BUILD QUALITY: 4/5
PERFORMANCE: 4/5
SPECIFICATIONS: 4.5/5
BATTERY LIFE: 4/5
VALUE FOR MONEY: 5/5
OVERALL: 4.5/5

SPECIFICATIONS:

MODEL: MSI CR-400X-043IN

PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE 2 DUO T6500 @2.1GHZ (Penryn 45nm)

RAM: 2GB DDR2 800MHZ

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE 8200M – 512MB [256MB VRAM + 256MB (SYSTEM SHARED)]

HARD DRIVE: WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB

SCREEN: 14 INCH LED BACKLIT DISPLAY (1366x768--WIDESCREEN 16:9 ASPECT RATIO)

BATTERY: 6 CELL LITHIUM ION. AC ADAPTER-65 Watts, 19 Volts

I/O PORTS:
Monitor (VGA) x 1
USB x 3 (USB version 2.0)
Mic-in x 1
Headphone-out/ Line-out x 1
Internal Microphone x 1
RJ11 x 1 (optional)
RJ45 x 1
Card Reader x 1 (4 in 1, MS / MS Pro/ SD/ MMC)

COMMUNICATION PORTS:

56K Fax/MODEM – Optional(my laptop has it)
LAN - 10/100 Mb
Wireless LAN - 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth - Yes
WEBCAM: 1.3 MP (CMOS)

AUDIO: REALTEK ALC 662 GR WTH 2 STEREO SPEAKERS

DIMENSIONS:

345mm (W) x 220.5 (D) x 17~40 (H) mm
Weight 2.2 kg with 6-cell battery

CASE CONTENTS:
DSC00281.jpg
DSC00282.jpg
DSC00283.jpg
DSC00294.jpg
DSC00295.jpg

On unpacking the carton, which was well constructed and offered adequate protection to the laptop during transit, there was the laptop, lithium ion battery, the power cord and the AC adapter, the instruction manual (pretty comprehensive), the quick start guide, warranty card and booklet and the driver disk. It came with a nice two-tone carry bag but I exchanged it and opted for the backpack by shelling out some extra cash.

BUILD QUALITY:
DSC00285.jpg
DSC00286.jpg
DSC00287.jpg
DSC00288.jpg
DSC00289.jpg
DSC00290.jpg
DSC00291.jpg
DSC00296.jpg
DSC00297.jpg

For a dirt cheap laptop, I found the MSI CR-400x to be pretty solid, it does look delicate but trust me it is well built and can take a few knocks. The build quality is way better than the DELL Inspiron 15, 14 and most of the Acer laptops. The paint job is excellent and it does look like some of the COMPAQ laptops out there however unlike the Compaq laptops it isn’t glossy and hence isn’t prone to finger prints or smudges. The area around the LCD has a matte finish and the area around the keyboard has a silver somewhat glossy finish. This lends the laptop an executive look. However it isn’t as well built as my Sony Vaio or my dad’s Dell Latitude. But at MSI’s asking price for the laptop it would be insane on my part to expect anything more. Its dimensions make it very compact and smaller than some other 14 inchers (sony vaio and dell inspiron 14) and with a combined weight of approximately 2.2 Kgs, it is quite light and that makes it an excellent portable device.The power adapter which is made by delta eletronics(the same ones who make those insane cooling fans!)is small and is very similar in dimensions to the ones available with a netbook and it remains warm even with heavy usage. The laptop does not get hot. The dvd-writer with the laptop is a bit noisy but all in all the laptop remains cool throughout and offers extremely silent operation. I have no complaints with the build quality and cooling. The keyboard is a joy to work on –opinions may vary for others—I don’t like the chiclet styled keyboards with sony at all. Stay away if you have huge hands. The feel of the keyboard was a bit mushy but that’s how I like my keyboards! The lcd offers good clarity and excellent legibility under direct sunlight.

PERFORMANCE:
DSC00298.jpg

CPU-Z Screenshots :
Capture2.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture.jpg

The processor is a core 2 duo T6500@ 2.1 GHz with 800 MHz fsb and is very fast when it comes to resource intensive tasks such as video encoding with TMPGEnc 4.0 and audio encoding with DBpower or Audacity. Working with Photoshop CS 3 was fun with this responsive laptop. Daily chores with Microsoft Office as well 720p/1080p full Hd playback was totally stutter free even when I connected it to my Dell 24 inch G2410. THIS CPU DOES NOT SUPPORT INTEL’S VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGY. The cheapest, low end cpu virtualization supporting Intel among laptops is the core 2 duo T6670 @ 2.2 GHz and is only found in dell vostro laptops and dell studio laptops.(do please correct me if I am wrong!) people looking for virtualization with not more than 30—350k to spare should consider AMD based laptops for their virtualization support.
The GPU, Geforce 8200M isn’t meant for gaming. New titles won’t run on it although Call Of Duty: 4 Modern Warfare offered a very smooth and playable experience with the lowest settings. It was fun when i dug out my folder with the games of yester-years – mech warrior 4, nfs most wanted and hot pursuit 2, Porsche Unleashed and Unreal Tournament 2003(with bots!). I guess Doom3, Half-life 2 and FEAR would play pretty well on this system. The aero interface with Windows 7 works smoothly and this GPU supports Nvidia’s CUDA and can be used for GPU enabled playback for 1080p content. Cyberlink’s Media Show Expresso supported the GPU for video encoding.
The WD 250 Gb sata hard drive is silent and offers good, quick transfer speeds.
The 2 Gb of ram installed by default operated at 800 Mhz and aided in the smooth operation of the laptop. I would be equipping the laptop with another 2 gb of 800 Mhz Corsair ram as soon as Lynx India ships it. The laptop comes with wifi and Bluetooth and i am glad to say the receiver latches onto signals pretty well (tried the wifi at work)
The speakers are louder than most laptops I have laid my hands on but the sounds are not that clear. I could hear it over the din of the traffic in the rickshaw on my way to work with Dani California, Californication and Suck My Kiss by RHCP (Big Fan Of RHCP!) Playback through headphones was a satisfying experience.
The 1.3 mp webcam was lag free in its operation but using it with yahoo messenger resulted in lag at times but I would blame my pathetic sify broadband connection for that.

BATTERY LIFE:
This is where the laptop simply amazes me! I got 3 hours and 16 minutes today from a full charge(100%) to 18% and I saw the last episode of Top Gear’s Season 14 completely, played around with a few 720p music videos for about half an hour browsed the net using the Ethernet port for about half an hour and was using Microsoft Word to type out this review with Foobar 2000 playing songs at the same time. This was with the screen brightness set to 95 % in Windows 7 Ultimate. I reconfirmed the battery life by charging it again and saw the Bourne Identity (720p) , the entire movie for 2 hours and then I saw a few tom and jerry clips in the hard drive for about 20 minutes and still the battery meter showed me 32% of battery life remaining.
With judicious usage I guess I could eke out close to 4 hours from this laptop. Not bad at all!

CONCLUSION:

The Bill:
DSC00284.jpg

The laptop sleeve I bought for 300rs(genuine toshiba sleeve sold by HCL)
DSC00299.jpg
DSC00300.jpg

the laptop backpack I bought:
DSC00280.jpg

This laptop retails for Rs.28,500.(MSI DEALERSHIP PRICE-AHMEDABAD) I got it for Rs.27,500 by bargaining hard and stating that the recession and pay cuts had forced me to opt for this laptop over the superior Dells and Sony Vaios!
MSI’s service center has guys who are kind and responsive unlike Asus and try to fix the laptop within 24 hours or a maximum of 2 days if you take it to them. Sony offers 6 months of warranty on its batteries and power adapters in comparison MSI offers a full 2 year warranty on the entire laptop which includes the battery and adapter.
I am glad I picked this laptop up – it is a steal and offers excellent performance, excellent features and excellent battery life @ Rs.27,500. Bottom Line ::: A Must Buy !!

PS--

This arrived yesterday from Lynx-India.2Gb Corsair DDR2 800Mhz Ram with timings of 5-5-5-18.
This laptop comes with 2gb of ddr2 800mhz ram made by Elpida with timings of 5-5-5-18 by default.Now with 4gb of ram the laptops has picked up speed in certain demanding applications but i just noticed a drop in battery life about 5-10 minutes have been shaved off the usual battery backup time.

get the ram upgraded from the service center upgrading it urself will void the warranty

the laptop has 2 years of warranty i confirmed it with the service center when i went to get the ram upgraded and it comes with a very chic leather carry case but i opted for a good backpack.

it comes with a 14 inch led backlit display according to the laptop manual and the specifications on the website.

i dont know about buygamingstuff but i got mine from the official MSI dealership in ahmedabad. also contact ur local top notch infotronix distributor the same people who distribute zebronics products.

thnx a lot 4 the info , will they charge anything from me.pls reply as i hv to upgrade my cousin lappy so info rquired . he is also hving the msi. thnx in advance

dragon said:
Hello sunny27, do you know any dealer in Mumbai?
I have pmed buygamingstuff, and acc to him the laptop has LCD screen not LED one, carries 1 year warranty from Priya limited and doesnt come with carry case!
Can you please inform me the price of CR420 and CX420, thanks

how can the warranty vary in states , so does this have warranty of 1yr or 2 yrs ?

also quoted from another site

The CR400X T42 is barely adequate for watching movies on as the speakers are very basic. Watching youtube type videos is fine, but TV shows or movies need to be watched elsewhere, unless you have external speakers. The sound is too quiet and tinny to enjoy music or movies, but it is fine for Internet browsing.

i found it to be loud. you are expecting a lot from something which is pure vfm when it comes to performance.

use vlc player to get the most out of your speakers.

the laptop has 2 years warranty(it is the same all over India)

do please check the images in the review - there is a warranty card which mentions 2 years warranty. you can verify with msi's national toll free number - 1800-2000-004

^^read the review

bluetooth 2.1 with edr and which laptop/netbook comes without wifi? without wifi what's the point of a laptop or a netbook?

i run cs source at 1024x768 and get 35-45 fps.no lag.

cs 1.6 would give me a lot more fps- i guess around 60-80 or more bcoz its an old game.

i get 35-45 fps with nfs most wanted with all settings at high using the widescreen hack.

call of duty 1/2 and united offensive also offer more than 40fps with high settings.

i use windows 7 ultimate in my laptop and the drivers are all updated to latest ones through windows update.

sunny27 said:
2.same config with a dual core t4200 @rs.24750

3.same config with a core 2 duo t6400 @rs.26800

4.same config with a core 2 duo t6500 @rs.27500 same as the one reviewed here

Next doubt.

The difference between the T4200& the T6400 is 1 MB L2 cache, and the T6400 & the T6500 is .1 GHz.

Worth 2k & .7k ? They are otherwise identical penryns

Isnt it better to invest in 2GB more RAM :ashamed:

Whaat?
I was quoted 26K for the Core Duo with No OS

28.5K for the Core Duo with OS ( 7 home basic)

29.5k for the C2D without OS
And these are from an MSI showroom.
If you can get us a better deal, I'm in for one :hap2:

well jus wait for a bit , the cr400 is discontinued i believe , sunny27 might be able to get us i3 MSI 420s for 30 kish or sub. stocks due to arrive this week.

Out of curiosity, this should be good enough for peopl who wants to surf+ watch movies with decent battery life+ the usual connectivity and with a dvd drive for about 20k or is there something else that I can take a look at. What about msi's warranty?

Its exactly 5 months since i got my CR400 laptop.Running fine.only down part is its touchpad which is a pain to use.No issues other than that.Feels much reliable than HP and compaq.

Me worked in a HP service centre.LOL

Back