MTNL Broadband Modem setup & Torrent

frm.bhb

Disciple
I am using MTNL Broadband in Thane. My queries :

1) at present MTNL charges Rs.50/- as monthly rental for ADSL modem. Is it advisable for me to buy a modem and surrender MTNL modem to save on rents. If so, which brand & modem should I buy? If possible the price of the modem and whether it is available in Lamington or where?

2) I'm using XP. Want to download torrent files. How to set up the same? I Read somewhere about port forwarding etc., but could not understand them. They also mention static IP etc etc.,

Any step-by-step approach will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

where in thane?? I stay at Kopri..

Btw you can go for Dlink Router for 1400 bucks or so.

ask Primeabgb at Lamington road for best price.

frm.bhb said:
2) I'm using XP. Want to download torrent files. How to set up the same? I Read somewhere about port forwarding etc., but could not understand them. They also mention static IP etc etc.,

Port forwarding, static IP and all setups are required only if there is issue with your ISP where it blocks certain ports.

In your case do this

1. Download torrent client (utorrent preferred) and install it

2. Download .torrent file from public or private trackers.

3. Open that torrent file with utorrent and your download should start.

I do the same as i need not do any sort of port forwarding or static IP stuff.

Additionally for your torrenting needs, i suggest you check P2P section of this forum.

frm.bhb said:
1) at present MTNL charges Rs.50/- as monthly rental for ADSL modem. Is it advisable for me to buy a modem and surrender MTNL modem to save on rents. If so, which brand & modem should I buy? If possible the price of the modem and whether it is available in Lamington or where?
I would strongly advice again buying your own adsl router, any good one should set you back by around 2kish, and the probability of a router working for more than 2 years is really low.Just get the MTNL ones, pay 50 rupees rent per month, and let them handle all the warranty issues.

Thank you in advance.

If you need torrent help, you can google almost anything.

if its port forwarding, its a little tricky advanced issue, but for newbies

Home/News | Simple Port Forwarding?

awesome application which gets the job done, if you need further help, you can contact me.

@vahss_1: I stay in Brindaban.

@Theotherguy : Thanks for ur suggestion. I like the calculation : Rent : 50 per month x 12 months x 2 years = Rs.1200/- otherwise I have to spend close to Rs.2000/- now for a good ADSL modem. Thanks.

New doubt:

Yesterday I installed the modem in XP. the page 192.168.1.2 is accessible in IE. But internet connectivity is not there. What settings should be added (for MTNL Broadband) ?

I have used Tools, Test in the page 192.168.1.2. Result is :
Testing ethernet connection: PASS
ADSL line for Sync : PASS

Testing internet connectivity : Fail,Fail,Fail,Fail.

the ADSL LED stays On (after blinking at the beginning)
But the NETWORK (two screen icon) in the system tray says a Red Cross. It says network cable unplugged !!!

But in the control panel, network, ASL-25020 shows connected. 1394 Net Adapter shows - connected. But Realtek PCIeGBE family controller - Not connected - cable unplugged ???

ANY HELP please.

^^ Have you entered your broadband id and password in modem ???
You id is your telephone number (in most cases <telephone_no>@a eg: 2898xxxx@a)
and password is your CA number, you can find that on your telephone bill.

yeah. I did that.

I just got 7 page pdf from Mtnl website, for the modem utstar i'm having. I will follow those steps tonight and see. Anyway thanks you.

Back