MTNL Triband + WiFi users ... please respond

paraman

Adept
Currently I am using a Rel Wimax 400kbps connection and I have installed a wifi router which gives me wireless internet access all over the house. 2-3 devices can access the internet simultaneously.

I am paying Rs. 999+taxes to Reliance. In the same amount MTNL is offering a 512kbps connection. I was hoping that Reliance would upgrade its plans during the festival season at least. But as of today there is no change. So I am thinking of switching over to MTNL.

What I want to know is whether MTNL allows more than one device to access the internet simultaneously? Like I am currently doing with Rel.

Can I use my current Buffalo whr-hp-g54 router with it or does MTNL provide its own wifi router?

What is MTNL's login method? Is there a static or dynamic IP?

MTNL Triband users, kindly respond.

Cheers!

Few things i know:

>>Yes u can access the net simultaneously with more than one device.

>>MTNL provides wireless modem with extra charge(or u may use yours)

>>Static or dynamic depending on the plan, check their tariff page.

Btw i'm from Delhi.

With wifi router in place, the number of devices that can access the net simultaneously is not dependent on your ISP at all i suppose.

raksrules said:
With wifi router in place, the number of devices that can access the net simultaneously is not dependent on your ISP at all i suppose.
Yup, cos all devices would be sharing the connection n won't cost the ISP anything extra.

plsoft said:
>>MTNL provides wireless modem with extra charge(or u may use yours)
MTNL is currently providing both normal and wireless routers for free.. :eek:hyeah: The offer is valid till 31st October '09.. Just read it in today's Loksatta (local marathi newspaper).

@OP
If you're living in Delhi, then you're out of luck.. :( This offer is for only Mumbai MTNL users AFAIK..:)
plsoft said:
>>Static or dynamic depending on the plan, check their tariff page.
I'm using the Rs.999/- 512kbps U/L plan that the OP is talking about and I have dynamic IP:hap2:

Ya, I read the ad too and that's why I put up my queries.

@ mihir, do you have a wifi network at your home? Does MTNL use a dialer or a webpage login?

plsoft & rakrules, thanks for your replies!

yes i am on that plan.... 512kbps @ 1000rs....

i have taken a wifi router through which 3 other laptops work...

now my whole house is wifi...

all together we are using 4 computers....

1 desktop through lan and 3 lappy through wifi...

it requires no login stuff...

just keep the modem switched on...

paraman said:
@ mihir, do you have a wifi network at your home? Does MTNL use a dialer or a webpage login?
No, at the moment I don't have wi-fi. Called up MTNL today for a wi-fi router and they said that it will take atleast 15 days for me to get it.. :(

Do we compulsorily have to use MTNL's wifi router and keep paying monthly rental or can we use our own wifi routers?

@ rockyhalo

What option did you choose? Own modem or rental modem? How much rent do you pay?

AFAIK MTNL charges you Rs.75/- per month as rental for the Wi-Fi router and Rs. 50/- for the wired one.

I don't know what company's routers they are installing these days, but I got the UTStarcom one and it has been functioning pretty well for almost 10 months now. Looks like some cheap chinese box though. LOL. No hassles, keep it switched on and 3 laptops in my house can catch decent strength signal. It even covers upto one floor above and below. I am very satisfied with it.

I personally do not use MTNL but have a couple of friends whom I have helped in setting up their personal Wireless Routers.

It's extremely simple; most MTNL Modems come pre configured to dial and authenticate your account themselves using a PPPoE client built into them. All you need to do is plug in your router into the modem; set it to obtain an IP address via DHCP and you're done. I recommend using your own router since the configuration options on the MTNL provided Huawei routers are quite limited.

Plus; if at any time in the future you need to switch from MTNL to another provider you would already have a router ready and not need to pay whatever premium the provider charges for a router.

Regards.

MTNL waives off the rental on routers if you opt for the "Unlimited" plans. You can also use your own compatible ADSL2+ router/modem instead of the one provided by MTNL if you do not want to pay rent.

There is no dialer/webpage login for authentication. the username and password are stored on the router and everytime you switch it on, authentication takes place automatically which is completed within a 20-30 seconds. This is how it works in PPPOE mode.
If the router is in BRIDGE mode the I guess the default windows dialer can be used but I am not sure.

Back