MTNL Ping Spikes . Gamers Nightmare!! HELP :S

Hi ,

I have been a faithful MTNL Broadband user for the past 4-5 years .
But it has started irritating me again :/ .
The problem is that i suffer from lagspikes and gaming is a pain (i lag for 1-2 seconds in every 10-15 seconds) .
Upon a lot of google search i did some of the following things .

Basic information :-
Plan - 800 2mbps night plan
Modem - WA-3002-g1 (wifi modem+router)
Rig - You can check my signature .
OS - windows 7 64 bit
SnR and Attenuation -
33l2jon.png

The Ping spike problem -
j0i5js.png

What i have tried till now :-
1. upon google search, i pinged google.com while playing games and i noticed that my ping to google went from 12-15 to 200-500 whenever i lagged in games .
2. some one said it could be splitter or wire problem , i called line man , he fixed wires , i cleaned my modem n all the wires and ports , i have also tried connecting modem directly to line , still no luck , so all these are not the culprits .
3. now , google baba said ping your router as well as google together , and i noticed they lag spike together / concurrently .
so its the connection to router thats causing the problem .
4. now courtesy GB(google baba) i went to safe mode with networking and pinged 192.168.1.1( my modem ) , and to my amazement everything was fine . the ping was <1ms for 100-200 runs .
5. This immidiately pointed out problem with some software , so i uninstalled many softwares , that i dint need , plus stopped boot processes , none helped .
6. uninstalled my network interface card (on board) drivers and plugged modem in , windows searched for drives and BAM internet was running smooth . games were better than ever .
7. Happy time ? well not if you have killer combo of windows+MTNL :(
8. after a restart , the ping spike and lag is back , i tried connecting my laptop directly to modem and the ping to the modem were perfect , in windows 7-32bit as well as windows xp 32-bit (laptop has dual boot)

Now the only thing that comes into my mind is . Reinstall windows :/ , and im not even sure if thatll solve the problem .
MTNL customer care is of no help at all , and i come here as a last resort .
Please HELP me pinpoint the problem .
i really dont want to back up so much data and reinstall windows . *sigh*

Thanks for help anyways :D

and i thought i was the only one facing this problem
In your case there are only spikes but in my case i get a single request timed after every 10-15 lines. For me mtnl is acting really weird since feb of this year.

I am planning to switch to spectranet as their service is really good in my area but i just need to confirm about their pings to asian servers.

This isn't an MTNL issue mate, the problem's at your end, since you have issues pinging your own router. The problem started a few days/weeks ago, so you might try to do a system restore. From the point when there were no problems, can you remember the modifications you may have done (new apps). Any suspicious or unneeded program during start-up? It may be a program hogging the network by trying to access the net (maybe updates?). Lastly, it might also be a virus.
Best thing to do is use HijackThis try to find any suspicious entry.

#H_D Do let me know how spectranet works .
#GnR
I know its something with my pc and not MTNL
I doubt its a virus or some program . i think it is my Ethernet port drivers . windows automatically downloads them and i think they are not good for windows 7 .
That's why the lag . i cant even buy a Ethernet card as my HUGE 6950 eats up all the slots . ill have to get a new mobo , if that's the culprit . sigh :(

Before you do that, try the sure-shot identification process: reformat your PC, clean install Win 7 and see how it goes. If it fails then, then yeah, time for hardware purchase. You don't have any PCI slot free?

I just did a fresh install of windows 7 . i think the problem is solved , but ill test it and get back .
And nop . no PCI slots free , The GPU covers 1 PCI-e slot (the one it is inserted into) and 1 PCI slot (because its too thick)
And finishes just before the start of 2nd PCI slot , i cant use this one also because the new cards will block the fans and both the
cards will get heated up . So practically no PCI slots on this mobo :/

sigh .
The dreaded lag is still there :(
and i installed win xp 7 and 8 today . it wasnt there in xp and 8 .
it wasnt there in 7 either for a few runs . but after 4-5 restarts and installing of few necessary softwares like winrar vlc utorrent and my dear cod4 . it is back :X !!
I am really clueless about the problem now !
its almost certain that this is a software issue ! but which 1 , it is impossible to track :(

Back