might differ from their's.

PS: I will add more when I can. too lazy to make a long post. >_<

Last edited:
Back