MTNL Broadband Queries

NDragger

Disciple
I decided to get MTNL Combo Plan ( Rent free landline + Broadband ) 495/mnth.
Today i sms'ed them for a BB Connection, i received a call back and they told me i'll get the connection within 8 days :)

few queries
1. Any idea what will be the total cost of installation, any deposit ?
2. They asked if you need the modem i denied the offer so can you tell me which modem is compatible and where i can get it.
3. What other things i should take care off.

Do they really provide the Connection in 8 days :unsure:

Thanks for the help :)

1. Installation charges r written on website. Nothing extra will be charged.
2. Any ADSL router available. The store will tell u which will work with MTNL. I use Linksys WAG54G2. Also hav used Dlink 502T but it gav trouble.
3. Make sure u dont hav parallel lines. The main line must go directly to router/splitter then continue to phone. This is the main reason for many not having stable net. Mine only disconnects once every 6hrs which is normal.

They may install in 1 wk or 1month. Keep bugging them if u want to get it faster. Since ur getting ur own router it should be faster.

Awww shoot! wish you were from Delhi. I checked MTNL Mumbai site, its not showing any new offer like this. You may call and check with them, they might be having some promo going. BTW chances are little less :p

I am using Linksys WAG120N as a wifi router + ADSL modem and it is working fine. There are a lot of other alternatives too at around 3K.

-edit-

this looks to be a better alternative to the ones you suggested

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dsl-...D4KY4UNGYCZFG&icmpid=reco_pp_same_router_1_uc

While the 2730U has 150 N speed, this has 300 N speed and the reviews in Flipkart also mention good connectivity through multiple walls. the Linksys WAG120N which I suggested above is not recommended if you need that kind of signal strength.

The 2750U also has a USB port for added functionality, and is cheaper than Linksys WAG120N.

I just bought a router+modem a few days back .
i Got the netgear one for 2200 , but the seller said that d-link one for 1800 sells much more as it has 3 years warranty instead of two and its cheaper and does the same work
I got netgear instead cause i want to use the wifi in 2 floors , and it has a little better range .
If you have a smaller house , i.e just one floor , D-link is the way to go .

It is around 12 days now and no connection yet!
damn! they promised it will be done in 8 days!
i tried calling them but they keep routing me here and there!

I got my connection the next day, call them up and ask contact of the local guy. Call the guy up and tell him to come get the connection done.

After connection done:
Run a ping test to the DNS server
Check for ping drops or request timed out/destination unreachable
Check speed is as promised by checking on sites like speedtest etc
Download some file and test speed.
keep the persons number handy ;)

Back