MTNL overcharge?

Rivunited

Adept
i have been using the mtnl NU849 plan for last 1 week and 2day i chked my balance to see tht i have already exceeded by 1gb.
so i chked the session summary as i was curious how i managed to exceed so much so fast when i found tht mtnl has been charging me even in the FREE download time slot!

i restart my modem evrynite at 12am and start my downloads.. but apparently mtnl still charges me randomly in between .....

this is wut the log shows:
11/12/07 6:03 AM to 11/12/07 8:45 AM 1272602114 340.27 MB
^ thts one occasion out of many.

how is it tht mtnl suddenly thot of charging me from 6:03am even tho im in the FREE download time slot? and my download was on entire nite so if any1 says i didnt restart my modem (which i did) it shud have counted the entire nite download. whts the explanation for such random charges and wut shud i do?

MTNL didnt charge you for 6:30 to 8:45 they have have charged you for 8:00 am to 8:45 am.

I myself use MTNL and never restarted modem after 12, they automatically create different sessions for their users :)

tht impossible... i use utorrent scheduler to shut off download at 8am sharp.

so how can it still be downloading?? :S :S

here is a screenshot of the usage:

85992704ui5.jpg

I agree with ultra_vires there is infact no need of restarting router they automatically creates new session.regarding your problem i too faced similar kind of problems and after close inspection I found out MNTL's watch runs 27-28 minutes off time(it was early for me i.e. 11:30pm to 7:30am) than our watches(read correct time).I complained demanding reasons but nothing happened as was expected.

You check out your timings and start your downloads accordingly.BTW I am from Delhi(you're from mumbai I guess).

To avoid over charge = Disconnect MODEM on 11.40 pm, start on 12.10 am again disconnect at 7.40 am and start on 8.20 am.

My 2 cents

using uTorrent's scheduler Alone wont do.
Connection needs to be broken b4 8.
Or the session will remain up, hence counted in the billing software...
Although that sucks, thats the way it is.
I dial in @ 12:10 AM, and Disconnect at 7:50. Works perfect.

shotgun said:
using uTorrent's scheduler Alone wont do.
Connection needs to be broken b4 8.
no mate you're wrong here,session automatically gets reset at 8am you need not stop the download or restart your router,its all autamated.I have checked.So its like lets suppose you start a download at 9pm and it continues till 10am in the morning continuously then you will only be charged for 9pm to 12am+8am to 10am.Well It was like thet for me atleast.

The only problem is their timing is different then the standard which I dunno why(i did complain but what can you expect from MTNL? and I don't have time for RTI and consumer court:( ).Note down your timing from session history page and match it with standard timing.Even 20-25min. of additional usage at 2mbps can do a lot of damage so be careful.

tusharrastogi said:
i think they don't overcharge i have been using it for last 3 years and i have 949 plan for it with unlimited download ...i hope it works fine.

LMAO.......Dude just tell me how can they overcharge you?hehe its all free for you.

Rivunited , they charged you because you didn't shut your modem at 8. as a result they will charge you from that 6.03 to 8.45. i also don't know why or how they calculate and come up with 6.03 ( maybe a reconnection with the mtnl server at that time ) . it has happened to me also.

you have to switch / restart at 8.

Ravi_D said:
n... blah ....(i did complain but what can you expect from MTNL? .......

Dunno about download timings etc, but this above statement caught my attention - and have a Question.

Has anyone had a better experience with regards to complaints etc with any other major Telco like say - Reliance - Tata tele - VSNL - Bharti or any other? I know I haven't.

In fact in MTNL I can talk to and have have access to a heirachy of officers and someone does eventually provide a solution. With Private players, good luck getting past the call center drones.

Ravi_D said:
no mate you're wrong here,session automatically gets reset at 8am you need not stop the download or restart your router,its all autamated.I have checked.So its like lets suppose you start a download at 9pm and it continues till 10am in the morning continuously then you will only be charged for 9pm to 12am+8am to 10am.Well It was like thet for me atleast.

The only problem is their timing is different then the standard which I dunno why(i did complain but what can you expect from MTNL? and I don't have time for RTI and consumer court:( ).Note down your timing from session history page and match it with standard timing.Even 20-25min. of additional usage at 2mbps can do a lot of damage so be careful.

Could you post a copy of your bill , if not inconvenient, I have been avoiding MTNL as I do not wish to go in for the stop start route.

@ others > what are the actual download speeds night unlimited users are getting at night.

download speeds are arnd 200kbps depending on download source.
i have been using bridge mode, with scheduler scripts do dial-in and dial-out.
so dont need to restart adsl modem.
if adsl modem is configured to connect automatically once switched on. (default) for most. then maybe the server timing things will matter.

I have had to disconnect before 8 am and connect after 12. if not, mtnl charges

TheIndian said:
Could you post a copy of your bill , if not inconvenient, I have been avoiding MTNL as I do not wish to go in for the stop start route.
I currently don't have that plan But You can check that with some friend,Just have a look at the session page on their website.I have not confirmed that with anybody else but this is what used to be with me.....I had crossed that 8am limit several times and I wasn't charged for 12am to 8am.But please do check out yourself before making any decision.

And yea customer support of MTNL broadband is crap.You will have to use it to believe it.

Back