MSI warranty /service is a big farce

Santy

Disciple
Just wanted to pen down my recent ordeal with MSI service. Apologies for a long rant but I guess it is interesting nevertheless and I feel prospective buyers should know.

Problem
Had a B450 Tomahalk Max mobo under warranty (more than an year left). It stopped working all of a sudden. Did all troubleshooting, replaced CMOS battery etc but it would not just boot up.

Reaching out
Tried calling Mumbai service centre several times on phone but nobody would pickup. After 4 days of persistent attempts, finally got through someone. Since my home was too far away from the service centre I decided to courier it.
Eventhough it was intercity delivery, I packed well in original box and sent it to them on Aug 17, 2022. (I have got good feedback on my packing skills!)

Follow ups
After usual follow ups, on 22nd Aug they asked me to fill up some "google online form" which I did.
Apparently the one at Dadar is just a collection point, they cannot even diagnose it leave alone service. They had to send it to Delhi for service.
Once again I had to follow up several times, whenever they responded they said it is still at MSI repair house.
I called up customer care who kept saying they could not see job history and they have "no idea' about the status and I should wait it out.
On Sept 13, after 23 days of submitting it, they said the item is received from service and I can come and collect it.
I asked if they can courier it for which I can pay but they refused. So I arranged to pick it up.
No RMA /job sheet, no QC, no confirmation- nothing was sent to me.

Post receipt
Since I already had plans to upgrade the mobo and knowing how painfully slow these guys are, I got myself a new B550 board.
Anyone would know how painful it is to test the RMAed board. I have to remove all parts from new mobo, install them on the old board, test it, then again remove all components, put them on new mobo not to forget I had to get thermal paste, etc.
Hence I kept it in the box in sealed condition. Then when I got some time I put it up for sale and after few bumps I sold it off.
The buyer took some time to test if after receiving and finally informed me that it ain't working. Video was taken to confirm connections were in place. Since the buyer is knowledgeable in PC assembling, it was concluded that board is faulty.
I was quite shocked. I took it back, offered a full refund and apologised to the buyer.

MSI reveals their attitude
I contacted them stating that the board received ain't working. Initially they asked me to send videos and I had shared the ones sent by buyer.
But they kept asking for different videos showing different stuff. I told I cannot do it again as its a painful process.
Told them I will send it again at my cost for them to diagnose it. If it works I will take it back, if it doesn't they can fix it or replace it.
They were very adamant in accepting the case. And thereafter they started pushing me back.

They retrieved the service history and told me that there was a "mild damage" in the corner so they tagged it as CID (Customer Induced Damage).
Then I got the shocking news that the board was never repaired in first place for above reason! How cruel! Not only they did not fix it, they did not say a word about it when they returned it to me. I had in all faith assumed (which was a big mistake) that it was fixed.
Forgetting all that, I asked how they can help me now. They kept saying that the board was damaged by user so warranty is void.

I told them when it stopped working, there was no damage (as it was never removed from PC case) and it might have caused during transit.
Also the damage was incredibly small, at the edge of the board, outside the screw area. See pic.
When I protested, they asked me to send them photos of the board taken 'before' sending for RMA which I did.
Then they highlighted a corner of the photo and stated that there are user caused "scratches" on the board hence RMA cannot be accepted.
I then used isopropoly alcohol to gently clean that area and it was easily gone. Have attached before/ after pics.
They acknowledged that it was indeed dirt but again circled back to their original point of refusal.

Pic showing 'scratches' and corner damage.
Mind you, it is highly zoomed in. You can check the size of screw/ holes to get a sense of scale.

IMG_20221202_095320_copy_1350x3000_copy_540x1200.jpg

Pic after cleaning. Scratches gone

IMG_20221202_095834_copy_1350x3000_copy_540x1200.jpg

Questions
So here it is, a least customer centric company trying to do big business in the country.
Why a big company like MSI has such a pathetic customer support who are not reachable?
Why they have a laughably poor RMA process and why they have no idea about status of the same?
Why they took 23 days to return it doing absolutely nothing on it?
Why they did not inform me that it was never serviced?
Even if its damaged, why they did not diagnose the actual fault? It could have been a minor issue?
Why they did not offer to fix it atleast on 'chargeable' basis? As long as it is feasible I would have agreed to it.
Why they keep looking for an excuse to disregard a genuine warranty claim? (like the scratches claim)
Why would they explicitly tell me that I can do whatever I want (post on forums or go to court)?

I can afford to lose the value of this product- no big deal.
But just keep in mind about the so called MSI warranty and service when you set out to buy. YMMV ofcourse.

Just wanted to pen down my recent ordeal with MSI service. Apologies for a long rant but I guess it is interesting nevertheless and I feel prospective buyers should know.

Problem
Had a B450 Tomahalk Max mobo under warranty (more than an year left). It stopped working all of a sudden. Did all troubleshooting, replaced CMOS battery etc but it would not just boot up.

Reaching out
Tried calling Mumbai service centre several times on phone but nobody would pickup. After 4 days of persistent attempts, finally got through someone. Since my home was too far away from the service centre I decided to courier it.
Eventhough it was intercity delivery, I packed well in original box and sent it to them on Aug 17, 2022. (I have got good feedback on my packing skills!)

Follow ups
After usual follow ups, on 22nd Aug they asked me to fill up some "google online form" which I did.
Apparently the one at Dadar is just a collection point, they cannot even diagnose it leave alone service. They had to send it to Delhi for service.
Once again I had to follow up several times, whenever they responded they said it is still at MSI repair house.
I called up customer care who kept saying they could not see job history and they have "no idea' about the status and I should wait it out.
On Sept 13, after 23 days of submitting it, they said the item is received from service and I can come and collect it.
I asked if they can courier it for which I can pay but they refused. So I arranged to pick it up.
No RMA /job sheet, no QC, no confirmation- nothing was sent to me.

Post receipt
Since I already had plans to upgrade the mobo and knowing how painfully slow these guys are, I got myself a new B550 board.
Anyone would know how painful it is to test the RMAed board. I have to remove all parts from new mobo, install them on the old board, test it, then again remove all components, put them on new mobo not to forget I had to get thermal paste, etc.
Hence I kept it in the box in sealed condition. Then when I got some time I put it up for sale and after few bumps I sold it off.
The buyer took some time to test if after receiving and finally informed me that it ain't working. Video was taken to confirm connections were in place. Since the buyer is knowledgeable in PC assembling, it was concluded that board is faulty.
I was quite shocked. I took it back, offered a full refund and apologised to the buyer.

MSI reveals their attitude
I contacted them stating that the board received ain't working. Initially they asked me to send videos and I had shared the ones sent by buyer.
But they kept asking for different videos showing different stuff. I told I cannot do it again as its a painful process.
Told them I will send it again at my cost for them to diagnose it. If it works I will take it back, if it doesn't they can fix it or replace it.
They were very adamant in accepting the case. And thereafter they started pushing me back.

They retrieved the service history and told me that there was a "mild damage" in the corner so they tagged it as CID (Customer Induced Damage).
Then I got the shocking news that the board was never repaired in first place for above reason! How cruel! Not only they did not fix it, they did not say a word about it when they returned it to me. I had in all faith assumed (which was a big mistake) that it was fixed.
Forgetting all that, I asked how they can help me now. They kept saying that the board was damaged by user so warranty is void.

I told them when it stopped working, there was no damage (as it was never removed from PC case) and it might have caused during transit.
Also the damage was incredibly small, at the edge of the board, outside the screw area. See pic.
When I protested, they asked me to send them photos of the board taken 'before' sending for RMA which I did.
Then they highlighted a corner of the photo and stated that there are user caused "scratches" on the board hence RMA cannot be accepted.
I then used isopropoly alcohol to gently clean that area and it was easily gone. Have attached before/ after pics.
They acknowledged that it was indeed dirt but again circled back to their original point of refusal.

Pic showing 'scratches' and corner damage.
Mind you, it is highly zoomed in. You can check the size of screw/ holes to get a sense of scale.

View attachment 153709

Pic after cleaning. Scratches gone

View attachment 153710

Questions
So here it is, a least customer centric company trying to do big business in the country.
Why a big company like MSI has such a pathetic customer support who are not reachable?
Why they have a laughably poor RMA process and why they have no idea about status of the same?
Even if its damaged, why they did not diagnose the actual fault? It could have been a minor issue?
Why they did not offer to fix it atleast on 'chargeable' basis? As long as it is feasible I would have agreed to it.
Why they keep looking for an excuse to disregard a genuine warranty claim? (like the scratches claim)
Why would they explicitly tell me that I can do whatever I want (post on forums or go to court)?

But just keep in mind about the so called MSI warranty and service when you set out to buy. YMMV ofcourse.
Put this on r/indiagaming, fb, twitter ...tag us and any other country msi you can along with it....raise a case on INGRAM as well..

I know it sounds troublesome but the amount of effort you have put in above additional effort has a much higher chance of success

This is really troubling.
If MSI is off the list, which mobo manufaturers left which produces good products and with a good customer support?

Earlier they had service centers in most major cities, then came franchises and now only one actual service center. This really shows that their Customer support is bleeding money.

I think their laptop service is even more horrible from years. Just search TE for old posts on msi. I frankly don't understand why people are still recommending msi products on this forum. Acer is another brand to avoid at all costs.

I face such issue with Intel ORIGINAL motherboard some where between 2000-2005. While 2 years warranty was left for board, they not only send different model board with LOADS of scratches & roughly uses marks on board but also didn't sent compatible I/O plate, just because I sent them Motherboard only and not I/O plate assuming that they will send back same board either repaired or new.

Without I/O plate I was unable to use board, then went to local metal sheet cuter company and they some how manage to cut the I/O plate, but was very ugly looks.

Questions

Why do you think they can do all that and not face any consequence whatsoever? Because Indian customers are stupid with lots of free cash in their hand. They know they got nothing to lose here. Why?

First, you won't do anything but maybe whine about it on social media for sometime and nothing will happen. If somehow, you are able to attract some attention then they will replace your product which they have to do officially anyhow. And it won't make any dent on their reputation which is not good already but still they manage to sell their products in bulk. So no loss for them whatsoever.

If you really think you have been cheated and you have a proof then your first step should be to send them a legal notice via email as well as registered post. You should direct it to MSI legal team, MSI service center and 3rd party service center and send all three of them this notice. Explain them your problem and timeline of what happened and when. Then explain your intentions and ask for 1-2L rs reimbursement for breaching the contract and mental harassment they have caused you. Give them 2 weeks to respond and if they do not then send them another notice by adding more money to reimbursement amount for sending 2nd legal notice. Your issue should be resolve by then but if they don't respond then file a consumer court case in your city. By now they will come begging to close your complaint. If they do not then remember, 90% consumer court case are won in favor of customer. And when a customer wins, he receives refund + interest earned + reimbursement for any expenses and troubles. Now you got nothing to lose considering you can prove your side.

They are taking advantage of you because you won't go to consumer court for such a small amount and spend time on a court case which can take 1-2 year.

I have filed 2 consumer court cases so far and won in 1 and another got settled for good money. 4 other didn't go to consumer court, they refunded after notices. Another one in process for Shiprocket because they lost my package and they agreed to refund but they are not doing it even after more than 2 months.

Last edited:
Back