Budget 90k+ MSI laptop - yay or nay

nsas02

Disciple
I'm currently looking to buy a laptop. Usage would be office work, watching movies and some gaming (all latest titles). Budget around 1-1.2L max (Lower the better).

I've short-listed MSI Alpha 15 with RX 6600m GPU. This is an all AMD laptop with good battery back-up and nice performance for the price.

Why haven't I short-listed any 3060 Laptops?

Yes I did. Primary concern that i had was 6 Gb of vram - would be sufficient at the moment, how about on long-run? I did see on YouTube that some games used almost entire 6GB of vram.
Other issue was that the ones that fitted my budget had the 3060 with lowest spec (read 80-90W). And the higher powered ones were well above my budget or around (1.25-1.4L).

The MSI laptop that I've short-listed have very good reviews on Flipkart.

Now, I'm well aware of the horror stories of MSI RMA. Should I go ahead with this laptop, taking the risk? Or should I pass this? My primary location is Chennai. How is MSI RMA in Chennai?

I just wish no-one visits any service centers for RMA.

MSI is a no with respect to after sales bit on laptop reliability as well.

I'll recommend HP Omen with R7 5800H + 3060 for 105k from FK. It has a 100W 3060 based on what I heard (without dynamic boost). No MUX switch though, but still a good laptop overall. It makes Legion 5 pro not worth the extra 30-35k for me at least.

Thanks guys. How about 6Gb of vram? Would that be enough? I'll be holding my laptop for many years (my current Inspiron is 11 years old) How would this fare against long run?
@OMEGA44-XT @Kaleen Bhaiya @bssunilreddy
How about Asus ? i have a specific lap in my mind. id Asus ia good, I'll go with that

Last edited:
Thanks guys. How about 6Gb of vram? Would that be enough? I'll be holding my laptop for many years (my current Inspiron is 11 years old) How would this fare against long run?
@OMEGA44-XT @Kaleen Bhaiya @bssunilreddy
How about Asus ? i have a specific lap in my mind. id Asus ia good, I'll go with that
Some games at 1080p ultra are getting close to hitting 6GB VRAM, but not like you have any other option. 50k extra for RTX 3070 doesn't seem worth it IMO.

Asus G15 is decent, but are you getting a good deal on it? I saw some Asus G15 with 3060 with 70% sRGB poor response time panels.

Last edited:
Some games at 1080p ultra are getting close to hitting 6GB VRAM, but not like you have any other option. 50k extra for RTX 3070 doesn't seem worth it IMO.

Asus G15 is decent, but are you getting a good deal on it? I saw some Asus G15 with 3060 with 70% sRGB poor response time panels.
Asus one not with 3060. I'm planning for Strix All AMD Advantage Edition. I understand thats its beyond my budget, but hope it lasts for few more years.

Last edited:
Asus one not with 3060. I'm planning for Strix All AMD Advantage Edition. I understand thats its beyond my budget, but hope it lasts for few more years.
For me, that is still something that's not a great value. Jarrod Tech has reviewed it, so check his review & judge for yourself.

MSI isn't good. Personal experience my laptop GPU blew up in my laptop (no fire, just a capacitor popped). BIOS is BAD and After sales if WORST. Better would be Lenovo or Acer.

Watching this with a smile on an MSI. No issues for me. I don't think it's like the bad picture some are painting.

lol i have been mining on my sword with 3060 since feb. Should have caught fire according to some people here

Proud owner of a MSI Gl-63-8RD, Completed three years still going rock solid. Use it for my shows with CPU & Gpu going 90-95% with two display outputs .

Going by the posts here, the YES for MSI products seem to be from people who haven't had to go to the service center or send it in for RMA. You could get lucky and never have to ever visit the service center but after spending over a lakh I'd like to have peace of mind.

Back